PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Kung Fu Soccer Fighting Edited

mark t
07-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Okay, i've been around the net checking this shit out, and i'm pretty pissed.

Does anyone know the cuts that are being made to this movie? For some reason, the new running time is 86 min (out of 111 minutes!!!), the opening credits have been changed, and a "remake" of the song Kung Fu Fighting (even though there's not really any Kung Fu Fighting in the movie) has been pasted in there somewhere. I think that there were only 7 minutes chopped out of the long version for the already edited version that exists out there...i'm trying to figure out where miramax cut almost half an hour from! Seriously, if they've tried to americanize it by cutting out the whole "Shaolin Kung Fu" musical segment in the bar, somebody's getting an ass kicking.

It's also interesting to note that miramax had planned to call this movie "Kung Fu Soccer", you know, just in case some dumbass fuckhead didn't know what Shaolin meant.

Since being introduced to this movie by Happy King Ian Jane, it's quickly become one of my favourites. I had hoped to avoid paying 40 bucks CDN for the import version of this disc, with prayers that Miramax might release the original version in R1, but with this latest butchering, i don't think that there's a hope in hell this will happen.

This cinematic sodomy, along with miramax's decision to release Kill Bill in 2 parts, puts them at number one in the "Studios that can kiss my motherfucking ass for doing stupid dumbass shit to movies that i love" list.

Die, Miramax.

scott favareille
07-29-2003, 01:00 PM
And I have seen the poster for this. They spelled the stars name as Stephen Chow.

Hell, they can't even spell his name right.

Ian Jane
07-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Are you serious? I haven't seen the poster yet.

Christoffer S
07-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Weinstein borthers = Satan x2

mark t
07-31-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Joe Kocur
Weinstein borthers = Satan x2

Yes sir. I can't believe this. Of course, i'll go see it, just because i want to see what they cut out, but i'll hate Miramax through every second of it, which makes everyone happy...i get to complain, and they get their money to bastardize another title that i like.

mark t
08-02-2003, 01:45 PM
I also just heard from my stepfather, who saw the little sneak preview thing they were doing on TV, that they've added in Batman-like sound bubbles (POW! WHAMMO! SOCK!!!) during the fight scenes. If this is true...somebody dies.

mark t
08-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by scott favareille
And I have seen the poster for this. They spelled the stars name as Stephen Chow.

Hell, they can't even spell his name right.

I noticed that too...because the poster that i saw is one of those 60 foot tall ones that's mounted on the front of the local cineplex, and the name "STEPHEN CHOW" is bigger than my car.

Fuckheads...

Christoffer S
08-02-2003, 03:21 PM
They probably looked on IMDB for him, and got i from there.

I think Im gonna buy the italian version myself:
"In the Italian version, all main characters are dubbed by professional soccer players (Damiano Tommasi, Vincent Candela, Marco Delvecchio, Sinisa Mihajlovic, Giuseppe Pancaro and Angelo Peruzzi.)"
And this, is way cool! Mihajlovic is like my all time hero! He lived two blocks from my house in Serbia where I lived the first 4 years of my life!

mark t
08-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Joe Kocur
They probably looked on IMDB for him, and got i from there.

And this, is way cool! Mihajlovic is like my all time hero! He lived two blocks from my house in Serbia where I lived the first 4 years of my life!

Arent' they after him for war crimes right now?

:)

Conner H
08-02-2003, 07:20 PM
I've never heard of this movie, but that's quite a title. :)

Christoffer S
08-03-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by mark tolch
Arent' they after him for war crimes right now?

:)

Hell no, as far as I know he is still playing soccer in Lazio. (The team from Rome that is famous for their fascist/skinhead hooligans) ;)

Though speaking of people wanted for war crimes I have this cool t-shirt with a picture of Radovan Karadzic and the text "SERBIAN HERO" on it.
But I hardly ever wear it, my wife doesnt like it at all. (And there are alot of bosnians in this city)

mark t
08-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by The Evil One
I've never heard of this movie, but that's quite a title. :)

Well,it's called Shaolin Soccer. But Miramax was going to call it Kung Fu Soccer, just so they didn't confuse Joe Theater Goer. And then they cut half an hour from it, changed the soundtrack, and sodomized it with no lube. Hence the thread title, although i did omit any mention of sodomy.

Ronald Weston
08-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Just saw this yesterday on another board.

If this story is on the up-and-up it looks like Miramax has had a change of heart (you know, like, possibly making only three bucks at the boxoffice!):

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-08-04-05.htm

If you haven't seen this get the original now!

Ron

mark t
08-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ronald Weston
Just saw this yesterday on another board.

If this story is on the up-and-up it looks like Miramax has had a change of heart (you know, like, possibly making only three bucks at the boxoffice!):

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-08-04-05.htm

If you haven't seen this get the original now!

Ron

Wow...I guess we CAN make a difference. One has to wonder if the test audience would have reacted so negatively if they'd just been shown the original!

Thanks for the info Ronald, i was gearing up to hit the theatre this friday to see what they'd done to one of my favourite films, but now i won't bother.

chuckd
08-17-2003, 05:31 PM
I can't wait to see what these fucking idiots do to some of the classic Shaw films. I remember seeing the list of films that they acquired but I seem to have lost it. Anyone know which films they plan to ruin?

Thank god for the r2 celestial dvd's.