PDA

View Full Version : Dark Water

Conner H
08-02-2003, 08:04 PM
PLOT (from PokerIndustries.com):
Yoshimi is fighting to gain the legal custody of her five-year-old daughter while the two live in a dark and musty apartment building. Yoshimi is already insecure and uncertain about her future with her daughter, and now she is haunted by a lifelike, murky water dripping through the ceilings and walls, and by the almost taunting appearances of a small red bag. Disturbed by the events that are plaguing her building, Yoshimi wants only to get on with her life. But something much darker is waiting for her, and her simple wish may not be answered.

MOVIE:
Dark Water is terrifying, no two ways about it. There is absolutley no gore, but the ghost scares are some of the most harrowing scenes put to film. The scare shots are spaced out a little with drama scenes, which will confuse jaded horror fans on what type of movie this is. Drama is nessescary in a horror movie, as it helps us care about the characters and spaces out the scares so we dont become desensitized to them, but some will see it as a little much. Still, this is only a minor handicap to a select few in an amazing film. The drama scenes are not wasted, and really help the plot move along. The atmosphere is terrifying (when's the last time you actually gripped your seat the minute the brooding music came on, anticipating something horrifying?) and the storyline is excellent. The ending is a real tear-jerker too. 9/10

DVD:
Great letterbox picture. Unfortunatley they didn't have an option to squeeze all the subtitles in the bottom black bar (for us viewers not blessed with 16x9 televisions). Still, the subs have black outlines so they're always viewable (a HUGE problem with the Tartan Ringu DVD). There are no typos or "Engrish" like grammatical mistakes. Unfortunatley, there are NO special features. 7.5/10

Conner H
08-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Bill Pissott
One of my favorite films! The atmosphere and sense of dread are so thick, you really can cut it with a knife. Spooky, spooky stuff from Nakata and quite a few notches above his "Ring".

I agree 100%. I feel I didn't praise it enough. It RULES Ring.

Christoffer S
08-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Cool!
This will be released next month or so in Sweden.
So I guess Ill have to pcik it up :)

Al Edwards
05-03-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3944

Jari K
05-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Well HK-disc has DTS, and it was cheap, so I doubt that US-release will have the DTS-track. ;)

Jari K
05-26-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

"ADV Films will release Hideo Nakata's Dark Water on June 21st. The Japanese ghostly thriller arrives with a fullscreen transfer, Japanese Dolby Digital stereo and English subtitles."

Fullscreen?