Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Blu-Ray You Watched Part 2

Re: The Last Blu-Ray You Watched Part 2

Scarlet Street - review is up - http://www.avmaniacs.com/blog/ -
    What a great film and the Blu is very satisfying. They seem to have made the choice
    to preserve the best print they could find just as is without any tinkering at all.

Interesting question. Should you take that hands-off preservation attitude or use
    the tools at hand now to correct and adjust the material to look the best you can
    make it?

I've found the former with several Black and Whites lately and mostly the later with the more
    complex color films. What do you think?
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    What a great film and the Blu is very satisfying. They seem to have made the choice
    to preserve the best print they could find just as is without any tinkering at all.

Interesting question. Should you take that hands-off preservation attitude or use
    the tools at hand now to correct and adjust the material to look the best you can
    make it?

I've found the former with several Black and Whites lately and mostly the later with the more
    I also loved this one.

http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2012/0...eet-review.php
    Twitch - We Know Stuff

This is (wasn't) a test! Stefan A.'s Avatar

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. The movie still holds up.

Last night in honor of St Paddies Day I watched my BD of Kubrick's masterpiece BARRY LYNDON.

Damn!..what a great looking film!
    Although I'm not sure if the BD is much of an improvement over the DVD (I didn't compare)
    But the films grain changed with the different lenses used on the BD.

What a great film!

This is (wasn't) a test! Stefan A.'s Avatar

Circle of Iron (aka The Silent Flute). Crazy, cheezy fun! I wonder if anyone involved w/ the movie saw El Topo.

Night of the Living Dead - actually watched both the Optimum and Network discs today (picked them up a month or so ago, but hadn't had the time to look at them til now). My comparison article: http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/03/21/...e-living-dead/

For anyone who likes Frank Carpa and thirties flicks,
    the new blu-ay of Lady for a Day (1933) is a marvelous
    re-done transfer. So cool to see some of the older black and white films
    get the first class treatment.

We've see a few come out lately.I hear people say what good can
    a blu-ray do from black and white. The Hustler looks incredible!
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre is stunning. Step right up and change your mind.
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

Demetrius and the Gladiators: http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/03/27/...he-gladiators/

Probably the worst of Twilight Time's offerings thus far in terms of video quality, but for a film that's never really looked good on video before it'll do. I'm happy to have it, if only for the lossless 4-track audio and isolated soundtrack.

Not to monopolize, but my copy of Flicker Alley's A TRIP TO THE MOON arrived this afternoon. It has its issues (that Air soundtrack is terrible!) but I still liked it. A lot.

Review: http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/03/29/...moon-in-color/

Raving and Drooling Wayne Schmidt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

make it?

These days there are so many tools available (grain management, shading correction, dirt removal, flicker correction, on and on) that conscientious mastering facilities can be much more surgical about what to fix and what to leave alone. People are always bitching about "DNR", when that term has almost become meaningless. It's really just saying "This transfer sucks" . . . . DNR may or may not be the reason. I know there are many BDs out there that have gotten almost unanimous raves that have some processing applied. I mean, if it's transparent and removes a defect, why not? So I don't think it's so much one or other, take it or leave it type of situation. Probably several of the "as-is" transfers you're seeing are more a financial decision than anything else. This stuff can get very pricey.

EuroCultAV

Kino Lorber's Blu-ray of the Search for One Eye Jimmy, and I reviewed it as well!

http://eurocultav.com/Reviews/The_Se...e_jimmy__.html

Just got in Twilight Time's DESIREE and BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE. They're up to the usual standards for the label, with no DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS style disappointment this go around. My (abbreviated) thoughts, with screen grabs: http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/04/09/...ok-and-candle/

Another Earth - Micro budget indie drama with a rather superfluous sci fi element. If you like indie dramas please indulge. I found the ending to be rather haunting despite not being able to make any sense of it.
    Martha Marcy May Marlene - Elizabeth Olsen is superb as an ex cult member seeking shelter with her sister. Another fade to black ending but this one made sense.
    Potiche - Francois Ozon delivers plenty of kitsch with his ode to the 1970s and women's lib. Powerhouse cast.

Raving and Drooling Wayne Schmidt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Just got in Twilight Time's DESIREE and BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE. They're up to the usual standards for the label, with no DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS style disappointment this go around. My (abbreviated) thoughts, with screen grabs: http://wtf-film.com/site/2012/04/09/...ok-and-candle/
    I really want to pick up BB&C at some point. Those frame grabs look distractingly grainy, but I realize in motion it's probably fine. That title was a "problem child" when I was at Sony because of fading, so I think they created a new neg from the seps (which would make it grainier). But the color and detail look nice. I balk at going over thirty bucks for a blu, but I may have to for this one. It has a high repeatability factor . . . . I usually end up watching it once a year (around Christmas). Perfect fare for us heathens that want a holiday movie!

BATTLE ROYALE 2- What a stupid, stupid, stupid film. Possibly the worst sequel to a great film that I can ever remember seeing. Stupid. Looks nice in HD though. But it's stupid.

Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast