Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Filipino action stuff

Rare Filipino action stuff

I recently bought three Filipino action flicks which seem to be very rare (I got the German ex-rental tapes quite cheaply). They are not mentioned in the IMDB and I can hardly find information on them on the net. Perhaps some of you have seen them and can provide some information, i. e. English release title, alternative title(s), release date, and the likes!?

HEROES FOR HIRE

This one's directed by John Lloyd (who also made DOUBLE EDGE and NINJA WARRIORS) and stars Bruce Baron and Mike Monty. There's actually a Ninja amidst the mayhem too and the flick is very entertaining and action-packed to the hilt. If Filipino action is your cup of tea you can't go wrong with HEROES FOR HIRE

MAD DOG

Downbeat crime drama, spiced up with some action and some gratuituous sex. Starring Romano Kristoff, Burce Baron and Gwendolyn Hung. The director is a certain John Gale (Jun Gallardo?), and assistant director is Teddy Page (FIREBACK and NINJA'S FORCE). I enjoyed it pretty much and a few plot elements remember me on Corbucci's excellent IL GRANDE SILENCIO.

SABOTAGE

The German title is GEHEIMCODE DEATH-FORCE, but it is also known as SABOTAGE (in France me thinks). I haven't watched it yet, but the cover artwork promises something like a cheap James Bond rip-off. The director is Efren C. Pinon, the guy who gave us the crazy, delirious THE KILLING OF SATAN. Tony Ferrer stars.

Re: Rare Filipino action stuff

MAD DOG was indeed directed by Jun Gallardo using his "John Gale" pseudonym. I recently watched his RESCUE TEAM (aka: RESCUE FORCE; INTRUSION CAMBODIA - 1981) with Richard Harrison and Romano Kristoff. Wild stuff! The Filippinos and Indonesians always cranked out the craziest action stuff. I'm still trying to get over director Arizal's FINAL SCORE (1986), with Chris Mitchum and Mike Abbott. It's one of the wildest, insane action flicks I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Adelman
    The Filippinos and Indonesians always cranked out the craziest action stuff.
    I can agree with that 100 %. THE STABILIZER and THE INTRUDER, two actionfests from Indonesia, are among my absolute favourites. Thanks for mentioning RESCUE TEAM and FINAL SCORE... I will definitely keep my eyes open for them.

doing it to death Randy Thomas G's Avatar

My girlfriend is Filipino-Canadian so I'm always on the look out for stuff from there. Where can you pick these action films up? Are they grey market only?

MAD DOG sounds interesting. I have a greek tape of that but I was kind of scared to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Adelman
    I'm still trying to get over director Arizal's FINAL SCORE (1986), with Chris Mitchum and Mike Abbott. It's one of the wildest, insane action flicks I've ever seen.

Straight up!

Quote Originally Posted by R.T. Gelling
    My girlfriend is Filipino-Canadian so I'm always on the look out for stuff from there. Where can you pick these action films up? Are they grey market only?
    As I've already mentioned in the beginning, I got the original German ex-rental tapes of these flicks. I have no idea if these movies were released in an English language version also...

Quote Originally Posted by Guenter M.
    As I've already mentioned in the beginning, I got the original German ex-rental tapes of these flicks. I have no idea if these movies were released in an English language version also...

Trash-Online is a good source for Indo/ Filipino action movies
    Last edited by Alex D; 05-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.

I would also recommend two crazy action films from director Rey Malonzo (who also uses the names Raymond Malonzo and Reginald King): SEARCH FOR VENGEANCE (1984) and CLASSIFIED OPERATION (1985). Both films contain wild action and many scratch-your-head moments, including child abuse, some stunt shooting that has to be seen to be believed and lots and lots of hilarious dialogue.

Reviews for both can be found on my web site.

Good, Bad, & The Groucho J Dewey Wallis's Avatar

Filipino action rules!

Though its is a standard generic 80's action cover, I swear I've seen that Heros For Hire cover before. Cannot say for sure if thats coming from cult-web/catalof memory or if I actually saw it on the shelves back in the day.

Interesting to see the CAnnon logo on the back of Mad Dog (great cover!)

doing it to death Randy Thomas G's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D
    Trash-Online is a good source for Indo/ Filipino action movies
    Thanks Alex!

And another one...

BLACKFIRE aka BLACK FIRE, directed in 1985 by Teddy Page. Story by Jim Gaines. Screenplay by Jim Gaines & Teddy Page. Starring: Romano Kristoff and... surprise, surprise!... Jim Gaines.

Not a bad flick at all. It kicks off in Vietnam, with lots of action, killings, explosions and the likes. Then it slows down and it becomes rather dire and uneventful... until the finale, which is damn great. Romano Kristoff does the 'Rambo' (you know what happens if a Vietnam war veteran is pushed too far, don't you?), and he has a cool arsenal of weapons. I wish the middle part wouldn't have dragged the way it does, but otherwise it's cool, violent, mindless fun. Nice stuntwork too. Great dialogue in those flashback sequences, when little Ron was trained to be a ninja. "You have to be like an arrow, desiring to bounce off the chord."

I will pitch in $25 towards anyone getting a tattoo of the dude on the cover of Mad Dog.

Damn, I have like 200 of these films in my closet that are begging to be viewed.... I recently bought HEROES FOR HIRE on Greek VHS and it is English-speaking. I love Romano Kristoff's movies athough his BLACKFIRE was unwatchable. I think his finest moment was DOUBLE EDGE, a COBRA rip-off in which he is a ninja cop. Wish I knew what he is doing these days.

Page 1 of 105 1231151101 ... LastLast