PDA

View Full Version : 'Paranoia Agent'

James Erickke
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Well episode 3 was the highlight of the 1st disc. I love how the girl's 2 personalities would call and leave messages on her answering machine. This is a great series so far. It's gonna be a long wait till the next one in January!

Kristian R
11-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Its true. But I finally ordered Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers from the DDD sale so I will have those two to tide me over for a bit.

James Erickke
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
You won't be disappointed by either of those, although they are both departures from his usually dark material. I found Millenium Actress to be one of the more moving films I've seen recently. It's also a great tribute to Japanese film history.

James Erickke
11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
It's on the insert card of the dvd.

Vol. 2: 01/18/05
Vol. 3: 03/22/05
Vol. 4: 05/24/05

James Erickke
11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
If you dig Paranoia Agent, you should definitely check out Serial Experiments: Lain, that's a great series.

James Erickke
11-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Rightstuf.com (http://www.rightstuf.com/) for the selection. Deepdiscountdvd.com for the prices. Dvdempire.com is pretty good too.

Kristian R
11-22-2004, 01:40 PM
If you dig Paranoia Agent, you should definitely check out Serial Experiments: Lain, that's a great series.

Yes, Lain is also very good.

Kristian R
11-27-2004, 01:18 AM
I watched Millenium Actress today. Wow! It's one of the most beutifully animated movies I have ever seen. Next up... Tokyo Godfathers...

James Erickke
11-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Glad to hear that you liked it. I love that movie. Let us know what you think of Tokyo Godfathers.

James Erickke
01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Only 3 episodes on this disc! :( Story takes a pretty dark turn in episode 6 and episode seven has some surprises and leaves you hanging, which is probably the reason for only 3 episodes. There are so many twists and turns in the investigation, I gotta say I have no clue where this show is headed, which is a good thing!

Anybody think of recent events when it got to that part in the theme song, where it says, 'Don't worry about the tsunami'? Also, I just discovered, the cover sleeves are reversible.

Kristian R
01-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I didn't enjoy volume two as much as volume one, but it was still very good and did end up leaving you wanting more. I also have no real idea the way things are going to play out.
I didn't know about the reversible sleeves either. I must go check that out now.

James Erickke
03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
This volume puts the major characters on the backburner and explores the impact of the Shonen Bat attacks on society. The first episode, which I like the most of the three, was pretty disturbing in how it dealt with the suicide club's comical attempts at finding the right way to commit the act, since there has been a rash of these lately in Japan. I also liked how they showed the attacks affecting urban legends. From the previews, it looks like the next and final volume brings back the detectives.

Kristian R
03-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Mine is in the mail...

Kristian R
03-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed volume 3 and found it better than volume 2, which was a bit of a let down after a stellar volume 1. Of the three episodes offered on this disk I enjoyed the third best, with its steady spiral out of control. The little production explainers were fun and I especially enjoyed when the theme music popped up on the radio. A great series and I look forward to the finale soon.

Kristian R
05-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Volume 4 is out and I must say this was a nice finale to a great series. Now I need to go back and watch this volume again with the commentary on for some additional insight.

Highly recommended!

James Erickke
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Ugh. My BB hasn't got it in yet.

James Erickke
06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Watched the last disc last nite, and this series is definitely one that will have to be viewed more than once. I loved the ending with the old man becoming Maniwa. Altogether, this was a fascinating show that kept me guessing(and I still am!).

So what's your take? To me it seems that Shonen Bat was just a case of mass hysteria.

Kristian R
06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I saw Shonen Bat as mass hysteria taken form. He was created by the girl's imagination and the general population embraced him as there own and gave him strength and form.

But then again I could be totally wrong.

James Erickke
06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
I can't wait to see what Kon's got coming up next. I hope he does another series.

Kristian R
05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm hoping Sony releases Kon's Paprika in the US this year.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/paprika/index.html

Randy Thomas G
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
There was an article on Paprika in Film Comment by Tom Mes. Looks great. :cool:

James Erickke
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I read that article, I didn't know that Kon wrote the first entry in Otomo's Memories. Figures, as I think it's the best by far of that trilogy. Paprika looks incredible, I posted the trailer link here. (http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23684&highlight=satoshi)

Kristian R
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Missed that article and trailer link. Will investigate...

Sergio Olivari
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
guys, Paprika is the best kon to date imho, it amazes me how this guy manages to keep retelling -exception made of the touchingly beautiful 3 Godfathers-, the same story once and again, of course each story has its personal trademarks but here i am talking about memories, body doubles, time space merging, self-discovery mind trips, all of it wrapped up in movie history references, narrative wisdom and lightning wonders, very highly recommended

James Erickke
12-20-2009, 10:58 AM
live action?

Bloody Disgusting is reporting director Takashi Shimizu (The Grudge franchise, The Shock Labyrinth 3D) will be producing a feature film adaptation of Satoshi Kon's TV series Paranoia Agent.

Pete Bogh
12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I just started watching the series, am about 5 episodes in. Very weird, and very cool, I am completely sucked in. I think live action would be a disappointment after the imagery in the series so far.

Incidentally, I cannot get the theme song out of my head, and whereas I pictured myself skipping past the tune as I continued through the series, I end up stopping and listening to it in the opening and closing credits *every* time - obviously, Kon has driven me to the brink of insanity.

Randy Thomas G
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I saw the series a while ago and it is great. If more anime was this well made and intelligent I would be very happy.

Kristian R
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
live action?

I saw that. I think it would be very hard to pull off effectively, but I'll give it a rental.