Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro-Cult War Movies on DVD

Euro-Cult War Movies on DVD

In the Euro-Cult War movies I've managed to pick up...

Inglorious Bastards
    16:9 R2 NTSC
    Dex Entertainment

Commando Leopard
    16:9 R0 PAL
    Ascot-Elite

Der Commander
    Ascot-Elite

Codename: Wildgeese
    Ascot-Elite

Who Dares Wins
    4:3 R0 PAL
    Ascot-Elite

Five For Hell
    Letterboxed R2 NTSC
    King Records

Commandos (no Eng options)
    Letterboxed R2 NTSC
    King Records

Corabari
    16:9 R2 NTSC
    King Records

That said, what other Euro-Cult War flicks are worth picking up on DVD? Anyone waiting for certain ones to show up on disc?

Re: Euro-Cult War Movies on DVD

Commandoes has also had a fairly decent budget release in the US as has The Battle of El Alamein. I've only seen the latter which IMHO was a pretty good war flick from the Italians point of view.

Cheers

Martin

Codename: Wildgeese
    Ascot-Elite
    I guess you already know this release is cut by almost 20 minutes right ? Only the swiss FSK 18 DVD from Impulse Home entertainment is the original 97 min cut.

Cut Version (84 min.)

Uncut version (97 min.)

Last edited by Benjamin C; 03-25-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Augh! No, I didn't, dammit. Thanks for the heads up so no other maniacs make the same mistake. Looks like I'll have to seek this one out.

One other release I forgot to mention, as well is...

The Last Hunter
    Improper Letterboxed Format R2 PAL
    Vipco

The X-Rated Kult DVD release of "The Last Hunter" has 20 seconds of additional footage, but no English options.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin C
    Only the swiss FSK 18 DVD from Impulse Home entertainment is the original 97 min cut.

Ben, Amazon.de lists this as having no English options. Can you verify that it doesn't have English dubbing or subtitling?

Yup that´s correct Kennth, the uncut version by Impuls Home Entertainment only contains the german dub without any english options. This is of course pretty f*cked up if you don´t understand german like most people.

But i guess you could always make some hybrid cut of the Elite and Impuls DVD, and throw the english dub on the uncut version, but of course then you will still end up with almost 20 min of material in german...

I also almost made the mistake of buying the Elite DVD but at the last minute found out that it was cut. I´m pretty happy now with my Impuls DVD although i´d prefer the english dub over the german, but alas you can´t have everything in live i guess... I´m happy enough that i can even understand german, so the german dub will have to do for now.

Now i would kill for a copy of "Inglorious Bastards" but too bad i ain´t that rich.

So sweet... so perverse Johan Melle's Avatar

There are actually several budget releases of COMMANDOS out there and most of the are bad fullscreen versions not worth investing in. The one to get is the dvd from St. Clair Vision, which is correctly letterboxed and very nice picture quality too. Not anamorphic but a very good release and unlike the Japanese dvd, it's both cheap and in English.

There's also a pretty decent-looking budget release of Sergio Martino's CASABLANCA EXPRESS out there. A lot of bad things have been said about this one but I at least enjoyed it. It's good fun and has a very impressive cast.

Umberto Lenzi's BRIDGE TO HELL is also out on cheap dvd in the UK. Fullscreen but doesn't seem to hurt the compositions any - maybe it's an open matte presentation? Anyway, the film is cheesy fun and very entertaining. The dvd is cheap enough to warrant a recommendation.

There's also a German dvd of Maurizio Pradeaux's CHURCHILL'S LEOPARDS. Very good picture quality and it includes an unadvertized English track. I didn't expect much from this because I hated Pradeaux's DEATH CARRIS A CANE but was surprised by how much better and well-made this film was in comparison. Killer cast too. Worth getting.

Finally, there's a Chinese dvd of BYE BYE VIETNAM out there too. Haven't seen it myself but it can get it cheaply here: http://i2.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1002492234/
    It would be nice if anyone who actually has seen this dvd could comment on the quality. I've been considering picking it up.

How about the DESERT COMMANDOS disc from Mill Creek, released in the US? Think it's paired with another movie, RANSOM MONEY?

I have that one on order, hope it's of decent quality

I have DESERT COMMANDOS in the Action Classics 50 Movie Pack. Could that be the same version you've ordered, Alex?

In any case, this version is fullscreen and as such missing a chunk of the image on the sides. But picture quality isn't too bad. It's got strong colors and generally nice-looking for what it is, which is a vhs-sourced transfer. But it's cheap so I'm not complaining. The film itself is excellent. It's in my Top 3 Italian WW2 movies list and is one of Lenzi's finest films. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Melle
    I have DESERT COMMANDOS in the Action Classics 50 Movie Pack. Could that be the same version you've ordered, Alex?

In any case, this version is fullscreen and as such missing a chunk of the image on the sides. But picture quality isn't too bad. It's got strong colors and generally nice-looking for what it is, which is a vhs-sourced transfer. But it's cheap so I'm not complaining. The film itself is excellent. It's in my Top 3 Italian WW2 movies list and is one of Lenzi's finest films. Highly recommended!

Could be. It's a shame that a distributor hasn't yet realised that there is a market out there for quality presentations of these films

I don't think I've seen any Lenzi war films. I'll have to seek that one out by the sounds of it. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Martin

The UK pre record of Desert Commandos on the Techno Fletcher label is in widescreen. I intend to transfer it to DVDR in the absence of a decent DVD release.

Hopefully, DESERT COMMANDOS is going to get a proper dvd release one day soon. I sure deserves one. I loved its unusual approach - following a group of German commandos on a mission to kill Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in Casablanca. It's also refreshing for casting German actor Horst Frank in an atypical role. Frank, who usually played slimy red herrings in several gialli, gets to play a genuinely sympathetic German here and handles his role really well. Love this film!

Btw, has anyone seen Lenzi's BATTLE OF THE COMMANDOS (1969) and WARTIME (1987)? Those are his only war films that I haven't seen yet...

Hopefully, DESERT COMMANDOS is going to get a proper dvd release one day soon. I sure deserves one. I loved its unusual approach - following a group of German commandos on a mission to kill Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin in Casablanca. It's also refreshing for casting German actor Horst Frank in an atypical role. Frank, who usually played slimy red herrings in several gialli, gets to play a genuinely sympathetic German here and handles his role really well. Love this film!
    I'm certainly gonna have to get my hands on it now.

Cheers

Martin

I guess Brentwood's 4 movie set "Battles of WWII" should be mentioned as well. It contains 3 Italian WWII movies: THE BATTLE OF EL ALAMEIN, FIVE FOR HELL and THE BATTLE OF THE LAST PANZER. The transfers for EL ALAMEIN and FIVE FOR HELL are both fullscreen and since there are better, widescreen dvds out there for both films, there's really no need to bother with these.

The set's sole selling point would be THE BATTLE OF THE LAST PANZER, which also happens to be the best-looking of the films in the set. Sure, it's fullscreen (doesn't really hurt the compositions too much, though) but the colors are pretty good and the overall picture quality is nice. Oh, by nice I mean "Brentwood-nice" as this is of course sourced from vhs. You pretty much know what you're getting into if you buy from Brentwood but this one is okay if you find it cheaply. As for the film itself, it's not among my favorites. There are other, much better Euro war films out there but it has its moments and fans of the genre will want to add it to their collection.

Also, HELL IN NORMANDY with Peter Lee Lawrence and Erika Blanc is available on the War Classics 50 movie set. It's another fullscreen transfer of course and the film suffers terribly from this format. It looks as if picture information is missing from all four sides and the colors aren't that hot either. I wouldn't really recommend it but then again it's cheap and I don't think there are any other English version readily available at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast