Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Definitive Russ Meyer thread (eventual nudity...hopefully)

Re: The Definitive Russ Meyer thread (eventual nudity...hopefully)

So having had the original R2 boxset for a couple of years and still not having watched most of them, I'm having a Russ Meyer marathon - all 22 of his films (including bootlegs of Europe In The Raw, Fanny Hill and The Seven Minutes) over two weeks, in chronological order! Got up to Mudhoney before I had to have a break yesterday, but am having a fucking ball!

Could someone suggest a good place to get THE SEVEN MINUTES? I have a VHS TV broadcast that isn't cutting it.
    LVR: Bring da noise!

Never had the pleasure(?) of seeing SEVEN MINUTES, but Fox Movie Channel broadcasts seem to be the best option.

Anybody, near L.A. can attend a cool retrospective of Meyer's films at the famed New Beverly Cinema this week. Films to shown:

november 9, 10
    Motor Psycho Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

november 11, 12 Vixen! Supervixens

november 13, 14 Wild Gals of the Naked West Mudhoney

http://www.newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

Been reading through this thread. Being a longtime Meyer fan, it's nice to see such enthusiasm for his films. I enjoy all of his films including the lesser ones (with the exception of FANNY HILL, which is next to impossible to sit through). My personal faves are VIXEN, BVD, FASTER PUSSYCAT and CHERRY, HARRY AND RAQUEL. I also think that FINDERS KEEPERS, LOVER WEEPERS is highly underrated. I like that one a lot and it actually reminds me of some of Tarantino's stuff for some reason. I'm glad to own all of the Arrow discs but wish they were in better quality. Hate to admit that my VHS tapes actually look slightly better than the DVDs. It would be really great if all of his movies were remastered and released on Blu-Ray with nice extras. Despite being low-budget, RM's films showcase excellent photography and I can only imagine how great they would look with new HD transfers. Hopefully that will happen in the near future if his catalog can be licensed to another company (even if just for a brief time like they were for the Image laserdiscs back in the late 90's).

Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but RM Films recently put out a new DVD collection called "Vintage Bodies" which includes EROTICA and HEAVENLY BODIES as well as two rare shorts. Has anyone had the chance to check it out yet and see how it is? If I can just get my hands on that and EUROPE IN THE RAW then my Russ Meyer collection will be complete unless more footage from some of the various projects he was working on since the early 80's should happen to surface (although I highly doubt we'll ever see anything from the Melissa Mounds film).

Quote Originally Posted by C Tanner View Post
    Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but RM Films recently put out a new DVD collection called "Vintage Bodies" which includes EROTICA and HEAVENLY BODIES as well as two rare shorts. Has anyone had the chance to check it out yet and see how it is? If I can just get my hands on that and EUROPE IN THE RAW then my Russ Meyer collection will be complete unless more footage from some of the various projects he was working on since the early 80's should happen to surface (although I highly doubt we'll ever see anything from the Melissa Mounds film).
    Woah, thanks for the heads up! May have to get this despite the hefty price tag and not wanting to fill the coffers of the shysters currently occupying space at RM Films...

The Seven Minutes is currently available to license to UK DVD labels via Hollywood Classics - no-one stepping up yet though! http://hollywoodclassics.com/Movie/Seven_Minutes_the

I keep hoping that ol' Russ' classics would make it to BR ( imagine seeing those huge tits & colorful costumes on HD ) but with those fucks who own RM Films refusing to move their fat ass or giving any other company the original negatives, i'm afraid thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by C Tanner View Post
    Yes, thanks for the tip. I could never bring myself to pull the trigger on EUROPE IN THE RAW because of the price-to-boredom ratio, but I have wanted to see HEAVENLY BODIES for ages so I purchased that new set just now. Not expecting much, but...
    LVR: Bring da noise!

Gooble gobble! One of us! Derek Steckler's Avatar

Anthology Film Archives in New York will be showing 8 Russ Meyer films in 35mm this August.
    http://anthologyfilmarchives.org/fil...s/series/41185

Been on a nice RM kick lately. Up till this year I had seen everything after Vixen but nothing before. For any who might be hesitant to see his Gothic/Roughie phase don't be! I was really shocked at how great Lorna was, Mudhoney was pretty much equally great but I didn't care much for Motorpsycho. Finally seeing Faster Pussycat after all these years was well worth it too. The only contender to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' throne as RM's greatest, imo. For anyone who doubts RM's overall talents as a filmmaker just show them the 1964-1966 batch if they find the even loonier 1970-and on bunch. Honorary mention to his epic last three (they don't get grouped under a moniker that I've seen), their overall craziness is fantastic. Avoid Pandora Peaks, it's just sad.
    "I just want to sleep."
    -Christian Bale, 'The Machinist' (2004)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718