Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Seven Movies: New Euro Cult Label?

Re: One Seven Movies: New Euro Cult Label?

Oddly enough, the last title that MYA has given a street date to is The Fishmen And Their Queen , which is the sequel to Island of The Fishmen, and is set to be released on 11/23/2010.

This new company is releasing titles starting the following month, in December, which follows MYA's normal release schedule.

And, who the hell else is going to release an Edwige Fenech / Sergio Martino film from 1969?! Only MYA.
    Last edited by BrianS; 10-30-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Oddly enough, the last title that MYA has given a street date to is The Fishmen And Their Queen , which is the sequel to Island of The Fishmen, and is set to be released on 11/23/2010.

This new company is releasing titles starting the following month, in December, which follows MYA's normal release schedule.

And, who the hell else is going to release an Edwige Fenech / Sergio Martino film from 1969?! Only MYA.
    Their distributor list a January title Alligator.

They do seem MYA related as they are all Italian cult films.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyT View Post
    They do seem MYA related as they are all Italian cult films.
    And I've never seen any label with such a fascination with Edwige Fenech & Sergio Martino!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon V.
    Their distributor list a January title Alligator
    For NoShame stuff, I wish they'd re-release Door is Locked and I Have the Key, or whatever it's called.

And with 10kBullets advertising them is another give away. They're about the only ones that I'm aware of who actually reviews MYA DVDs (and not to pick on 10kBullets, but they hardly ever come right out and say "this picture quality sucks!" --they tend to be subtle in that area)

Yeah, fellas, I gotta say this so-called "new" company has MYA written all over it. I already mentioned One 7 Movies in the MYA thread, but the obvious MYA cover-up shows: the DVD cover designs have a similar style and the inclusion of two audio tracks (i.e., English and Italian dubs) with no English subtitles is pretty obvious. At least, to me it is.

I'm gonna' wait for reviews on these and if this "new" company offers up the same MYA-style crap picture quality, then I know that my money will be safe in my wallet!

Just got an early copy of Scandalous Gilda and the transfer is actually pretty solid. Anamorphic widescreen, film sourced, in nice shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Just got an early copy of Scandalous Gilda and the transfer is actually pretty solid. Anamorphic widescreen, film sourced, in nice shape.
    good news. I'm eager to get this one even more now.

Cool!

Sure it's going to be pretty good - The retail Italian dvd came out in 2006.

http://www.unilibro.it/find_buy/Sche...osa_gilda_.htm

On the plus side, it looks like the Italian release has been deleted for a long time.

Polymorphous Pervert

To be fair, SOME Mya releases looked alright too. You were just paying a lot of money and rolling the dice. Maybe One-Seven is Mya selling only their highest quality movies (at an even higher price). But all signs point to "don't count on it".

I just got Mya's "Forbidden Passion" for half price and without giving money directly to Mya and I STILL feel ripped off. Not only was the print terrible, but I also strongly suspect it was cut (but, hey, who wants to see Ornella Muti naked, anyway?).

I would just treat One Seven like Mya. If you want the movie, no more reputable company has released it, you can't rent it from Netflix, AND you can't find a cheaper gray-market bootleg of it, knock yourself out and buy it from Mya/One Seven. . .

So like Ian said, I too got an early copy of Scandalous Gilda and it looks VERY good. I suppose time shall tell how future releases that don't have releases already in other regions will look, but the letter included with the disc introducing the company (that confirms they're MYA affiliated, so if there were still any lingering doubts...) says that all films will be "beautifully transferred from original vault materials".

Polymorphous Pervert

So they'll be taking an old VHS tape with tracking problems containing a cropped, cut, scratched-up print of the film out of the "vault" and making a "beautiful" master of it?

Seriously, I hope One Seven is going to maintain high standards and release all the films Mya once promised, but I'm gonna wait until they release a few more quality titles before I take a chance with that company again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ellis View Post
    So they'll be taking an old VHS tape with tracking problems containing a cropped, cut, scratched-up print of the film out of the "vault" and making a "beautiful" master of it?

I'd definitely sit on the sidelines for a while until faith is just a bit restored. Seeing as they're still carrying over the issue of not including subs for Italian tracks if an English track is also included, it makes complete sense to worry they may be carrying over other pressing issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bauer View Post
    So like Ian said, I too got an early copy of Scandalous Gilda and it looks VERY good. I suppose time shall tell how future releases that don't have releases already in other regions will look, but the letter included with the disc introducing the company (that confirms they're MYA affiliated, so if there were still any lingering doubts...) says that all films will be "beautifully transferred from original vault materials".
    Can you tell us more about this letter / perhaps even post the full text? MYA has always been infamously silent and completely lacked a web presence, so it's interesting not only that this letter exists, but that it apparently explicitly ties the new company to MYA...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast