Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Thread: Low Blow with Leo Fong

Low Blow with Leo Fong

Was watching WILD RIDERS last night with a lady friend and the DVD had a trailer for LOW BLOW with Leo Fong on it. I had read about this in the book GODS IN SPANDEX but even that did not prepare me for the shear awesomeness on display in this trailer. Now I NEED to see this movie!!! Has anyone else seen it? Or any other of Fong's movie's? Are they as cheesetastic fun as they look?

Re: Low Blow with Leo Fong

I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of him.

Leo Fong is a real Kung-Fu guy who wound up in some trashy action movies in the 70s and 80s. A lot of guys in the arts tried to get into the pictures and it just was not in the cards for most.

He is the real deal as far as Kung Fu goes, but the movies that I've seen have been pretty horrid. I try watching cuz he is in them but haven't made it through any of them so far. All I've look at have had that washed out film look with poorly recorded echoey audio.
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

Make no mistake LOW BLOW looked exactly how you just described it. But it looked really entertaining in that awful drive-in movie cheese fest way. I know the highest budget the guy worked with was still under One Hundred grand and usually was closer to fifty grand (and he always shot on 35mm too!) so it doesn't surprise me they look and sound like shit. But that makes me want to see them more and love the guy even more. His chapters in GODS IN SPANDEX are very entertaining as he explains all the thrifty (and sometimes crazy) shenanigans he had to do to get the money to make his movies.

Must find LOW BLOW!!!

On a side note I'm pretty sure he did the camera work on the video extras for CODE RED's BOARDING HOUSE disc. I know they were working with him on one of his movies, and the credit on those extras is Leo Fong, and how many Leo Fong's can there be in the business? But god the camera work on those extras is seriously the worst I've ever seen on a legit release!!!

Go, Leo, go!

Let me know what you think.
    "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup."

Low Blow ain't got nothing on Leo Fong's true masterpice Killpoint! How he managed to get Richard Roundtree to appear in that is one the greatest mysteries of mankind.

Btw they are both in BCI's Maximum Action collection. Dunno if it's still available though. I think they were released by Crown International in theaters.

thank you Gunner! i just found that on ebay (for $5 no less!) and bought it. My Girl is equally excited to see the flicks of Leo Fong so this really hits the spot!

There's a cool sequence in LB where a FBB clobbers the hell out of a couple guys. Wonder if Fong had just screened 85's PUMPING IRON THE WOMEN? FBB actress Elaine Hightower never made another film acc/to imdb, though LB's official release date is the same as the debut of a slightly-better known FBB actress, Teagan Clive in John Candy's ARMED AND DANGEROUS.

If you enjoyed LOW BLOW, definitely seek out the sequel BLOOD STREET. Fong plays the same character in that one. I am a die-hard follower of Fongsploitation ( Marty McKee) and just got his flick SHOWDOWN (not to be confused with the Billy Blanks flick) and his recent TRANSFORMED.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Jonsson View Post
    Low Blow ain't got nothing on Leo Fong's true masterpice Killpoint! How he managed to get Richard Roundtree to appear in that is one the greatest mysteries of mankind.

Btw they are both in BCI's Maximum Action collection. Dunno if it's still available though. I think they were released by Crown International in theaters.
    I haven't seen Low Blow, but Killpoint is classic. Nothing beats seeing Cameron Mitchell going batshit insane in scene after scene.

I just found out there is a THIRD film in the Joe Wong series (Low Blow, Blood street) in production!! Called 'Hard Way Heroes'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503119/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Also IMDB states he was in two films in 1988, Rapid Fire and Jungle Heroes. I don't think these two films exist as I have found no proof of them

I also have the film '24 hours to midnight' which Leo directed and has Cynthia Rothrock in it. Pretty inept but worth checking out, although the imdb says 1985, I think the back of the tape says 1992 and it looks like that's the correct year of filming
    Last edited by Jason J; 03-19-2017 at 10:28 PM.