Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Thread: Stomach pounder

Stomach pounder

Has anybody ever thought to ask either John Carpenter or Adrienne Barbeau what this is supposed to be? Because apparently it is a big mystery that nobody via a basic google search seems to know.

Registered Loser

Re: Stomach pounder

First, you may want to add some context to your post: in THE FOG, Adrienne Barbeau's kid asks, "Mom, can I have a stomach pounder and a Coke?"

Is it really a mystery? It sounds to me like it's a play on "quarter pounder." Whatever it is, it's surely just a generic phrase for the kid wanting junk food without naming an actual brand.

I've met Adrienne a couple of times and never thought of asking her. What are the odds that she'd even recognize the line?

Yep. It really is a mystery. Nobody seems to really know, they just offer up their own guesses. But if it's something like a quarter pounder, then why would Adrienne answer back in the film "After lunch". Wouldn't he be too full to eat a burger immediately after lunch?

Context, schmontext. You knew what I was talking about. Anybody else around here that's worth their weight would, too.

I always assumed it was some kind of Vachon cake type of treat. If he wanted a "quarter pounder" I think he would have phrased the question differently like "Mom, can we go to such and such a place and get a stomach pounder and a coke?". Whatever it is, it sounds pretty hard hitting!
    I'd rather shoot for the moon and miss than aim for the gutter and make it

My wife and I watched the Fog today and right after that scene my wife asks: "What the hell is a stomach pounder?"

I had no answer.

I always thought it was one of those huge hard type candies. Like a hot ball, or a gobstopper.

I kinda thought it was a big ol' sundae of some sort, and that's probably only because an old ice cream parlor near me used to sell the Boston Belly Buster. That almost sounds like "stomach pounder". If your brain works as strangely as mine does.

Either way, I guess it says something about the film if certain fans are really all that interested in analyzing such a simple throwaway line.

VHS will never die! Lorne Marshall's Avatar

I'm just watching HALLOWEEN: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS, and the character Tim Strode hands nephew Danny what looks to be some kind of shake or energy drink.

Tim utters "This is the famous Tim Strode's stomach pounder. You down for the challenge?"

Danny takes a sip and makes a sour face. So, at least in this context (another John Carpenter film), a stomach pounder is a drink.

That's interesting given that Carpenter didn't really have anything to do with that film. Maybe it's a regional thing?

look here...
    http://scottbyorum.com/BLOG/?tag=stomach-pounder

- - - Updated - - -

look here...
    http://scottbyorum.com/BLOG/?tag=stomach-pounder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wolford View Post
    Uh, thanks, but that's just another unconfirmed hypothesis presented as if it were fact. Personally I don't quite understand why this guy's wife should assume that a Stomach Pounder has anything to do with Pop Rocks.

But yes, it certainly could be a dessert or candy item of some sort and is likely simply a fictional item.