PDA

View Full Version : Zatoichi Meets the One Armed Swordsman

Al Edwards
09-26-2003, 05:21 AM
I wonder when this Zatoichi film is released if it will include the alternate, HK ending of the film.

STEVEIGNORANT
09-27-2003, 12:17 AM
That would be great. Ani hasn't mentioned anything though. Was it just an alternate ending or a whole altered cut?

Al Edwards
09-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by STEVEIGNORANT
That would be great. Ani hasn't mentioned anything though. Was it just an alternate ending or a whole altered cut?

It was an alternate ending with a slightly extended scene, with the ending on the Chinese print having the One Armed Swordsman defeat Zatoichi, from what I read in the book, Hong Kong Action Cinema. Also, this is mentioned, though not directly, in the alternate version section of the film from imdb. Two endings were filmed, one for the Japanese market, and the other for the Chinese market.

STEVEIGNORANT
09-27-2003, 01:24 AM
I read that he is defeated at one of the Zato sites. I shot an email over to Ani asking if it will be included and if they have any tentative release dates for the remaining samurai cinema titles. The next 2 lone wolfs and next 2 zatos appear to almost be done.

STEVEIGNORANT
09-27-2003, 08:32 AM
I heard back from the CEO over at Animeigo and he says they tried to get the rights to the alternate ending but couldn't. He says they are working on 3 more films right now. I take it he meant the next 3 zatoichis.

Al Edwards
09-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by STEVEIGNORANT
I heard back from the CEO over at Animeigo and he says they tried to get the rights to the alternate ending but couldn't. He says they are working on 3 more films right now. I take it he meant the next 3 zatoichis.

Too bad, because it would have been interesting to see the two endings in comparison to each other.