PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Price Midnite Movie Double-Features- The Best Yet?

Lil' Spanky
08-21-2003, 08:13 PM
This coming Tuesday (August 26th) MGM is releasing 3 Vincent Price Double-Bills. I think personally that these are the best Price films MGM has released yet.

My question is what do you think of the films? Here is how I break it down -

Tomb of Ligeia - This is my personal favorite Price film. Atmospheric and brooding. I think Price plays the perfect character here. Evil, but still smooth; how it should be in my opinion. The ending is classic and Corman captures the mood perfectly. ****1/2 out of *****

An Evening With Edgar Allen Poe - This short 1 hour special is perfect to showcase the acting ability of Price. Just like Laura, this proved Price can work out of type and be sucessful. An accomplished stage actor, Price finally got the chance to return to the stage and show off his raw talent, without a large supporting cast, soundtrack, set, etc. It's not really a movie, so i'm not gonna rate this one.

The Haunted Palace - I like this, although I do think it gets a little too hammy and overracted at times. The sets and Price's role as Charles Dexter Ward and his "split personality" are both great. Not Corman's best (In my opinion, Tomb of Ligeia, The Raven, and Masque of the Red Death are better) but it's alot of fun. **** out of *****

The Tower of London - I prefer the 1939 original to this (Although Price plays a larger role in this one, I still enjoyed the presense of Karloff (Small, but excellent) in the original and overall better direction/production) Corman's lost cause. ** out of *****

The Comedy of Terrors - Fun, fast paced comedy. Karloff steals the show as the old man. I still perfer The Raven to this, but nevertheless, a worthy Price film. ***1/2 out of *****

The Raven - I love The Raven. A perfect blend of action, comedy, and horror. The plot (in my opinion) is much better and much more lively in this one. Loree steals the show. Look out for Jack Nicholson in one of his earliest roles (post-The Terror) I think another reason I like this more than Comedy of Terrors is that it has more rewatchability. **** out of *****

ENJOY! And please, post your reviews of the films aswell!

Jason P
08-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Tomb of Ligeia
Good costumes and atmosphere.. The ending? I seem to remember the ending being pretty similar to most of Corman's other Poe movies.. This one is said to be a favorite of many but I wouldn't say its one of mine really.. *** 1/2

An Evening With Edgar Allan Poe
I taped this off cable awhile back but have yet to watch it.. :eek: I can't judge it but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The Haunted Palace
Bad makeup and dopey townspeople.. Good double role for Price and always nice to see Elisha Cook and Lon Chaney Jr. *** 1/2

The Tower of London
I liked this one alot. I've never seen the 1939 version. Its a nice gothic horror movie with the feeling of an authentic costume drama. Price gives an evil, scheming performance without becoming slimy and dirty like in Witchfinder General. Suspenseful, great atmosphere, sets and costumes. **** 1/2

The Comedy of Terrors
Very witty and funny. How can you not like it when it teams Price, Karloff, Lorre and Rathbone? I'm not a big Karloff fan but I would have liked it if he were given a bigger or different role. I love Rathbone as the landlord who can't stay dead. ****

The Raven
Good movie but not quite as funny as I expected. Still I would say this is probably one of the best looking of the Poe series. Again, has the same run of the mill ending as many in this series. Fine role for Price and a much bigger and more interesting role for Karloff. Looking forward to seeing this on DVD as I've only seen it on a cropped, grainy VHS tape. ****

So I believe with these releases, all of the Poe movies will have been released on DVD right? Anybody else planning on making a night (or a couple nights) of them? I would like to spend a weekend and watch all of the new DVDs along with the earlier releases (Masque, Usher, Pit, Premature Burial, Tales of Terror, etc).. I can't wait!

Lil' Spanky
08-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Jason
[b]So I believe with these releases, all of the Poe movies will have been released on DVD right? Anybody else planning on making a night (or a couple nights) of them? I would like to spend a weekend and watch all of the new DVDs along with the earlier releases (Masque, Usher, Pit, Premature Burial, Tales of Terror, etc).. I can't wait!

That's a really good idea, Jason! I plan on watching all of the AIP/Poe films over labor day weekend before school starts.

Friday - Tomb of Ligeia, Masque of the Red Death, Premature Burial

Saturday - Tales of Terror, The Raven, House of Usher

Sunday - An Evening With Edgar Allen Poe, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Pit and the Pendulum

Stephen
08-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Tomb of Ligeia
My favorite too. One of the best Poe filmings ever! Wonderful acting by Price and Shepherd. Great script by Robert Towne. Impressing locations. But I can understand that some people prefer Corman's studio filmed Poe movies. *****

An Evening With Edgar Allan Poe
Only have a VHS in bad quality of this. Therefore I watched only the first segment of the four. But I'm sure I will like it! Have the soundtrack music of Les Baxter for this on CD and listen to it very often. I'm looking foreward to watch this in better quality soon!

The Haunted Palace
Very good acting by Price in his constantly changing double role. Also like Debra Paget, Lon Chaney jr. and Elisha Cook jr. (know him from many Bogart films) in their roles. I'm not sure, why this isn't a complete winner for me. Maybe because we got a Lovecraft story but the look is like in Corman's Poe films? Other problem for me: I like Ronald Steins music very much, but I think the main theme is used too often. ***1/2

The Tower of London
I don't know the 1939 version and I'm not very impressed by this one. Okay nice little film, but nothing more. Interesting Roger Corman did no comment on this for the MGM discs (as for his other films in this bunch). I remember he had planed to shoot this film in color and wasn't happy to do it in black & white. **1/2

The Comedy of Terrors
Beside TOMB OF LIGEIA my favorite. IMO Price' best comedy role. And the only film with the teaming of Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone! Not to forget Joe E. Brown, Joyce Jameson und Rhurbarb, the cat. *****

The Raven
This was my first Vincent Price movie. I saw it at age of 8 or 9 and therefore I will ever love it. Great to have Jack Nicholson and Hazel Court joining the wonderful team of Price-Lorre-Karloff. But for me THE COMEDY OF TERRORS has more rewatchability. ;) ****1/2

I agree with AmicusVP: "that these are the best Price films MGM has released yet." But now not much is left for release: MASTER OF THE WORLD, DIARY OF A MADMAN, THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (?), DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, HOUSE OF A THOUSAND DOLLS, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, MADHOUSE, HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS and THE OFFSPRING. Did I forgot something? Maybe the western MORE DEAD THAN ALIVE (I like Vincent's acting in it). I'm happy to get THE WHALES OF AUGUST in October from MGM!

Joe L
08-21-2003, 10:18 PM
I picked a few of these up early. I'm only now really catching up with Price, as he wasn't a favorite of mine while growing up and I missed some of his films.

Of the new MGM's, I've really only seen (completely) THE RAVEN and THE HAUNTED PALACE.
I have yet to see TOMB OF LIGEIA (which I'm looking forward to) and THE COMEDY OF TERRORS (looking forward to this too). But I'm not looking too forward to TOWER OF LONDON. But you never know.

Jason P
08-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Stephen
I agree with AmicusVP: "that these are the best Price films MGM has released yet." But now not much is left for release: MASTER OF THE WORLD, DIARY OF A MADMAN, THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (?), DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS, HOUSE OF A THOUSAND DOLLS, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, MADHOUSE, HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS and THE OFFSPRING. Did I forgot something? Maybe the western MORE DEAD THAN ALIVE (I like Vincent's acting in it). I'm happy to get THE WHALES OF AUGUST in October from MGM!

Is not having much left to release a bad thing? :) I'd like to have them all out on DVD. I'd particularly like to see DIARY OF A MADMAN, LAST MAN ON EARTH, MADHOUSE and HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS with the last 2 being my most wanted. Does MGM have the rights to LONG SHADOWS? I have this on an old VHS and would like to get it on DVD. As for WITCHFINDER, I have the R2 release of that one so I don't care much either way.

Lil' Spanky
08-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Jason
Is not having much left to release a bad thing? :) I'd like to have them all out on DVD. I'd particularly like to see DIARY OF A MADMAN, LAST MAN ON EARTH, MADHOUSE and HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS with the last 2 being my most wanted. Does MGM have the rights to LONG SHADOWS? I have this on an old VHS and would like to get it on DVD. As for WITCHFINDER, I have the R2 release of that one so I don't care much either way.

Yes, MGM has the rights to HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS. I could see these pairings for April -

HOUSE OF LONG SHADOWS/MADHOUSE
DIARY OF A MADMAN/MASTER OF THE WORLD
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS/HOUSE OF 1,000 DOLLS
LAST MAN ON EARTH/THE OFFSPRING

THe first 2 pairings are more likely than the others.

Captain Spaulding
08-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Tomb of Ligeia - One of Price's finest works. Includes lots of atmosphere and the beautiful sets add to its glamour. Excellent gothic horror in its own right. 4/5

An Evening With Edgar Allen Poe - This shows just how well Vincent Price could actually work on his own and in the theatre itself. Although it can be a bit boring to watch at times I still wouldn't say it's bad just because it's a One-Man-Show. 3.5/5

The Haunted Palace - My favorite of Price's horror films. Extremely atmospheric but this could also lead to the film just relying on that, which it does some of the time. Price does a great job, as usual but it could've been better. 4.5/5

The Tower of London - Haven't seen.

The Comedy of Terrors - Price, Karloff and Lorre. Could we ask for anything more? These three blend together and compliment one another with their styles and physical appearance. Very comedix at times but lacked a real good punch. 3.5/5

The Raven - If Lorre and Price weren't enough... We get Karloff. Now this film is just plain fun all around and is pretty atmospheric but it doesn't rely on just that, which is great. Interesting story and actors make this one a winner indeed. 4/5