PDA

View Full Version : New Godzilla's on SCI-FI

Joe L
08-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Anyone hear about GODZILLA VS MEGAGIRUS and ALL MONSTERS ATTACK on SCI-FI Channel? They're supposed to be shown August 31st. I'd like to know if these will be letterboxed and if they'll be dubbed or subtitled. I was under the impression that Toho no longer readies these for Amercia....

Ian Jane
08-25-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Sony bought the North American distrobution rights to them.

scott favareille
08-27-2003, 06:02 PM
What are they going to show, just the beginning & the end. What a bunch of crap! To hell with Sci-Fi Channel.

Nick Schwartz
08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
But on the good side, they are supposed to air letterboxed versions of Megalon and the original Mechagodzilla. Why they're cutting the hell out of the NEW film however proves they're complete idiots. :)

Denise*G
08-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Nick Zbu
But on the good side, they are supposed to air letterboxed versions of Megalon and the original Mechagodzilla.

WHEN IS THAT???

Terry Burke
08-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Sci Fi sucks! I canceled our cable service because of the way they cancel and edit their programs. We now rent DVDs from Netflix.com and the public library.

Nick Schwartz
08-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by trollech
WHEN IS THAT???

GODZILLA VS MEGALON (LBX) is airing 11pm the night of August 31st. Right after it GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA airs on September 1, 2003 at 1am. I'm assuming the latter is the older one as I doubt Sci-Fi would really air the newer one LBX at night. Check it HERE. (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=31-AUG-2003&feed_req=)

Ain't it cool? I got the tapes and VCRs ready. :)

Nick Schwartz
08-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Oh, yes, MECHAGODZILLA is the original 1974 one. REJOICE!

Bill Piper
08-28-2003, 04:00 AM
i managed to tape Mechagodzilla last time they showed it. it was great seeing that film in scope! i can't wait to see Megalon!

Denise*G
08-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Nick Zbu
GODZILLA VS MEGALON (LBX) is airing 11pm the night of August 31st. Right after it GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA airs on September 1, 2003 at 1am. I'm assuming the latter is the older one as I doubt Sci-Fi would really air the newer one LBX at night. Check it HERE. (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=31-AUG-2003&feed_req=)

Ain't it cool? I got the tapes and VCRs ready. :)

very cool! I only have FF versions, so I will be firing up the computer and DVD burner for those! I have about 58GB of space on my HD so I'm sure that'll be enough to capture two movies. (I think that's about 269.7 minutes of space) even if I have to dump one to an external drive to handle the encoding, i should be able to do it.
I'm happy :)

Richard Sweeney
08-28-2003, 01:04 PM
GXM and GMK are both listed in 2 hour time slots.

Nick Schwartz
08-30-2003, 02:48 AM
Time to break out the second VCR, I'm going to get the three new Mothra flicks on one tape....just to see how it goes. :)

Bill Piper
08-31-2003, 02:33 PM
bump; today is the day!!!!

Denise*G
08-31-2003, 03:03 PM
i'd rather watch paint dry than sit through these Mothra's. 3PM can not come fast enough!

Andrew Monroe
08-31-2003, 03:25 PM
You don`t like them,I take it?I`m taping them,and just glancing at the screen now and then,it looks pretty action packed.It does suck that they are ff and time edited.I`m taping all this stuff today on one vcr,and it requires some fast fingers and rabid clock watching to be sure.:)

Joe L
08-31-2003, 03:31 PM
i'd rather watch paint dry than sit through these Mothra's. 3PM can not come fast enough!

I'll drink to that. I like Mothra in general, but not these "new" Mothra films. I'm waiting for 3 pm too.

And man, does this dubbing suck -- I'm expecting that the new Godzilla's will be just as lame.

Denise*G
08-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Monroe
You don`t like them,I take it?

no, not at all. i really can't find any redeeming value whatsoever. well, maybe if you are a pre-teen, you could get into them... but there's just nothing good about them. (imho) Gamera was always a bit too too kiddy, but these are just way beyond anything Gamera was involved in. (even worse than the wretched "Uchu Kaiju Gamera")

Richard Sweeney
08-31-2003, 04:25 PM
GODZILLA VD MEGURURS IS NOT LETERBOXED!

Joe L
08-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by CharlieRogers
GODZILLA VD MEGURURS IS NOT LETERBOXED!

No. -- and it also has the annoying logos on the screen and commercial interruptions every 10 minutes (oops -- almost time to get up and PAUSE my tape again)....

I'll settle for this lousy tape copy for the time being, but once I get an official Columbia DVD release (or better yet, a Japanese DVD-R), this VHS copy is dust.

Richard Sweeney
08-31-2003, 05:00 PM
What a sucky way to see it the first time!!!

Denise*G
08-31-2003, 07:06 PM
well, the English dub sure didn't help MEGAGUIRUS from still stinking. MEGAGUIRUS is the worst one out of the 4 being shown today/tonight and I for one felt no need to record it.
GMK is another story. I think it's a great movie, only harmed by the FF & dub, but I'm still recording it just cuz :) but ultimately I'm more interested in the 2 other movies tonight! (even though most hate Megalon)

Richard Sweeney
08-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Funny I have the oppisite feeling. Megaguras is great GMKsuper sucks.

Denise*G
08-31-2003, 08:18 PM
well, after editing out all of the commercials from GMK, I was left with 88min. (87.46min to be exact) and that was without the credits.

Bill Piper
08-31-2003, 09:17 PM
GMK is originally, 105 mins or something close to that. wow, they did cut quite a bit! i was casually watching GMK and GxM. the pan & scan is highly annoying (i've gotten so used to seeing these in widescreen) and the dub was very, very bad. I'm glad i have the R3 dvds!! :D

Denise*G
08-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by rxfiend
I'm glad i have the R3 dvds!! :D

amen to that brotha! even though the R3 discs are the best, I still had to record GMK just to have a different version.
but, like i said before, I really need the next two movies, since I dont have them LBX w/English dub.

(btw, MEGAGUIRUS was cut just as bad)

Bill Piper
09-01-2003, 12:19 AM
now watching the letterbox, uncut version of Megalon on SCIFI and i'm in awe. Finally, a cleaned up print of the film (as opposed to the vhs EP prints and shoddy DVDs that have came before)!!

Kristian R
09-01-2003, 02:17 AM
I watched GxM and GMK tonight. Wasn't impressed with GxM. I thought Gamera: Attack of Legion covered the same ground and did it better. GMK on the other hand was a lot of fun. Decent FX, some funny bits and some quality collateral damage. Both dubs were pretty lame (GMK was better) and the edits and lack of OAR sucked.

Scott Crum
09-01-2003, 07:55 AM
now watching the letterbox, uncut version of Megalon on SCIFI and i'm in awe. Finally, a cleaned up print of the film (as opposed to the vhs EP prints and shoddy DVDs that have came before)!!

I fell asleep ~ 30 minutes into it but agree completely. It looked great and these older Godzilla films I find more much interesting between the Godzilla parts than the newer ones. The newer one are to damn serious and seem to similar between the battles. And the only thing worse than CGI is bad CGI.....GODZILLA versus MEGAGUIRUS is horrible IMHO......the effects are laughable,

Scott

Denise*G
09-01-2003, 11:18 AM
it was a mad scramble to get a new DVDR file ready since there were no commercial breaks between the end of Megalon and the beginning of Mechagodzilla, but I am pleased-as-punch to have snagged them both. a cool thing with iMovie is that I can add Letterboxing to the movie, meaning I can get rid of the Sci-Fi logo and movie ads on the bottom of the screen.
one thing I noticed was even though Megalon was 2.35:1 it was still off center, cutting off a lot on the right side. TV overscan is certainly the problem, but even on my 23" cinema display computer monitor it just barely made it.
now all I need is a better copy of the LBX English dub of Hedorah that Sci-Fi plays every once and a while. I had to put my VHS dub of that onto DVDR and it isn't so pretty.

Andrew Monroe
09-01-2003, 11:23 AM
That was extremely annoying,having to in my case,quickly eject a tape and throw another in between movies.I don`t know of many networks that run movies this way,they usually end a few minutes before the hour.Sci-Fi runs a shitload of commercials.Did you think the run time of MEGALON was okay?It seemed a bit short,I edited commercials out of this and MECHAGODZILLA,and yes,I`m sleepy!

Denise*G
09-01-2003, 11:30 AM
That was extremely annoying,having to in my case,quickly eject a tape and throw another in between movies.I don`t know of many networks that run movies this way,they usually end a few minutes before the hour.Sci-Fi runs a shitload of commercials.Did you think the run time of MEGALON was okay?It seemed a bit short,I edited commercials out of this and MECHAGODZILLA,and yes,I`m sleepy!

it did seem short, but I have yet to edit those two. (will be doing it in about 5 min) it's much easier to just record it all onto my HD in DVDR files and then edit out the commercials later.
i know, the commercials are just a bit over 4min each time, though.

Andrew Monroe
09-01-2003, 11:43 AM
For those interested,Sci-Fi is running DESTROY ALL MONSTERS ws next Saturday at 11am.Here is the schedule:

Sci-Fi (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=6-SEP-2003&feed_req)

Denise*G
09-01-2003, 01:19 PM
For those interested,Sci-Fi is running DESTROY ALL MONSTERS ws next Saturday at 11am.Here is the schedule:

Sci-Fi (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=6-SEP-2003&feed_req)

that's nice, but since I have the DVD, there's no point for me.
maybe this will stir things up and we'll get some more LBX G-Movies on Sci-Fi for those that don't have the Simitar discs.
also, I wouldn't mind seeing LBX versions of the English dubbed Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle For Earth, since the DVDs are FF shit.

Denise*G
09-01-2003, 01:51 PM
ok,
the LBX Megalon from, Sci-Fi totals 81:26
the FF Megalon from Alpha totals 77:43

the one difference so far (besides it being FF and looking like shit) is that the Alpha disc does not have the opening credits. it has up to the GODZILLA VS MEGALON title logo, and then to the kid in the water. the Sci-Fi version has all of the opening credits.
one thing, so far, that is nice about the Sci-Fi version, is that even with the commercial breaks, it doesn't seem like any footage was cut out.
I've never seen a Japanese version of this movie, so I really don't know if there is a longer version or not. I suppose I could do some net research :)
I do remember someone saying that Toho got in trouble for Jet Jaguar looking too much like Ultraman, which squashed any future home video release of it... but I dont know how true that is.

Bill Piper
09-01-2003, 02:06 PM
well Megalon and MG are suppose to be uncut prints. There are some scenes that never made it into the US prints (this has been talked about on the Monster Zero board). what you seen last night, is the full version. they were sent to sci fi from toho themselves (again, this is all on monster zero and if you aren't a member there, i highly recommend signing up).

Denise*G
09-01-2003, 03:14 PM
(again, this is all on monster zero and if you aren't a member there, i highly recommend signing up).

no, i'm not... but i guess i will be :)

Andrew Monroe
09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
ok,
the LBX Megalon from, Sci-Fi totals 81:26
the FF Megalon from Alpha totals 77:43

Thanks for the information.Thanks also rxfiend,it`s great to know these are supposed to be uncut prints.Hopefully this is a sign of more to come on Sci-Fi.

I do think Jet Jaguar bears more than a passing resemblance to Ultraman,so that certainly sounds plausible about a legality.Ultraman could clean his clock without breaking a sweat though.:)

Richard Sweeney
09-01-2003, 03:55 PM
The Sci fi GODZILLA VS MEGALON was great. I am on the MONSTER ZERO board, I Highly recommend it.

Joe L
09-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I taped both GVM and GMK, but didn't really watch them - I was on the computer and raced back and forth to cut out commercials. From what I did see, they looked bad with the Full Framing and bad dubbing. I really hope I can get A DVD-R for these, with the original Japanese versions.

I agree that the older Godzilla films are the best, and the one I really wanted was MEGALON. However, I was sick yesterday and for some reason I got to not care by the time 11:00 rolled around (that goes to show you how sick I felt). I just went to sleep. :(
Hopefully, the sci-fi channel will run MEGALON again.

Nick Schwartz
09-01-2003, 10:40 PM
I nearly missed the new episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force to see the new Megalon print. GEEZ! Did it rock? Thankfully I had two VCRs so when Megalon ended the second one went into action and I got Mechagodzilla.

Wow! Sometimes the Sci-Fi Channel DOES have a use! ;)

Bill Piper
09-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Joe Lozo

I agree that the older Godzilla films are the best, and the one I really wanted was MEGALON. However, I was sick yesterday and for some reason I got to not care by the time 11:00 rolled around (that goes to show you how sick I felt). I just went to sleep. :(
Hopefully, the sci-fi channel will run MEGALON again.

they will. they usually show DAM, Megalon, Gigan and Mechagodzilla once in awhile, all letterboxed. just keep a look out.

Joe L
09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
GIGAN too??? I need MEGALON and GIGAN letterboxed.

Nick Schwartz
09-02-2003, 04:29 PM
I need Gigan letterboxed. Shall we start a campaign?

Denise*G
09-02-2003, 06:19 PM
wow, i never saw them play Gigan LBX. just Hedorah LBX.
i love having all of the Japanese w/English sub discs, but I also love the added humorous English dubs, which is why i really look forward to the Sci-Fi airings. actually, sometimes I like the dubs better.
G-movies are the only ones I need to have the subbed AND the dubbed.

Bill Piper
09-03-2003, 02:57 AM
if you want Gigan letterboxed, and with english dub, just do what i did. get the Mei-AH VCD of it. the print looks great. it has chinese subtitles in the bottom black area, but you can easily look past that. i put the vcd onto DVD-R (cleaned it up a little and cropped out the subtitles) and it looks great. the vcd can be found on ebay for less than $10.

Denise*G
09-03-2003, 11:41 AM
if you want Gigan letterboxed, and with english dub, just do what i did. get the Mei-AH VCD of it. the print looks great. it has chinese subtitles in the bottom black area, but you can easily look past that. i put the vcd onto DVD-R (cleaned it up a little and cropped out the subtitles) and it looks great. the vcd can be found on ebay for less than $10.

actually, I had a 6-VCD Godzilla box set (came with two G-figures. movies in Japanese with Chinese/English double subs) from Mei Ah... and I thought the quality wasn't that great (but VCD isn't that great to begin with) so I ended up copying them and selling the set, and have pretty much stayed away from VCDs. Gigan wasn't one of the six, but I just checked and I can buy that Gigan VCD for only US$2.18 from La Yo Yo, but I really hate VCD quality. I might, though.

Bill Piper
09-03-2003, 01:31 PM
from what i hear, Gigan is the best in terms of quality. i only had two of Mei-Ah's VCDs; gigan and King Ghidorah. that GvKG vcd, is probably one of the worst i've ever seen. i bought it cause it had japanese audio with english subs, plus it was letterbox. but after i got it and watched the vcd, i was disappointed in the bad quality. the print was very dirty and was CUT!

Richard Sweeney
09-05-2003, 12:56 PM
I taped GIGAN last time it was on. Glad I finally got MEGALON.