Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Last Movie That You Watched - Part 5

Re: The Last Movie That You Watched - Part 5

Memoirs of a Sinner(1985)-My favorite of the four films by Has I have seen so far in the retrospective. Opening sequence is full of atmosphere, mood and great use of tracking shot. Very Bavaesque in its themes and some of the ideas.

Codes(1966)-If Memoirs reminded me of Bava, this feels a little like pre Bertolucci. Enigmatic film about the fate of the youngest son of the main protagonist. Covers similar themes the later made, The Spider's Stratagem would deal with except this is the reversal of that film with the protagonist trying to find out more about his father's fate, this deals with the main character who tries to find out what happened to his son who disappeared.
    "I'd rather see the world The way it used to be"

Psychopathia Sexualis (2006): An adaptation of the same-titled study of sexual perversions, this low-budget effort has a promising start. The style is completely ripped off of those Investigation Discovery-type TV crime shows that are filled with reenactments, and this ripoff style was a good idea on how to present the material with limited resources and still be entertaining. After getting to see a few semi-intriguing reenactments of people doing dirty filthy little things, the bulk of the film instead covers attempted treatments for perversions and then a whole lot of uninteresting chatter followed by a very tame (and lame) story of a lesbian affair which hardly lives up to the title and promising beginning.

Except for one very brief scene, this movie totally fails to do what it could have done effectively. In reality, it shies away from being completely exploitative and perverse in itself, and as a result, it just isn't worthy of a recommendation.

Gold Dreams(1962)-Another film by Has that I like. Wonderful use of the landscapes presented in the film.

Meridian (1990) Charles Band's variation on "Beauty and the Beast". I remember wanting to see this on VHS but no local video store had it. I got this on one of those horror packs from Echo Bridge DVD.
    My Japanese idol blog - This Is Your Wake Up Call!

Rendezvous in July-Likable film with an mood of optimism before the emergence of events in French history though the next 2 or three decades would change this. Good performances by the main leads and supporting cast.

Toute une nuit-Atmospheric ensemble piece that plays out like an observational documentary in the way it focuses on the different characters within a certain area in Paris deal with their thoughts of boredom and romance.

ROBOCOP 2 (1990). Didn't remember this being such a dud but what an overall disappointment, it's basically one of those unfortunate sometimes failed sequels to a blockbuster. Main problems reside with the writers' material and direction, the tone here is more cartoon-like but neither funny or truly exciting (this took them three years?). Robo himself for stretches of the film, isn't even on screen while time is spent with other characters. Nancy Allen is completely wasted. It's hard to find a duller actor than Tom Noonan, he plays the lead heavy this time but I'd much rather have seen a John Glover for instance, instead he's seen in the film's opening TV commercial and even those are lifeless compared to the first film's little gems. In the original film, everything clicked where this time hardly anything does. Repeat offenders from ROBOCOP (1987) Dan O'Herlihy and Felton Perry sleepwalk through the mess, not surprisingly star Weller called it quits after this outing.
    Addicted to microwave popcorn.
    All that glitters.

I Shot Andy Warhol - Wonderful performance by Lili Taylor in the lead, too many long aimless scenes in The Factory.

Naked Kiss - Sam Fuller = WTF? marvelous combo of B movie trash and some kind of send up of the plastic smile
    middle American mindset. His scenes of social injustice hit you over the hear like a stiletto heel. And yet the ping pong effect
    between melodrama, taboo breaking and sleaze makes for a very compelling film. Way too bizarre to even classify. Shot well with
    killer production values despite the low budget
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

Supernatural(1933)-Good horror/crime film with a rare appearance by Carole Lombard in a genre film. She did a decent job in a pre stardom role. The possession scenes are very good. I noticed that two ghosts are at work in the story. One, for revenge and the other who acts as a guardian angel.

Hasta el viento tiene miedo(1968)-One of my favorite Mexican horror films. There is a memorable strip tease by one of the students before she is scared into a faint by a ghost staring through the window. There are moments that are Bava like.

Redeemer (2014)- A film that made my top 10 last year. Flat out fantastic martial arts micro budget action. I've only seen Zaror in one other flick, Undisputed 3, but man he is quickly climbing the list of entertaining action stars.

Hellhole (1985) on Scream Factory's YouTube stream a week or so ago.
    My Japanese idol blog - This Is Your Wake Up Call!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415