Please Support AVManiacs By Ordering Through Our Affiliate Links.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Seducers [Edwige Fenech, Rosalba Neri]

Re: The Seducers [Edwige Fenech, Rosalba Neri]

I just posted this in the DVD Reviews/Bootleg Reviews thread, but I'm posting it here, too, for Edwige and Rosalba fans:

THE SEDUCERS

After reading so much about THE SEDUCERS here on DVD Maniacs, and having become a fan of Edwige Fenech and seen Rosalba Neri in LADY FRANKENSTEIN, I couldn’t help myself and ended up getting a bootleg copy on eBay. I’d read that Luminous has the best version, but I ran a search there and nothing came up – only to later discover that nothing comes up when running a search on that site!

At first I thought that my version was enhanced for widescreen sets (another one of my bootlegs is), but it turns out that my set was on the zoom setting and that’s why the widescreen was filled. So, the presentation is 4:3, but nothing seems to be missing and it may have been filmed that way. The picture quality looked like an Nth generation tape copy, but it was still generally watchable except in those shots that show the subject(s) at a distance.

The story? A woman named Mudy has enlisted the help of Paula (Rosalba) (with her husband Aldo) plus a prostitute named Ulla (Edwige) to seduce her emotionally troubled son Tony and finally get him laid. Nothing they do works, but when the yacht they’re on runs aground by a Mediterranean island, Tony runs off and meets a beautiful shepherd girl named Beba (Eva Aulin) that he takes a liking to. Aldo sees this and brings the girl back to the yacht, but tragedy soon follows.

As for Edwige, well, what’s to say? She looks gorgeous in one of her earlier film ventures. Her big scene is, of course, the one with the goat (how much would you have paid to have been in that goat’s position?), but to be honest, Edwige is really just window dressing in this film. Make no mistake of it: this film belongs to Rosalba Neri! She delivers a performance that would make Lady Macbeth envious – though if her character, Paula, had been Lady Macbeth she probably would have gone and killed King Duncan herself.

The film begins with Rosalba throwing ignited sticks of dynamite into the sea, and her performance only escalates from there. Whether shooting at goats on the island, showing off her body to a voyeur, gleefully laughing while playing back an incriminating audio tape or trying to finagle an oil concession out of the wealthy Mudy, she is really something to see. Of course, she’s wearing a bikini most of time (if wearing anything at all, that is) and she always looks great.

Still, the movie can be a little hard to watch at times because most of these characters are not exactly likeable. It’s easy to believe Tony’s emotional problems given the kind of bitchy, domineering mother he has, and having the self-absorbed others on the yacht doesn’t help. One can feel some sympathy for him, though mostly for Beba, who is an innocent that comes to be victimized by her association with these jet setters.

So, I wouldn’t call THE SEDUCERS a great film, and though this transfer is barely watchable, I doubt that the Luminous version is enough of an improvement to warrant getting it. Still, I’d pony up in a minute to get a good commercial release, if only to see two beautiful cult icons, Rosalba and Edwige, not only individually but together. No Shame, Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, et al.............get to work!

Here, too, are some screen caps from the first half hour:

Last edited by DaveR; 12-05-2006 at 10:47 PM.

(continued)

If anybody wants to see more caps, let me know. I have more.

Viva Maurizio Merli! Jonny Redman's Avatar

Found out some interesting info the other day. This film has had, at least, three official VHS releases. Two in Germany and one in Spain. All I know about these releases is that the two German releases are identical but the Spanish release features a different cut of the film.

German VHS...

German VHS...

Spanish VHS...

I'd never heard of these before, infact I was under the assumption that this film had never had a home video release.

To give credit where it's due I found this info over at Pre-Cert.co.uk...

Giallo Boy's VHS thread

I managed to snag a DVD-R taken from the rare Spanish VHS release of 'Top Sensation' a while back. A/V is real good, only downside is that it seems that most of the nudity and the goat scene are missing plus it's in Spanish. Maybe I should try and do a composite edit...

Here's some screen grabs from the Spanish VHS...

I finally saw this (Thanks Mr.Ay)...It's a bona-fide shtick drek, I started falling asleep after the initial nudie bits, but you still get some brief and juicy bits of Euro-babe nudity. Rosalba Neri has the finest piece of ass ever to be revealed on a cinema screen, and because I love you all more than I love myself, I thought I'd share this with you (NOTE: The knickers ,watch carefully)

..they just don't make 'em like that these days do they?

The film works like a really Z-grade film noir. and I mean really Z-grade!

Not the blue-ball inducing masterwork I thought it would be, if Severin finally get their sleazy hands on this baby I'll buy it.
    Last edited by Aaron G; 03-06-2008 at 05:50 AM.
    Lith for nothing, or die fuh thomething!

Registered User John M. Bernhard's Avatar

shamelss thread bump

A guy posted some info about the German release of this film on my site a while back which is pretty interesting. Put up some scans of his lobby cards too...

In 1971 TOP SENSATION was released to German cinemas by FAVORIT-FILM as SKLAVIN IHRER TRIEBE. The both Video releases (I actually owned both of them) both featured the same cut of the old German cinema release - everythings there including the infamous goat-scene. Here are some lobbies of my archive...

The interesting thing about the German release is the fact, that they recut the movie and added some new scenes (with completely different actors) to further enhance the "crime-aspect" of the film. Here are two lobbies that actually feature two scenes of the added material:

The German VHS releases are ultra rare, I'd kill to get a copy of this version on DVD-R. Anyone have a copy?

The greatest movie ever does not need added scenes featuring a skinny, bearded guy in tighty whiteys. Just my opinion!

Gawd, I love this film!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Howlett View Post
    The greatest movie ever does not need added scenes featuring a skinny, bearded guy in tighty whiteys. Just my opinion!
    Certainly agree with you there Mike!

I'm keen to snag a copy of the German VHS release though because it seems like it's the best home video release that features all the nudity and has the best transfer. The Spanish VHS release has a decent transfer but has no nudity, or the goat scene, same goes for the Italian TV prints that are doing the rounds.

I live on Planet Miller, but you're all invited.

Let me know when you do, JR!

The film itself is decent, but the eye candy courtesy of Rosalba and Edwige make it something very special - thank goodness the director saw fit to capitolize on this! I sincerely hope a nice DVD release comes down the pipeline at some point - with all the naked Rosalba and Edwige action intact, of course.
    "One cannot 100% trust a screenshot that someone else made."

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Howarth View Post
    The film itself is decent, but the eye candy courtesy of Rosalba and Edwige make it something very special - thank goodness the director saw fit to capitolize on this! I sincerely hope a nice DVD release comes down the pipeline at some point - with all the naked Rosalba and Edwige action intact, of course.
    It's CAPITALIZE Mr. Book Writer!

Hopefully Severin find the 'last surviving original prints found in the vaults of an Italian drug-baron's brothel and film production studio'' or something like that!
    Lith for nothing, or die fuh thomething!

I've had an avi. of this film unwatched for over a year. High time I gave it a viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Bernhard View Post
    Not only are the women stunning here, but the story is so sleazy and depraved and utterly fantastic! Eva Thulin is also quite a babe, she seems to have only made a handful for films and left the business.
    I have seen two boots both sourced from the US Jerry Gross release and they were both pretty hideous looking color wise. Have not seen the Luminous one, is it really decent? The film does not seem to have had an official release anywhere that I could find.
    With luck someone will pick this up for DVD release sometime soon. It's one of the finest Italian sexploitation flicks ever.
    Curious about Eva Thulin possibly being any relation to the late, great Ingrid Thulin?

I always liked Rosalba best as the nymphomaniac in Di Leo's SLAUGHTER HOTEL (1971). YUM-YUUUUUUUMMMMM!

Scholar of Sleaze Paul A J Lewis's Avatar

The grabs at the top of the page are inspiring me to dig out my DVD-R of this film. Ms Neri has the most fabulous derriere, does she not?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast