PDA

View Full Version : Tetsuo: Iron Man

Jeff Gr
07-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Any opinions about this movie?

How about the OOP Image release on DVD compared to the Japanese import?

Thanks!

Denise*G
07-28-2003, 02:59 AM
i love it. i would stick with getting the OOP Image version, over the Japanese, for mainly two reasons. first, no English subs on the Japanese release, plus it'll set you back about $48.00 - the Image release has English subs, and even though it is OOP, you can still find it for about $15 or less.

Jubei
07-28-2003, 03:06 AM
Or you can buy R2 Pal Tartan (UK) release which is much better than Image release.

Denise*G
07-28-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Jubei
Or you can buy R2 Pal Tartan (UK) release which is much better than Image release.

well, I've never heard that it was better... where is the comparison posted at?
but still, the UK version is a LOT MORE (£16) plus it's PAL.
if only the French version had English subs, I could recommend that.

Jubei
07-28-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by trollech
well, I've never heard that it was better... where is the comparison posted at?
but still, the UK version is a LOT MORE (£16) plus it's PAL.
if only the French version had English subs, I could recommend that.

I have both Image and Tartan disc and Tartan version has better picture in my opinion.

HAL
07-28-2003, 05:28 AM
To all the Tsukamoto fans out there: >Wait for the RaroVideo release!
The italian label RaroVideo (Holy Mountain) will sell in september the Tsukamoto Box Set conteining the first two movie of Tetsuo+Adventure of Denchu Kozo. Tsukamoto himself have take part in this release apporting some unseen scenes in Tetsuo movie. RaroVideo says that the quality image will be the clearest avaible on DVD. I'll watch for it...

Bill Pissott
07-28-2003, 07:31 AM
This is one bizarre and freaky film! I have the Tartan release and it looks pretty darn good.

Jason Cook
07-29-2003, 01:15 AM
This film was pretty common at alot of video stores around me. Its what got me into Asian films. Its a must!

I bought a bootleg on E-bay because I didn't want to pay an absurd price for the out of print R1 release & It looks & sounds great for the $15 bucks I paid for it!:)

Denise*G
07-29-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by HAL
To all the Tsukamoto fans out there: >Wait for the RaroVideo release!
The italian label RaroVideo (Holy Mountain) will sell in september the Tsukamoto Box Set conteining the first two movie of Tetsuo+Adventure of Denchu Kozo. Tsukamoto himself have take part in this release apporting some unseen scenes in Tetsuo movie. RaroVideo says that the quality image will be the clearest avaible on DVD. I'll watch for it...

will it have ENGLISH subs? most Japanese movies released on DVD in a non-English country usually dont include ENGLISH language options. some do, most dont. just because Holy Mnt had an English track isn't really a reason I would bank on.

btw, DVDEmpire had a USED copy (yep, they sell USED stuff now) of the OOP Image disc for $15.00

HAL
07-29-2003, 04:26 AM
will it have ENGLISH subs?

Yes, there will be english sub

Denise*G
07-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by HAL
Yes, there will be english sub

wunderbar!

Lee O
07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
The region 0 bootleg of the Japanese disc has great subs, and the A/V blows away the Image version. Not to mention it only costs around $10 on ebay

Stephen Biro
07-31-2003, 02:05 AM
The region 0 bootleg of the Japanese disc has great subs, and the A/V blows away the Image version. Not to mention it only costs around $10 on ebay

Yeah and the Region 0 bootleg is what stops US, "Unearthed Films" from picking up the rights to it and doing the whole remastering dvd you say you always want for all of the films.

As long as dvd fans continue to buy the bootleg dvd's on ebay that come from Malaysia for $4.00 each wholesale the real companies won't bother paying the money the producers need for the film to sell it.

We we're going to buy it but have been debating on the the whole dvd bootleg market. It's one thing for it to be bootleg video but another on dvd.

And for the record, we are putting a stop to the company that did make that cause their still pressing Junk dvd's.

Going to kick some Malaysian ass and then get the guy who runs it in Hong Kong. Seriously.

Stephen
Unearthed Films

Jubei
07-31-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by heneverdies
Yeah and the Region 0 bootleg is what stops US, "Unearthed Films" from picking up the rights to it and doing the whole remastering dvd you say you always want for all of the films.

As long as dvd fans continue to buy the bootleg dvd's on ebay that come from Malaysia for $4.00 each wholesale the real companies won't bother paying the money the producers need for the film to sell it.

We we're going to buy it but have been debating on the the whole dvd bootleg market. It's one thing for it to be bootleg video but another on dvd.

And for the record, we are putting a stop to the company that did make that cause their still pressing Junk dvd's.

Going to kick some Malaysian ass and then get the guy who runs it in Hong Kong. Seriously.

Stephen
Unearthed Films

Hi Stephen,

Will you still release Shojin Fukui's Pinocchio 964 and Rubber's Lover ?

sonikdeth
07-31-2003, 09:34 AM
...I'm with Jubei on this one....I hope yr. still planning to release these two Shojin Fukui titles, I've been dying to see them for ages. I Haven't seen any DVD boots of these around, so I hope they are still in the pipeline.

Stephen Biro
07-31-2003, 10:14 PM
...I'm with Jubei on this one....I hope yr. still planning to release these two Shojin Fukui titles, I've been dying to see them for ages. I Haven't seen any DVD boots of these around, so I hope they are still in the pipeline.

Don't worry, Pinnochio and Rubber's Lover is ours. We had to take it off the site for a tiny bit due to one producer of the film started to hassle about it being sold without his permission.

Contracts are done and payment has been sent and the materials for the films will be here in two weeks. Then we can start working on them.

Rubber's and Pinnochio 964 have been two of my favorite films from Japan and no one did the dvd boot on them and barely a VHS boot of them. Even if their was we would have still released them. Cause they kick ass!

We have another Japanese Cyber Punk film in our arsenal. I leaked out what it was before and I can't tell you what it is now,"Even though you probably know what it is anyway, "

So we were interested in picking up Tetsuo the Iron Man so we could have a Cyber Punk Series and maybe put out a box set years from now of them all. The dvd bootleg that showed up about 10 months ago is killing us. As you can imagine Tetsuo would be rather expensive, "And it is!" With over 5,000 dvd bootlegs floating around out there for $9.95 on eBay and other dvd websites. How can we pick it up and release it for $24.95 retail when a perfect version of the film is on a bootleg dvd.

Yeah, we can do a fresh telecine and get extra's and what not, put a lot of money in it but really, how many people are going to pick up another one? That's the problem with some of the Japanese stuff right now. So many of the good films are getting bootlegged on dvd and it really hurts the market.

There are other films we can pick up no problem but with a dvd bootleg on the market makes us think for a bit. The real fans pick up the 1st version they can get their hands on. Just so they can watch it. Yeah, they might pick up another version if it has the extra's. But do you know how many people really do buy two versions?

Testuo was already released by Fox Lorber back when dvd 1st came out, It's out of print now and used to be worth $80.00 but when the bootleggg dvd came out it sells for the same price as the $10.00 bootleg. Ouch!

So, that is the reason why we're not picking up Tetsuo. We talk about it here and there and it might happen but don't take this is a yes or anything. The dvd bootleg version of it hurts the companies trying to release the film.

It's just a sore spot with me cause Tetsuo kicks and I wanted to release it.

Stephen

www.unearthedfilms.com (http://www.unearthedfilms.com)

ROBERT BLACK
08-01-2003, 12:22 AM
He Never Dies: So we were interested in picking up Tetsuo the Iron Man so we could have a Cyber Punk Series and maybe put out a box set years from now of them all. The dvd bootleg that showed up about 10 months ago is killing us. As you can imagine Tetsuo would be rather expensive, "And it is!" With over 5,000 dvd bootlegs floating around out there for $9.95 on eBay and other dvd websites. How can we pick it up and release it for $24.95 retail when a perfect version of the film is on a bootleg dvd.

That's just it. It's NOT a perfect version. It's A BOOTLEG. It has little value, as a collectable. That's the market these cult films are aimed at. Collectors. Come out with an official version with a great transfer, that includes interviews by the director,lead actors,the effects guy and behind the scenes stills and I do believe the hardcore fans WILL shell out that money, for it.

The "Official" U.S DVD releases that suffer are the companies that release cult films with mediocre transfers and/or barebones discs. Then expect fans to shell out the $24.95, when they've had better versions on DVD-R or official PAL R2 DVDs for the last year.

Stephen Biro
08-01-2003, 04:29 AM
That's just it. It's NOT a perfect version. It's A BOOTLEG. It has little value, as a collectable. That's the market these cult films are aimed at. Collectors. Come out with an official version with a great transfer, that includes interviews by the director,lead actors,the effects guy and behind the scenes stills and I do believe the hardcore fans WILL shell out that money, for it.

But how many? How many dvd's can we sell? The people who just want to see the film, which there is a lot of them otherwise no one would be selling the bootleg version. How many dvd's of Tetsuo do you think we can sell.

Tetsuo has had many releases.

Fox Lorber's release.
Tartans R2 Release.
Bootleg release.

So we have had 2 different versions for region 1 release, The bootleg and the Fox Lorber. Most hard-core collectors have region free players and might have had picked up the Tartan release so if we did it it would have to be better then the Tartan release.

Most people aren't going to throw away their Fox Lorber release. To many other films to buy. The real collectors more then likely picked up the fox release cause it was the only one out at the time.

If we did the whole anamorph treatment and an interview with the director and what not making it the difinitive release of Tetsuo the Iron Man. How many can we sell? That is the question.

It's the reason we are releasing...
Aftermath
Rock and Rule
Black Sun the Nanking Massacre
Rubber's Lover
Pinnochio 964

It's because no one has ever released these before on DVD. All of these films kick major ass and were working with all of the directors to make these awesome releases. I know what we have on our plate for the future. Our future releases are going to kick major ass. It's just Tetsuo the Iron Man that I'm afraid of picking up due to everything that is already out there.

Maybe some other company is reading this and they might go for it. Media Blasters, from what I hear have to much money to worry about screwing up their company. Maybe they should release it. They outbid us on a couple of films already and I do have to say. They spent to much money for them.

Let us get a little bit more established, then we can start taking chances on films I personally want to release. But for right now, we have to calculate, plan and make specific choices for our company so that it grows and is continually evolving into a dvd company that will stand out from the rest.

Best,

Stephen Biro
Unearthed Filmshttp://www.unearthedfilms.com

Denise*G
08-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by heneverdies
Let us get a little bit more established, then we can start taking chances on films I personally want to release. But for right now, we have to calculate, plan and make specific choices for our company so that it grows and is continually evolving into a dvd company that will stand out from the rest.

that's definitely what's best for the company until it can afford to take chances. the only way Tetsuo would sell AGAIN is if you included some other extra that was never previously available, which was substantial enough to merit another purchase, and I don't see that sort of 'extra' being available.

these are the releases I know about:

R0 (U.S.) - Image Entertainment
English Subtitles
4:3 Non Anamorphic NTSC
Japanese Dolby Digital Mono

R0 (U.K.) - Tartan
Promotional Gallery
Theatrical Trailers
Bonus Trailers For Other Asia Extreme Releases
Justin Bowyer Film Notes
Cast & Crew Filmographies
English Subtitles
4:3 Non Anamorphic PAL

R2 (France) - Studio Canal
2 DVD Set Comes Packaged with "Tetsuo 2"
Film Presentation by Jean-Pierre Dionnet
Interviews with Shinya Tsukamoto
Theatrical Trailer
French Subtitles
4:3 Non Anamorphic PAL
Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1

R2 (Japan) - Access A
Deleted scenes
Theatrical Trailer
Collectable booklet
4:3 non anamorphic NTSC

and then the bootleg which I know nothing about.

so, unless you could take the Japanese release and add a few things from the French release and add something else like a better picture or another extra, it would seem to be a waste of time and money to release yet AGAIN another version when there are so many newer things to release that have yet to be seen by a western audience.

Mike Holley
12-20-2005, 05:21 AM
Resurrecting this thread from the dead here, but did anyone ever pick up the Raro Tsukamoto set? The Raro thread in Euro-Cult got me thinking about it. I would pick up the region 1 Tartan disc but I recently read the image is actually pretty poor since it seems to be an NTSC to PAL back to NTSC conversion ( if thats the truth, that is awful haha.) How is the image quality on the Raro set?

AdamAskov
12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Resurrecting this thread from the dead here, but did anyone ever pick up the Raro Tsukamoto set? The Raro thread in Euro-Cult got me thinking about it. I would pick up the region 1 Tartan disc but I recently read the image is actually pretty poor since it seems to be an NTSC to PAL back to NTSC conversion ( if thats the truth, that is awful haha.) How is the image quality on the Raro set?

I'm wondering about this as well. Has there been any rumors of a new release of these films? I reckon there is a market for a blu-ray or new dvd version since every current release seems to be OOP.

Mikko Koivisto
12-21-2010, 04:45 AM
I made a dvd comparison some time ago...
http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3226

Raro's picture isn't good, but it's got a wonderful 5.1 mix (when it comes to HK movies is hate remixes and want to kill everyone responsible for them cause those are piece of shit mixes with new sound effects and even replaced music). Original audio cleaned up and played with more punch than ever. Blows the Japanese releases out of the water. And I don't even have home theater.

I've never seen the UK or US dvds.

AdamAskov
12-21-2010, 05:29 AM
I found that thread with the help of google. Thanks! I think I will get the Japanese DVD's actually. I have seen these films a million times and I know all the dialogue anyway. So I guess it's worth it for the better picture. Plus I really want that lush Soundtrack box sony has out.