Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Endings

Re: Depressing Endings

EAST OF EDEN

Not really the ending technically, but the scene near the end where James Dean attempts to give his father his birthday present... I just couldn't take it.

Easy Rider - I was actually really pissed off at those hicks in the truck.
    "Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?" "Because you're a faggot!"

i love the hicks in that truck..they are my heros

Mikkwlawn Peterson Frank Cantone's Avatar

This is a really awesome subject, so I just have to mention a few movies in which the ending depressed me:

First one off the top of my head, Silent Running. Really sad ending, despite the affirmation that life will go on. I first saw it on tv alone, when I was maybe 12, and I felt really emotional about the ending, but couldn't really tell anyone so (this sounds weird) I went into another room grabbed my jacket and tore one of the pockets. I guess I had to get the energy out somehow.

Beneath The Planet of the Apes. The real, one and only Armageddon. My god, how can you watch the ending and not get depressed, especially when you are only like 9 years old!

I would add On Her Majesty's Secret Service, although I had read James Bond in the Cinema before seeing the movie, so I expected the downbeat and tragic ending. Oddly enough, the final scene feels more tragic with each new viewing. Once I saw it on tv with my dad, and when it was over, he commented that they shouldn't have ended the picture that way, which I guess is exactly why Peter Hunt kept the book's ending. When a Bond film generates such emotions and comments, how can it not be considered a classic!

This next one has a SPOILER, so don't read it if you haven't seen THEM!

When James Whitmore's character is killed near the end of the movie saving the two boys. That rocked my world when I first saw it. My god, they killed the star of the movie! I think that was the first movie I saw that ended with the hero getting killed, and I guess I learned that no one is safe in the world, even the star is fair game and can be killed off.
    Please check out my reviews of DVD movies on Expotv.com

Unhappy Re: Depressing Endings

Another title that just came to mind:

B MUST DIE--I caught this on TV many years ago because it starred Darren McGavin. A real downer of a movie, McGavin played a down on his luck American in a foreign country, possibly in Central American, who gets conned into participating in a political conspiracy. The ending was inevitable but really depressing. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has heard of this flick, though I'm not anxious to see it again

I've never seen that but, being a huge McGavin fan, I'd love to. Is it out on video?

One ending that comes to mind is Witchfinder General - it's hard to top that one in terms of sheer nihilism.
    "One cannot 100% trust a screenshot that someone else made."

Quote Originally Posted by John Gargo
    EAST OF EDEN

Not really the ending technically, but the scene near the end where James Dean attempts to give his father his birthday present... I just couldn't take it.
    This is my favorite of Dean's movies. The interplay between him and the great Raymond Massey, as his stern father, is wonderful. I recall reading that Dean would wind Massey up before doing takes. Massey was rather religious, I think, and Dean would make these outrageous comments to get under the older actor's skin - it really added to their awkward interplay.

A BETTER PLACE

Vincent

I still have to see A Better Place. To quote De Niro, though, "I've heard tings..."

Unhappy Re: Depressing Endings

According to IMDB, B MUST DIE is, alas, not currently available on video. There is only one comment listed, from someone who remembers more of the movie than I do.

Also, I'd like to add QUATERMASS AND THE PIT, felt a bit sad at the end of that one too.

Viva Maurizio Merli! Jonny Redman's Avatar

Ring of Bright Water (1969) Dir Jack Couffer.

Starring Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna

SPOLIERS!!

I've never got over seeing the otter (Midge) being killed at the end of that film. As a small child I was devastated. Frankly I was fucking gutted, I think the experience of seeing an otter killed in a film at such a young age, especially as I'd grown to love this otter during the course of the film, has made me more sympathetic to the modern day otter's plight. To this day I'm a big fan of the otter. I'll not hear a bad word said about the species.
    Last edited by Jonny Redman; 05-30-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Maybe a few more

Brazil - though I am not sure if it depressing or happy sometimes
    Save the Green Planet
    The Empire Strikes back

Also for some reason Rats Nights of Terror always brings tears to my eyes at the end, but for the wrong reasons.

Viva Maurizio Merli! Jonny Redman's Avatar

Jacob's Ladder.

I don't find the JACOB'S LADDER ending to be depressing. Yeah, Jacob is dead, but he's reunited with his son in Heaven. It's a happy ending.

Vincent

Registered User Chris Vaillancourt's Avatar

MOUCHETTE - I remember a Film Comment article on the Bresson retrospective a few years back which wondered how anyone could see the ending of MOUCHETTE as positive or 'transcendent' in the least. I agree - even if you view Mouchette's final action as a gesture of defiance, it's still a mournful finish. Nadine Nortier, Queen of the One-Shot Actresses!

LANCELOT DU LAC is just as bleak, but the final shot is so perfect, as is Bresson's canny decision to abruptly cut to black-no credits or end title-that the effect is more akin to awe than despair.

VIVRE SA VIE's end is so abrupt and grim that it's almost funny... 'almost' being the key word.

The great depressing ending of the last 20 years belongs to Edward Yang's A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY, one of the few endings which deserves to be called Tragic in the classic sense, and an example of how that term has been diluted and degraded by its application to lesser works.

One beloved downer ending that has never impressed me is THE GREAT SILENCE. I've never bought Corbucci's stated 'revolutionary' reasons for it (yeah, like the spaghetti western audience was going to take to the streets and revolt in protest of Silence's demise) and am annoyed at how Corbucci has to throw plausibility to the wind just to get his bummer conclusion.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast