PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla X Mechagodzilla R3 dvd now available!!

Bill Piper
08-08-2003, 12:44 PM
this dvd is now available. i ordered my copy off http://hivizone.com/ for $13 (8 for disc, and 5 for shipping). and like the other G Universe and Laser discs, it does feature english subs!

Ian Jane
08-08-2003, 01:05 PM
I ordered this a couple of days ago and got shipping confirmation this morning. Can't wait to check this one out.

Richard Sweeney
08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I finally got to send for the unsubtitled toho DVD. I think I'll start with that then get a subtitled one in OCT

Denise*G
08-08-2003, 07:36 PM
i ordered mine a few days ago for $4.58 for La Yo Yo since I had free shipping for my entire order.

(welp, I just noticed they raised their price from HK$38 to HK$42)

i think you can get it also from DDDHOUSE for only $10.26, as it is HK$50+HK$30sh=HK$80 which is only $10.26 :)

Jim Peavy
08-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna' have to break down and get a region free player eventually.:(

ROBERT BLACK
08-11-2003, 01:35 AM
I'll be picking up my R3 in Chinatown this coming weekend.:p Does anyone know if this DVD will have a 5.1 AC3 mix? The last Godzilla flick(GMK)Universe released on DVD, only had 2 channel.

Denise*G
08-11-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by ROBERT BLACK
I'll be picking up my R3 in Chinatown this coming weekend.:p Does anyone know if this DVD will have a 5.1 AC3 mix? The last Godzilla flick(GMK)Universe released on DVD, only had 2 channel.

it's listed as DTS Dolby Digital Surround 5.1
i wont know if there are any other audio options until i get it.

ROBERT BLACK
08-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Thanks Denise. A DTS track is more than adequate enough. I just hope it's the Japanese language track, instead of the Cantonese. Godzilla is just not the same unless it's Japanese language/DTS. ...Or badly dubbed english for camp value.

Denise*G
08-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks Denise. A DTS track is more than adequate enough. I just hope it's the Japanese language track, instead of the Cantonese. Godzilla is just not the same unless it's Japanese language/DTS. ...Or badly dubbed english for camp value.

I know. or not 'English subs' for the 'Cantonese audio' only.
when I first bought G2000, I was ripped that I could only use the English subs with the Cantonese audio... until someone posted the work-around. (which works for 98.9687251457896325471% of the discs with similar hassle :D Chinese, French or whatever)

Bill Piper
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM
what i did for G2000, is rip the disc using DVD Decryptor (and getting rid of the region code and other restrictions) then reburn the disc image to a dvd-r. now i have a region free, and hassle free (when it comes to the subs and audio) version of that G2000 disc.

ROBERT BLACK
08-15-2003, 02:01 PM
As it turns out the DTS track is ONLY part of the Cantonese dub. The Japanese language track is 2 channel stereo.

Ian Jane
08-15-2003, 02:06 PM
But it is there right, and with English subs? My copy is waiting for me at the post office as I type this, I'll be swinging by on my lunch break to pick it up.

ROBERT BLACK
08-15-2003, 07:44 PM
English subs are fine. Haven't gotten around to viewing the whole thing yet. But it looks good.

Ian Jane
08-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Just got my copy an hour or so ago, gonna check it out this weekend.

Joe L
08-17-2003, 07:03 AM
I picked up a nice DVD-R bootleg of this one (bless their hearts!) and so far haven't been able to see the whole thing. I'll reserve official comments till after I have, but from what I've seen so far, this film isn't so great.

Denise*G
08-17-2003, 09:10 AM
why bother buying a boot when there's a very cheap ($5) official DVD available?

Joe L
08-17-2003, 09:59 AM
For one thing, it's hard to buy the $5 one when you don't know about it :rolleyes:

For another, is this Region 1 ?

Denise*G
08-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Joe Lozo
For one thing, it's hard to buy the $5 one when you don't know about it :rolleyes:
For another, is this Region 1 ?

it's R3 (as the subject of this thread states) but region limits hardly stop anyone. you could always spend $.77 for a DVD-R and have someone make an ALL REGION copy for you.
that sounds cheaper and much better than supporting bootleggers of an easily gotten DVD.
if it was something unavailable, I could understand.
but I guess if you didn't know about it... you must have bought it before 8/8.

Joe L
08-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by trollech
much better than supporting bootleggers of an easily gotten DVD.
if it was something unavailable, I could understand.
but I guess if you didn't know about it... you must have bought it before 8/8.

I didn't know anything about this R3 disc when I bought the bootleg. I was pleased to have it with a great, professional cover and figured I wouldn't get it from anyone else or any other way.

Denise*G
08-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Joe Lozo
I didn't know anything about this R3 disc when I bought the bootleg. I was pleased to have it with a great, professional cover and figured I wouldn't get it from anyone else or any other way.

i'd love to hear how it looks and sounds... and if it was just the HK release made into an All Region disc.
what does the cover look like?

Joe L
08-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Cover looks blue-ish.... mechaGodzilla on left, Godzilla on right, girl in center.

ROBERT BLACK
08-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Then it's copy of the Japanese cover. Does the DVD-R boot have permanent english subs?

Joe L
08-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Then it's copy of the Japanese cover. Does the DVD-R boot have permanent english subs?

Yes. The back says "2" under NTSC (does this mean Region 2)??

ROBERT BLACK
08-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Yes It does. But since it"s a boot, it's region coding was stripped when copied. Does it have any english subs?

Joe L
08-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Yes, it has english subs (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise). Now, the thing is that I haven't watched the whole movie yet, just SOME of it; however, is it my imagination or do the subs not make that much sense? I've heard people say that sometimes the translations are not done well.

Denise*G
08-18-2003, 11:37 PM
if it does, I hope it's not Japanese-translated to-Chinese -then- Chinese-translated to-Engrish.
at least the official HK release's subs wouldn't be that bad as I think they have a Japanese-straight to-English translation for Japanese movies released in HK since there are still a lot of English speakers there. I find the bootlegs (the Taiwanese boots more than anything) to be almost unwatchable because of the horrible Engrish.

Official HK & JP discs are usually good. just the boots are horrible.

(i guess i sort of answered your question before i saw your post above)

Scott Crum
08-20-2003, 03:16 PM

I just got done watching this disc. It has 5.1 Dolby and DTS. The DTS is absolutely amazing. My sub-woofer took a helluva beating..........really outstanding. The english subtitles are well done but there is the occasional strange way of saying things. As for the movie I must admit that I was disappointed. The ending just doesn't feel like the movie ended.....it seems rushed and I think you'll be left with that "that's it?" feeling. Just when things were getting good the credits roll. BTW the video quality is very good also.

Scott

Joe L
08-20-2003, 06:07 PM
About the subtitles for these movies. Are there DIFFERENT interpretations? I could swear I've seen a couple of different versions of the Japanese KING KONG VS GODZILLA, each with some different dialogue written down?

Scott Crum
08-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Jubei
You know, Japanese is not like the English and sometimes verY different to translate. DON'T FORGET YOU ARE DEALING WITH A HK DISC!;)

Understand completely.

Denise*G
08-21-2003, 01:51 AM
i wish it would have been anamorphic. also, i know it is framed correctly, but i cant help but feel it should have been opened up a little more.

Richard Sweeney
08-21-2003, 11:23 AM
I have just seen the4 Toho dvd and it is awesome. I really likes this flick. It is the best Mech Godzilla movie yet. It was a little hard to get use to the new godzilla head, but it has really grown on me. Using the original Godzilla for mech was a nice touch.
Since it wasn't subtitled I have a few questions
1. What was with the little girl and the plant.
2. What happend to her mother.
3.What was the deal after the credits?

I really liked it a lot, much better than GMK!

Bill Piper
08-30-2003, 12:58 PM
well i FINALLY got the dvd! first off, the video looks very good! it reminded me of the GMK transfer (which was great, though had a bit of a softness look to it). when i watched the film, i listened to the chinese dub DTS track (japanese track is only 2.0). the DTS dub was very good! lots of activity. i'll have to listen to the japanese track some other time. now for the movie. i admit, i was a bit disappointed with it. out of the new G films (2000 & up), this has to be at the bottom. It definately fills like the beginning of a story (which it is, as the Kiryu storyline will conclude in TOKYO S.O.S.). Godzilla seems very spaced out in this flick. During the first confrontation with Kiryu (the name for MG in this film), he basically just stands there and let Kiryu kick his ass. In later battles, G doesn't much around that much either. Perhaps he can sense the original Godzilla's DNA in Kiryu, or maybe the actor in the suit was just tired...LOL. Also, the new look for G just seems off. Maybe it's the lack of color (he's all grey this time about) or maybe it's his face. I dunno. May take a few viewings of the film before I can get used to it. After TOKYO S.O.S. comes out, i may change my opinion on this film. But as is, it's pretty disappointing. Definately a step down from the amazing GMK. here are some pics i captured for your pleasure:

http://home.fuse.net/sp/g01.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g02.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g03.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g04.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g05.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g06.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/sp/g07.jpg

Bill Piper
08-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by CharlieRogers

1. What was with the little girl and the plant.
2. What happend to her mother.
3.What was the deal after the credits?

1. I believe the plant was something the girl had to remind her of her mother (i could be wrong though).

2. She died when she gave birth to the girl's sister. Both the baby and mother died.

3. Earlier in the movie, that guy wanted to take the main female character (sorry, i don't know the names off hand) out on a date. He basically got turned down everytime. But after the battle, the female character started to see life differently (she was a very depressed person), and decided to take the guy up on his offer. Also, it shows that Kiryu is still intact and ready to go for TOKYO S.O.S.

Richard Sweeney
08-30-2003, 01:49 PM
I figured it was something like that, thanks.