Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Thread: Where In The World is Carmen San...er, Troy Howarth?

Where In The World is Carmen San...er, Troy Howarth?

I have a little too much time on my hands right now so I started this thread. It's probably in the wrong section but the mods (Troy Howarth, perhaps?) will eventually move it or trash it, depending on how it is viewed.

So, after the site melted down last year and many members melted away with it, one contributor's absence sort of stuck out like a sore thumb. No, it wasn't Sean Francis (what ever happened to that guy?) -it was our favorite Christopher Lee fan Troy Howarth. (Hey, Troy, are you related to the original Halloween theme composer?) Anyway, it's been a while since I've been here (a run-in with Bill Olsen from Code Red shamed me off the site but we're friends now I think) so I basically forgot about him but a friend (fellow poster Oceanblue - also missing here) pointed out that he is currently writing essays for Arrow. Is this the same Troy Howarth? Our Troy? So what, he dumps us for Arrow? Can't he contribute essays for the Brits AND chat with us here? What, he's too good for AV Maniacs? Hey, Troy, why don't you come out of the shadows and rejoin the world of internet movie forums? We miss ya, buddy! lol. And I really miss that huge black & white photo of Christopher Lee you used as your avatar. Not sure why you chose a photo of the man looking like a banker as opposed to one of him as Dracula but that avatar always made me smile whenever it popped up. I would always think, hey Troy is on. He always had something interesting to say. Well, almost always. Anyway, just came out of the woodwork myself to say this. Troy: wherever you are, here or across the pond or on some cabin in Eastern Canada, please know that you are missed and that you had at least one fan here. Peace out.
    Why would I want something with a mind of it's own bobbing up and down between my legs?

Registered User John M. Bernhard's Avatar

Re: Where In The World is Carmen San...er, Troy Howarth?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Domenech View Post
    (fellow poster Oceanblue - also missing here) pointed out that he is currently writing essays for Arrow.
    He wrote the booklet for the Limited Edition of Mondo Macbro's release of LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN.
    I think he is on FB too, but not sure why I think that exactly ( as I never go there).

I hate to sound blunt here,but Troy pretty much bailed out on the forum during the crucial time when the forum really needed a moderator to control all of the outbreaking mayhem that occurred during that time,for since then(after his controversial moderator times) Troy has pretty much stuck to writing liner notes for Arrow Films and Mondo Macabro and bringing out books,as well as the majority of almost every former regular ppls keeping busy with their Blogspot movie blogs and personal websites,as well as being regulars on social media networks(mainly Facebook and Twitter). You can find Shawn Francis at his DVD News Flash site(where he's been keeping busy),as well.

Hello again, I was completely shocked to see this forum up & running!!! In a good way. In the past I may have not been the most active poster but always enjoyed this place for the community. With all the stuff that has happened, both personality wise & internet connection wise I kept coming back every so often to see it this place was still alive but kept getting linked to other places. Low & behold I just had to scroll down the main page & see the forum is still going, not as active but I've quickly scrolled around & it stills feels the same. I'll try to be more active in posting because I've tried a few other forums & they don't have the same vibe as this place.

Sadly, this place is a shell of its former self. I used to visit here every day, and now I'm lucky to check here once a week. There's very few new posts, and it's more or less an archive anymore. I'm not even sure that Edwin has much to do with the site anymore. It's certainly not the center of activity it was when I joined back in something like 2001/2002. Facebook has been the nemesis of online forums, and this place is no different. Sad, as this place used to be THE place to post.
    "It's a strange world, isn't it?" - BLUE VELVET

Quote Originally Posted by Zane C. View Post
    Sadly, this place is a shell of its former self. I used to visit here every day, and now I'm lucky to check here once a week. There's very few new posts, and it's more or less an archive anymore. I'm not even sure that Edwin has much to do with the site anymore. It's certainly not the center of activity it was when I joined back in something like 2001/2002. Facebook has been the nemesis of online forums, and this place is no different. Sad, as this place used to be THE place to post.
    It truely is sad, when I think of all the folks I got to "know" through this forum & trading dvd's, (some I still trade with, but rarely). I must be missing something on Facebook as I don't see any great movie groups on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kewley View Post
    It truely is sad, when I think of all the folks I got to "know" through this forum & trading dvd's, (some I still trade with, but rarely). I must be missing something on Facebook as I don't see any great movie groups on there?
    There are some good groups on FB, but none have the same vibe this place once had. I like FB, and have met some great folks to trade with, but this place, in its heyday, had FB beat, in terms of its comradery and social interactions. Forums are no longer the novelty they once were, due to the rise of FB and other social media. Personally, I still belong to a few forums, though, as it just seems they are more quaint and personable in some cases, and long before FB, they were there.

And from one longtime member to another, anytime you'd like to trade, Chris, lemme know! I'm sure we could trade!
    "It's a strange world, isn't it?" - BLUE VELVET

Well that would be awesome Zane, don't think that link in my sig works anymore besides I haven't updated that list in many years.
    I have tried other forums (IE RS&P...etc) and even though allot of the folks from here are on there it just wasn't the same, I do skim the forum from time to time... really hoping for a Howard Farmer (think that was his name) review of the latest Bond, always enjoyed reading his take on the subject.

Does anyone know who still runs this site or can make corrections? Any link to the forum, at least on Explorer, seems to be a dead/misdirected link. The only way I can gain access is by scrolling down the main page & clicking on a open thread, the top one I think is Al Edwards Kino thread.

Yeah, I started a similar thread about this forum falling by the wayside a while back:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51438

Like seemingly everything else here, it petered away, too........

Quote Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
    Yeah, I started a similar thread about this forum falling by the wayside a while back:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51438

Like seemingly everything else here, it petered away, too........
    Thanks Tony, I ripped through that thread & It was a good little read. I was a daily reader of this forum, occasional poster until all the hacking stuff & outages took me away. I still came back weekly but could never gain access to the forum until this last try a few weeks ago. I don't recall some of the drama posters were talking about in your thread but that may have happened in a sub forum I didn't frequent. I do recall the great "forum battle" between DVD Maniacs & Laternia (amongst other things) members signing up just to spam the shit out of both places.....can't recall what it was over totally, maybe actual actors/directors signing up here & not there....whatever. When Ian did leave it did punch a big hole here no 2 ways about that but I felts this place still had a decent vibe going on. I used to trade movies with his then girlfriend now wife through the craziness that was the Fangoria forums if you ever thought this place was crazy, man that place was on a whole other level. I'm just glad this place is still around, will it ever come back...one can hope

Troy has written a ton of books, is writing a ton more, and is doing a lot of great stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Millan View Post
    I hate to sound blunt here,but Troy pretty much bailed out on the forum during the crucial time when the forum really needed a moderator to control all of the outbreaking mayhem that occurred during that time,for since then(after his controversial moderator times) Troy has pretty much stuck to writing liner notes for Arrow Films and Mondo Macabro and bringing out books,as well as the majority of almost every former regular ppls keeping busy with their Blogspot movie blogs and personal websites,as well as being regulars on social media networks(mainly Facebook and Twitter). You can find Shawn Francis at his DVD News Flash site(where he's been keeping busy),as well.
    Nobody "bailed" on the forum. A number of moderators left because they had no power to do anything on the site, and it was an uphill battle trying to get anything done. Richard D. does a great job here because the permissions that earlier mods were denied was finally (and rightfully) granted to him.

Arrow All forums are on a terminal spiral.

People, it is not looking good for any World-Wide Web forum.
    Supposedly, Facebook is the core case for this. (I wouldn't know. I am not on Facebook. I do not want to go on Facebook.)
    Even Ian's 'newer' forum is dwindling down to nothing but members posting an image and a link to a DVD producer's next release.
    Can I do something about this? Maybe. I just visited Japan again. But this time, I shopped in Osaka rather than Tokyo and Yokohama. I think I did well. I didn't find any small independent shops. But I bought JAVs from TSUTAYA and Don Quijote. I set a new limit for the upper price I would pay. It has dropped from 500 to 300. I am in the process of translating titles.
    ■ The United States is a nation of laws: Badly written and randomly enforced. ■
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Domenech View Post
    So, after the site melted down last year and many members melted away with it...
    Who melted and what? Did something happen?
    "Hey Butt-Head, I dreamed I was at school last night. Do you think that counts for attendance?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa R View Post
    Who melted and what? Did something happen?

Forum go belly-up, members go belly out. The end.
    Why would I want something with a mind of it's own bobbing up and down between my legs?

Registered User Garrett Sorensen's Avatar

I used to be a semi-regular here and stopped for a bit because my wife put a censorship thingy on our connection that prevented this site. Sorry to hear that around that time things went downhill. As for Troy, the guy was instrumental in getting me into Mario Bava and when I expressed my frustration of not being able to see ALL Bava films he gave me copies of Caltiki, Road to Fort Alamo, Savage Gringo, Evil Eye, Venus of Ill and various other Italian horror films. So yeah, don't pick on the guy. When I saw that he had written some more books to glowing reviews I mentally fistbumped and just saw that he provided commentary to the bluray of Caltiki, along with Tim Lucas whose bloated Bava book I sold because I didn't need a bio of every crewmember that worked on a Bava film.