Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock Festival 3-Disc Trailer Compilation

Shock Festival 3-Disc Trailer Compilation

I haven't read the book by Stephen Romano, but this dvd sounds pretty cool:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40993...hock-festival/

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/s/shock-festival/

Trailer and other info:
    http://www.alternativecinema.com/ind...=ShockFestival
    Last edited by VinceP; 12-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.

I live on Planet Miller, but you're all invited.

Re: Shock Festival 3-Disc Trailer Compilation

I forgot all about this! Yep, count me in.

I'm sold!!!
    If I wanted to hear an asshole, I'd fart.

I just got a copy, and it looks pretty sweet!
    I have a Switchblade Sisters tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken McIntyre View Post
    I just got a copy, and it looks pretty sweet!
    Where from?

From Alternative Cinema. I'm reviewing it for my site.
    I have a Switchblade Sisters tattoo.

Brilliant! I must have!

looks like it includes over 300 radio spots as well. Looks like a winner.
    Littlewhorerecords.com
    Give me Fulci, Bava, and Argento over Antonioni, Fellini, Rossellini.

Where can I find an actual list of the trailers? The Alternative Cinema website doesn't actually bother to list more than about five of them.

This one has been pre-ordered from DiabolikDVD!

Looks like a must-have collection of trailers!

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Where can I find an actual list of the trailers? The Alternative Cinema website doesn't actually bother to list more than about five of them.
    I've just compiled a list of the trailers for genuine films included in this set. Note, this list does not include the 36 TV spots, 290 radio spots and 15 bogus new "trailers" that also make up the set (along with commentaries, Sam Sherman interview, booklet, poster etc).

The list:

Treasure of the 4 crowns / Vice Squad / Cornbread Earl & Me / Black Samurai / Grimm's Fairytales / Dynamite Brothers / Flesh Gordon / Conquest / Delirium / Amazon Jail / Beyond Atlantis / Sadomania / Challenge to be free / Venom / Raw Force / Gone with the pope / Black heat / The House Of Terror / Mondo Cane 1&2 double-bill / Starstruck / Last Days of Man on Earth / Avalanche Express / Cinderella 2000 / Titillation / Flesh and Lace / Mysterious Island / Circle of iron / Smithereens / Fantastic planet / The Loveless /
    Sexy Dozen / 2069 a Sex Odyssey / Raiders of Letye Gulf / Scum of the earth / Venus in furs / Female animal / 7 Dwarves to the rescue / Fighting rats of tobruk / Fight for your life
    fast company / Grand Slam / Space Raiders / Final Countdown / Captain America / Cannonball / Killer Force / King Kong Vs Godzilla / Africa Blood & Guts / Mad Doctor of Blood Island / Brides of Blood / Satan's Sadists / Angel's Wild Women / Horror of the Blood Monsters / Girls for rent / Naughty Stewardesses / Brain of blood / Blazing stewardesses / Blood Drinkers / The Stuff / Pieces / Snuff / Beyond The Gate / Pranks / Burnt offerings / Dead & Buried / Bloodspattered Bride / I Dismember Mama / House by the Cemetery / Great White / Cat o'nine Tails / Saturn 3 / God Told Me To / Crazies / Toolbox Murders / Q / Grizzly / Don't Look In The Basement / Hell Night / Satan's Black Wedding / Black Belly of the Tarantula / Invasion of the Bee Girls / Maniac / Banana Monster / Dead of night / Carnival of blood / Curse of the Headless Horseman / Mark of the Devil / Bloodsucking Freaks / Deep red / The Comeback / The Curse / Autopsy / Daughters of Darkness / Shock Waves / The Illustrated Man / Fifth Cord / Seven Doors of Death / Blood of Ghastly Horror / Bottoms Up / Five Bloody Graves / Fire and Ice

Hope this helps

Thank you Stuart, for doing the work that even Alternate.Cinema wasn't able or willing to do. That's the info I needed!

Wow, 35 of those are trailers for Blue Underground releases. This set is about as lame as the book.
    Last edited by Shane K; 01-06-2010 at 12:19 PM.

I think the reason the trailers featured on this aren't listed anywhere is that they're "borrowed" from other DVD's. At least that's what it looks like to me. As Shane points out a good portion come from Blue Underground, as well as (I'm guessing) Image and Anchor Bay releases, among others. They're all "letterboxed" at the same ratio with little bits of scratchy leaders butted in between each trailer in an effort to make them seem to be more authentic and gritty. And nobody get their hopes up for there being an official, original GONE WITH THE POPE trailer as it's the Grindhouse-created one.

I only listened to a very small piece of the commentaries and it seems Romano's has little if anything to do with the trailers on display and is more just him telling stories that frankly make him come off as an asshole know-it-all. For example, he talks about being at the premier of PULP FICTION and walking up to John Sayles to tell him that he loved BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS and rolling his eyes when Sayles pointed out that James Cameron worked on the film...because Romano HATES when people try to impress him by mentioning that. I mean, DUH! Come on, Sayles! This is Stephen fucking Romano you're talking to, not some hick kid fresh off the bus. So Sayles scrambles to come up with a better anecdote and decides to tell him about when he was writing ALLIGATOR and THE HOWLING simultaneously and ran out of paper. He just happened to have Cameron's copy of the PIRANHA II script laying around so he typed on the back of that. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? Romano ends that wondrous tale by saying "...and that is why I tell my mom I have to work in this business." What an incredible yarn!

The second commentary is by someone named Uncle Creepy who throws out gems such as "I LOVE these kinds of movies!" and claims that all of the post-apocolyptic sci-fi/action flicks the Italians churned out in the 80's were done to cash in on Walter Hill's THE WARRIORS. You sure about that, Uncle Creepy?

The less said about the tribute trailers the better.
    Last edited by Matt A; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.

The commentary is self-serving (the guy did name the DVD after himself so no surprise there) and generally does not refer to the trailers on view ( there are a few exceptions- the glorifying praise of Fulci's "Conquest" is a complete mystery to me). I wound up returning mine because the 2nd disc froze up in my players. No great loss as most of the trailers can be found elsewhere. There are some gems on disc one for hardcore collectors.
    Last edited by R. Hilton; 02-22-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast