Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95

Thread: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCERESS)

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Mac View Post
    Sorry but this isn't true.
    Cliff, could you give us some info on why SORCERESS isn't being released? It would be much appreciated.

  2. #47
    Boobs Beasts N Blood! R. Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,528

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Mac View Post
    Sorry but this isn't true.
    Bummer.....

  3. #48
    Registered User Matthew David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,741

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Let's hear your thoughts on the Sword & Sorcery set! Seems to be doing well if Amazon's rankings are any indication...

  4. #49
    Registered User Marty McKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    654

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Shout Factory screwed the pooch again and let the very stupid Bill Olsen moderate the commentary track. You'll learn next to nothing about DEATHSTALKER, such as "why did the director take his name off the movie?", "why does Barbi Benton have no (little) dialogue?", "why did Corman start making movies in Argentina?", and about fifty other questions you'd like answers to. Nothing about writer Howard Cohen. There's not even any talk about why DEATHSTALKER even exists, except a reference to "Roger Corman was really into swords and sorcery." There's discussion of missing scenes, but just vague ones. Was the film recut before its release or after its initial theatrical release? Olsen does ask three times, "Did Richard Hill like doing this?", which finally draws a sarcastic, "No, he hated it." The Shout Factory print (which looks nice) is about three minutes longer than the New Concorde DVD, so there must be some new footage.

    Haven't watched the DEATHSTALKER II director's cut yet. Hopefully there's no moderator on the commentary, because Wynorski doesn't need one.

    Seriously, Shout Factory needs to get its head out of its rear end and start using moderators who actually know something about A) the movie they're talking about and B) moviemaking.

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    ^^I believe that’s the same guy that moderated JACKSON COUNTY JAIL (Shout!) and BRUTE CORPS (Code Red). Both of those were ruined by Bill. The people involved with the films seemed very likeable and knowledgeable but Bill’s insulting and inane questions/comments made the tracks uncomfortable to listen too. I could feel the tension building as the interviews went on and really felt bad for BRUTE CORPS Writer/Producer Michael Kars. These commentary tracks are so bad I’m surprised they weren’t scrapped.

  6. #51
    Registered User Marty McKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    654

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    The JULIE DARLING commentary features unintended hilarity, since it's obvious star Isabelle Mejias *despises* Bill Olsen's idiocy. At one point in the film, as Mejias stirs Nestle Quik into a glass of milk, Olsen asks her, "Did you draw any inspiration from your childhood for stirring in the Quik?" To which Mejias incredulously replies, "Do you mean did I add something to the role by stirring in Nesquik? I don't think so!"

    Olsen also has a habit of nitpicking plot points that irritate the hell out of the filmmakers. I can't figure out how the Olsen brothers got photos of Shout Factory management in a hotel room with a few donkeys, because that's the only reason I can figure for allowing them to moderate commentaries. If there are any pro-Olsen-commentary opinions, I'd enjoy the discussion.

  7. #52
    Registered User Marty McKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    654

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post

    Haven't watched the DEATHSTALKER II director's cut yet. Hopefully there's no moderator on the commentary, because Wynorski doesn't need one.
    BTW, the DEATHSTALKER II commentary is the one ported from the old New Concorde DVD, which is fine. I recommend you hold on to that old disc, however, because Shout Factory's print is Wynorski's preferred director's cut, which is about ten minutes shorter than the New Concorde DVD. Since it's what Wynorski prefers, it's fine with me (and the extra footage is mostly terrible), but the edited portions of the original commentary containing Wynorski's hilarious bashing of the scenes make the old DVD a keeper.

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    760

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post
    Shout Factory screwed the pooch again and let the very stupid Bill Olsen moderate the commentary track. You'll learn next to nothing about DEATHSTALKER, such as "why did the director take his name off the movie?", "why does Barbi Benton have no (little) dialogue?", "why did Corman start making movies in Argentina?", and about fifty other questions you'd like answers to. Nothing about writer Howard Cohen. There's not even any talk about why DEATHSTALKER even exists, except a reference to "Roger Corman was really into swords and sorcery." There's discussion of missing scenes, but just vague ones. Was the film recut before its release or after its initial theatrical release? Olsen does ask three times, "Did Richard Hill like doing this?", which finally draws a sarcastic, "No, he hated it." The Shout Factory print (which looks nice) is about three minutes longer than the New Concorde DVD, so there must be some new footage.

    Haven't watched the DEATHSTALKER II director's cut yet. Hopefully there's no moderator on the commentary, because Wynorski doesn't need one.

    Seriously, Shout Factory needs to get its head out of its rear end and start using moderators who actually know something about A) the movie they're talking about and B) moviemaking.
    Thank you for you kind and constructive criticism.

  9. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    290

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post
    BTW, the DEATHSTALKER II commentary is the one ported from the old New Concorde DVD, which is fine. I recommend you hold on to that old disc, however, because Shout Factory's print is Wynorski's preferred director's cut, which is about ten minutes shorter than the New Concorde DVD. Since it's what Wynorski prefers, it's fine with me (and the extra footage is mostly terrible), but the edited portions of the original commentary containing Wynorski's hilarious bashing of the scenes make the old DVD a keeper.
    Marty, do you know what the story is behind the longer edit of "Deathstalker II"? What I mean is, with Shout! Factory's new release of Wynorski's preferred directors cut, was that the cut that was first released theatrically and on home video way back, or was that the longer edit present on the old New Concorde DVD?

  10. #55
    Registered User Marty McKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    654

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Koenig View Post
    Marty, do you know what the story is behind the longer edit of "Deathstalker II"? What I mean is, with Shout! Factory's new release of Wynorski's preferred directors cut, was that the cut that was first released theatrically and on home video way back, or was that the longer edit present on the old New Concorde DVD?
    Not positive, but I'm pretty sure the extra footage was added for television to increase the running time from about 75 to about 85 minutes (I don't remember the exact running times). Though it is full-frame, revealing cars parked on the street next to the Argentinian backlot, the New Concorde DVD is not a TV print, as it has nudity and gore. Two scenes I remember offhand: an early conversation between Toni Naples and the evil Monique Gabrielle (that adds nothing to the movie) and an action scene taken verbatim from DEATHSTALKER (the guy being dragged behind the horse and smacked into a tree) that has nothing at all to do with DEATHSTALKER II. That's just butchery.

    My guess is that Wynorski's cut saw theatrical release. I never saw the film on VHS, but I would bet New Concorde used the VHS for its DVD.


    Thank you for you kind and constructive criticism.
    Cliff, can you offer an explanation for Shout Factory's use of Bill Olsen on commentaries? Surely no one there believes he's doing a good job.

  11. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    760

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post
    Not positive, but I'm pretty sure the extra footage was added for television to increase the running time from about 75 to about 85 minutes (I don't remember the exact running times). Though it is full-frame, revealing cars parked on the street next to the Argentinian backlot, the New Concorde DVD is not a TV print, as it has nudity and gore. Two scenes I remember offhand: an early conversation between Toni Naples and the evil Monique Gabrielle (that adds nothing to the movie) and an action scene taken verbatim from DEATHSTALKER (the guy being dragged behind the horse and smacked into a tree) that has nothing at all to do with DEATHSTALKER II. That's just butchery.

    My guess is that Wynorski's cut saw theatrical release. I never saw the film on VHS, but I would bet New Concorde used the VHS for its DVD.


    Cliff, can you offer an explanation for Shout Factory's use of Bill Olsen on commentaries? Surely no one there believes he's doing a good job.

    Everyone has the right to their own opinion and can choose to either listen to it or not.

  12. #57
    Registered User John Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    This is an interesting subject. I have yet to see any of these films (I missed out on these titles) but the commentaries by these guys seem interesting!

  13. #58
    Registered User Marty McKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    654

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Mac View Post
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion and can choose to either listen to it or not.
    Cliff, with all due respect, that's not a satisfactory answer. I mean, of course what you say is right, but it doesn't address the problem. The point of a DVD commentary is to educate the listener about the history of the film, its creation, the people who made it, etc. You are producing, in effect, valuable historical documents, quite probably the only such document a film like DEATHSTALKER will ever see. I don't want to talk about DEATHSTALKER like it's CITIZEN KANE, but every film, I believe, deserves to have its story told. Putting Bill Olsen in charge of creating that story shows disrespect to the filmmakers, Corman, and all the fans who pay for the DVD because the film is important to them in some way. So it's not about "well, I can choose not to listen to it if I don't want to." I want to listen to it, because I want to know. I want to be educated. The DVD commentary is not a frivolous entertainment (though it can also be and some of the best are).

    I know that Shout Factory, in general, is better than that. I've seen what the company has done. Even in the Corman Collection, DVDs like GALAXY OF TERROR, ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, FORBIDDEN WORLD...those were done with great care and reverence. By using Olsen on more recent commentaries, it puts out the message that Shout Factory no longer cares. I don't like to believe that is true. In fact, I can't believe that it is. But the evidence...

  14. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    760

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post
    Cliff, with all due respect, that's not a satisfactory answer. I mean, of course what you say is right, but it doesn't address the problem. The point of a DVD commentary is to educate the listener about the history of the film, its creation, the people who made it, etc. You are producing, in effect, valuable historical documents, quite probably the only such document a film like DEATHSTALKER will ever see. I don't want to talk about DEATHSTALKER like it's CITIZEN KANE, but every film, I believe, deserves to have its story told. Putting Bill Olsen in charge of creating that story shows disrespect to the filmmakers, Corman, and all the fans who pay for the DVD because the film is important to them in some way. So it's not about "well, I can choose not to listen to it if I don't want to." I want to listen to it, because I want to know. I want to be educated. The DVD commentary is not a frivolous entertainment (though it can also be and some of the best are).

    I know that Shout Factory, in general, is better than that. I've seen what the company has done. Even in the Corman Collection, DVDs like GALAXY OF TERROR, ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, FORBIDDEN WORLD...those were done with great care and reverence. By using Olsen on more recent commentaries, it puts out the message that Shout Factory no longer cares. I don't like to believe that is true. In fact, I can't believe that it is. But the evidence...
    With all due respect, I don't need to answer either.

  15. #60
    Registered User John Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: Sword and Sorcery Collection (DEATHSTALKER 1&2, BARBARIAN QUEEN, WARRIOR & SORCER

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McKee View Post
    Cliff, with all due respect, that's not a satisfactory answer. I mean, of course what you say is right, but it doesn't address the problem. The point of a DVD commentary is to educate the listener about the history of the film, its creation, the people who made it, etc. You are producing, in effect, valuable historical documents, quite probably the only such document a film like DEATHSTALKER will ever see. I don't want to talk about DEATHSTALKER like it's CITIZEN KANE, but every film, I believe, deserves to have its story told. Putting Bill Olsen in charge of creating that story shows disrespect to the filmmakers, Corman, and all the fans who pay for the DVD because the film is important to them in some way. So it's not about "well, I can choose not to listen to it if I don't want to." I want to listen to it, because I want to know. I want to be educated. The DVD commentary is not a frivolous entertainment (though it can also be and some of the best are).

    I know that Shout Factory, in general, is better than that. I've seen what the company has done. Even in the Corman Collection, DVDs like GALAXY OF TERROR, ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, FORBIDDEN WORLD...those were done with great care and reverence. By using Olsen on more recent commentaries, it puts out the message that Shout Factory no longer cares. I don't like to believe that is true. In fact, I can't believe that it is. But the evidence...

    Some of the filmmakers might be a little long in the tooth or not remember exactly what to say while doing a commentary. I have yet to watch "Jackson County Jail" with commentary but I have been meaning to. More times than not a director or elsewise will need a moderator to keep him/her on track. So that does the film commentary good.

    However, I concur fully that the commentary is documented material and should be meaningful, preserved and treated with as much respect as the film itself, offering insight and education as to the film on hand.

    If I may act as moderator on here, there was no need to just lash out at Shout Factory about that Marty, nor go on remising the moderator based on a few commentaries. You have a right to feel the way you do, and as stated earlier, I agree upon that right, but why not approach Cliff in private and respect the fact that he has a moderator doing commentaries so that the films can have them at all. There's no need for that kind of aggressive behavior.

    That said, might we fans make suggestions to Cliff, and pat him on the back for the jobs well done that he has provided us with?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite Sword Sorcery films?
    By Scott Ruhl in forum Horror And Sci-Fi
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
  2. The Warrior And The Sorceress/Barbarian Queen (Double Feature)
    By Gordon B in forum Drive-in/Exploitation/Trash/Mexi-Horror
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
  3. anyone here dig Kory Clarke & Warrior Soul?
    By Jeffrey R in forum TV , Music and Other Media
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
  4. New Peplum (Sword&Sandal) titles
    By Jari K in forum Euro Cult and Arthouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
  5. The Savage Sword Of Conan The Barbarian/robert E. Howard
    By Zane C. in forum Feedback and Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

indian version of dapoxetine | best generic levitra prices | sample of levitra online | discounts on viagra | http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24458&page=5