PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf and Cub Film?

Al Edwards
05-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Here's a link to a piece of news concerning the making of Lone Wolf and Cub film(http://aronofksy.tripod.com/newsarticle40.html) that is to be done by Aronofksy, director of Requiem for a Dream, who plans to set the story to modern times.

Al Edwards
05-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Didn't someone already do this. Its called Road to Perdition. I have a feeling it will probably be a waterdown and PCish film without the elements that made the manga series fascinating, intellegent, provocative, and entertaining to read.

John P
05-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by God of Death
Here's a link to a piece of news concerning the making of Lone Wolf and Cub film(http://aronofksy.tripod.com/newsarticle40.html) that is to be done by Aronofksy, director of Requiem for a Dream, who plans to set the story to modern times.

This should be cool! Have a rapper like Ice Cube play Lone Wolf, the guy who played Webster as a wisecracking Cub, Matrix-style bullet time effects put in in an urban setting with a brain-hurting, tooth rattling rap soundtrack and it CAN'T miss!!! Um....right?
Hollywood strikes again....
John

Al Edwards
06-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Reading about the director's previous failed attempts at getting a film version of a comic book made, I have a feeling that this won't be made. If made, I can picture it as a PG-13 type film without any of the adult type violence or style of the film. The manga series is a wonderful full and I feel I have a good understanding of the series and what it's all about.

Kevin R
06-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by John Duba
Have a rapper like Ice Cube play Lone Wolf, the guy who played Webster as a wisecracking Cub,
Mike Epps would play a way better Daigoro to Cube's Ogami Itto and I can't wait to peep the rims on that baby cart. Aronofsky is such a talented director that his LWAC has all the potential to be Ang-Lee's-Hulk-good.

bbfarmer
06-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Aronofsky is a talentless hack with nothing to say. Take Requiem for a Dream. There are a million ways a filmmaker could show drug addiction, but by far the easiest and least demanding is to shoot everything in fetishized closeup and edit it into a music video. Compare it to a real film about the same subject like Panic in Needle Park. There's more real emotion in the scene of the puppy diving off the ferry in that film than in all of Requiem. And you don't even see the puppy jump off. Jump cuts, macro closeups, and people twitching into wide-angle lenses just aren't that impressive, folks. It's just empty trickery, surface gloss hiding a lack of any real content. What takes REAL talent is to settle down with your characters and view things objectively, letting the story and the performances grab your emotions. Aronofsky apparently wouldn't know how to do this if his life depended on it.

Kevin R
06-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by bbfarmer
Aronofsky is a talentless hack with nothing to say.
Thank you.

ihatethebeatles
07-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by John Duba
This should be cool! Have a rapper like Ice Cube play Lone Wolf, the guy who played Webster as a wisecracking Cub, Matrix-style bullet time effects put in in an urban setting with a brain-hurting, tooth rattling rap soundtrack and it CAN'T miss!!! Um....right?
Hollywood strikes again....
John

I think they need to open up the new action star field a bit. This whole rapper turned action star is played out. A better direction to go would be casting Chris Burke as Lone Wolf. Can you imagine the training scenes and sword play that guy could do? It could start a whole new action genre.

Ian Jane
07-01-2003, 10:19 PM
I think they should just not remake them. They're wonderful as they are. But I'm getting old and cranky, so what do I know.

Ricky_Ho
07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jane
I think they should just not remake them. They're wonderful as they are. But I'm getting old and cranky, so what do I know.

Coming from the pov of a LW&C fan, even the premise alone is tired and has been done to death. No news there. I bet every single person on this board can name at least 10 films that has used this idea before. What would be the point of a remake?
As for Aronofsky, i'm still kinda suspect about him, i'll put him up there with Alex Proyas and all those other "dark" directors thats trying to tackle some comic book project....I remember seeing Pi for the first time and just seething in anger over how someone could just blatantly rip off something like Tetsuo the Iron Man, using Shinya's style to cover up an otherwise boring story. Just like somebody here pointed out before, he's just a hack who uses style and fancy gimmicks to drive home an otherwise pointless story.....
If he does get this made, I hope it crashes and burns....

Al Edwards
09-14-2003, 10:07 PM
I think if someone would take a crack at the LW&C manga and adapt it them into film, it should be done by a talented film director who has an understanding of the material, respects it, and has a feel for it. I also think instead of this, someone should do a film series on the cub, Daigoro instead, which would take place right after the events portrayed in the final story of Volume 28. I think a film series about the life and adventures of Daigoro would be a more interesting project to tackle than trying to do this.

Al Edwards
11-25-2006, 12:36 PM
The film will not be made because Paramount didn't get the rights.

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2006/11/director_darren_aronofsky_to_do_bible_epic_after_l oosing_paramount_picture.html

J.L. Carrozza
11-25-2006, 03:03 PM
That's good.

Al Edwards
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
http://www.cityonfire.com/justin-lin-to-possibly-direct-american-lone-wolf-and-cub-remake/

Steve R
04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Instead of choosing between a toy ball and a sword
now the kid will have to choose between an automatic and a stick shift.

Robert Wilkins
04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Why can't people just leave older films alone? Wakayama Tomisuburo did an incredible job playing Ogami Itto. Why would anyone want, or think, this series is in need of a re-imagining/relaunching/re-envisioning?

And, just for the record, Road To Redemption sucked diseased donkey balls.

Talal A.
04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Even Takeshi Kitano's "modern" take on another classic samurai series, Zatoichi, sucked big time, so this would've sucked too if it got made. We're better off like this.