Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie That You Watched - Part 5

The Last Movie That You Watched - Part 5

Portrait of Jason (1967) - A spectacularly entertaining hour and a half with Jason Holliday (aka Aaron Payne), a flamboyant homosexual prostitute, sometime houseboy and aspiring night club entertainer. He gets progressively drunker as he regales Shirley Clarke and her crew with a series of fascinating stories and reflections. Things get hairy near the end as personal relations between Shirley, Jason and her crew bleed into the film.
    "Sylvia, didn't you see me wave my zen stick?"

Re: The Last Movie That You Watched - Part 5

TELEFON (1977). On an old friend Bronson kick, a prevalent situation that luckily happens ever so often. A top Bronson film with a great cast, particularly Lee Remick is excellent. For some reason director Don Siegel decided to shoot it all soft, a cinematic look I do detest in films especially colour films, but can't dislike this Charlie classic for that it's basically terrific through and through. Rare for a Bronson film though, the star himself doesn't even appear until 20 minutes into it while Remick enters at 35 minutes. Anyway, many cool scenes to enjoy and much of the dialogue (script by Peter Hyams) is still on one's mind long after viewing.
    Addicted to microwave popcorn.
    All that glitters.

Started The Prisoner TV series....
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (1989) - I liked this one marginally better than #2. Dudikoff is out, but I don't consider him a big draw, so David Bradley is okay with me ... barely okay, but okay. Steve James is still here, which is the important thing anyway. Marjoe Gortner is the villain and that's never a bad thing. Where #2 tended to be a little dull at times, this one is just batshit crazy. It makes little sense and I love it for that.

SARTANA THE GRAVEDIGGER (1969). A rather lame spaghetti western, basically another kill-em-all with John Garko in the title role, ill-fitting as he is I must confess. He played the character before and would again, but has as much credibility in the part as Brad Pitt would as a President. Sartana fans may disagree, but this type of (predominantly silent) avenger role requires other fitting qualities than a photogenic face, for one thing believability that you are this character and Garko doesn't possess that in my opinion. Perhaps some of the other films in the franchise will change that, but he lacks what a Nero, Hill, Hilton or Gemma would bring. Most who play this sort of mysterious man-in-black, end up as Eastwood clones anyway. Klaus Kinski turns up, dubbed as usual, as another card playing gunslinger but their meetings have but the familiar tricks and trades of the genre. Meaning dozens of oneliners and blank staring, missing plenty of opportunities of blowing each other away. That peculiar spaghetti western ballet logic, where ever so often it's more comedy than seriousness.
    Addicted to microwave popcorn.
    All that glitters.

The Big Gundown
    is every bit as good as claimed. Lee Van Cleef excels in the lead. The man on the run is good too and typically over the top in his style.
    Nicely staged action sequences and a good episodic chase format.

The Birds
    Finally caught up with the blu-ray. Decided to watch it after reading Hitchcok Making of the Birds (which is essentially a poorly edited transcription of lots of previously published interviews. It also borrows liberally from the All About the Birds doc that was issued with the first deluxe DVD of the film). The blu-ray is fantastic! All of the opticals and matte work are superb. The only thing that oddly stands out is the filters used for "Tippi's" close ups. Much of the time those simply don't match the rest of the film, but Hitch wanted her to have beauty shots at all times. The attack on the diner is a tour de force. The marvelous set up with the bird expert lady and all the diners is killer. So many shots and compositions as a thing of beauty.

The Last Tycoon (2012) - This certainly seems like it should be an exciting film ... produced by Andy Lau and starring Chow Yun-Fat and Sammo Hung. Unfortunately, it's really not. It's a fairly routine war melodrama. Not bad by any stretch, but not memorable either.

Pioneers in Ingolstadt (1971) - So much of early Fassbinder seems to be an answer to the question "What would it be like if Bertolt Brecht staged a Douglas Sirk melodrama?" It would be pretty amazing. There's a pretty routine story here about small town girls romancing visiting soldiers, but Fassbinder's deliberate distancing tricks and fierce, cruel sense of humour transform it into something quite different. This appears to be set during WWII, but there are so many deliberate anachronisms that it becomes very hard to pin down.

The Untouchables (1987) - De Palma's best film working in a strictly commercial mode, and possibly his best overall. It's his most consistently entertaining film with a broadly pulpy and direct visual style that perfectly matches the screenplay. I'm not Costner's biggest fan, but his folksy Gary Cooper persona is used to the best effect it can be. Connery has certainly done better work, but he's the highlight of this film and largely deserved the Oscar he got for being Sean Connery. As usuial, there are some dazzling, ornate De Palma set pieces and they are among his very best.

Rewatched Wolfman 2010 with Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins

still sux.

Big fan of the Untouchables. "What are you prepared to do?"

Searching for Sugar Man (2012) - Wow is this overhyped. I don't really buy this at all. First, it acts incredulous that a talented singer/songwriter (and he is quite talented) would >gasp< not be successful. Second, it asks you to accept that a bunch of white musicians who liked this guy almosat single-handedly brought down the Apartheid system. Third, it asks you to accept the claim that it took decades to locate someone who's name, record company and location were pretty well known. Finally, we're asked to be stunned by the fact that a popular musician had a small successful tour. A nice story ... but Jesus Christ, what's so unusual about any of this?

Beautiful Boy (2010) - A fairly good idea is executed with only moderate success. Looking at a tragic mass shooting from the perspective of the parents of the shooter is novel, but the film ultimately just enters the same territory as the far superior "Rabbit Hole". Michael Sheen, Maria Bello and Alan Tudyk are just fine, but there's precious little here of interest.

Gunman on the Streets (1950)
    Obscure film noir shot in Francs - not that great, Dane Clark in the lead can't
    rally carry it.

The Passing Show - The Life & Music of Ronnie Lane
    Absolutely tender, fun and engaging doc about Ronnie Lane form The Small Faces,
    The Faces and the Rough Mix album with Pete Townsend. For a great while he took a
    ragtag traveling show on the road, put up a tent and played to the wild country sides..
    they had like 40 or 60 people at a gig but what a sense of music and passion. It goes into his decline
    with MS and how the famed ARMS concerts were undermined when the woman who ran his foundation
    took the funds. Great footage of him on sage in Austin singing his songs with the musicians there. He could
    have grabbed a few songwriting credits on hit albums and had a good life but instead chose to indulge this
    gypsy side of him and follow a musical muse that left him constantly broke and inspired.

G.B.H. (1983) - A really extraordinarily incompetent film. Things as basic as the editing of the film's climax are so badly done that it's largely incomprehensible. It's less than an hour and 15 minutes long, but still manages to waste a lot of time watching ugly people dancing in clothing that's too small.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - Matthew McConaughey's career resurrgence continues with a pretty amazing performance in this film by French Canadian director Jean-Marc Vallée. Jared Leto is back too ... his promising career appeared to have been totally derailed by that awful Mark Chapman flick. The film is really a fairly typical issue film (the FDA approval process in this case) with a main character who is redeemed by a crisis, but it's an unusually subtle film. It does openly manipulate the viewer of make too much out of the main character's transformation.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast