PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Actor-Director

Al Edwards
05-21-2003, 04:55 AM
Who are some of the best actor-directors in your opinion? How about the worst?

Martin N
05-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Takeshi Kitano and Clint Eastwood have done some excellent work.

scott favareille
05-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Favorite: Clint Eastwood

Least favorite: Jerry Lewis

Al Edwards
01-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Favorites
Orson Welles
Takeshi Kitano
John Cassavetes
Charles Chaplin
Sammo Hung

Troy Howarth
01-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Are we talking in terms of directors who star in their own films, or actors who at least take decent size cameo roles in their own films (thus discounting Hitchcock altogether) ?

Off the top of my head, I think John Cassavetes, Roman Polanski and Orson Welles are/were brilliant actors *and* directors. Jess Franco is a pretty good actor, and needless to say I really like his films as a director. Fulci proved himself a decent actor in Cat in the Brain and others, but he was a better director. I tend to like Mel Gibson as an actor, but his directorial output doesn't do much for me. Olivier was a great actor, but I find many of his directorial ventures a trifle stagey. Kevin Costner is a bland actor and a rotten director - ditto Ron Howard and Penny Marshall. Clint Eastwood is a fine actor and in some respects and even finer director. Scorsese has given some good performances in his own films (notably his bit in Taxi Driver), but he's clearly a filmmaker first and foremost - and a King at that.

Jeff Nelson
01-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Johnny Depp

THE BRAVE???

Can't agree there...thought it was awful.

Worst

Kevin Costner (The Postman?????? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!) - he is not the worst but some years ago he sure was overated.

Now I gotta agree with you about THE POSTMAN, although I think calling Costner merely overrated is being far too diplomatic.

walter o
01-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Does anthony newley or Wayne crawford or david Heavener count?

Graham Smith
01-30-2005, 06:09 AM
I wonder if anyone here has seen Costner's Open Range? A wonderful film, strongly directed - his best by some margin.

Clint Eastwood is my choice for greatest star/director. Starting with the excellent Play Misty For Me he never looked back, given one or two terrible missteps (Every Which Way But Loose, The Rookie, for example).

And Troy, while I respect your opinion of course, Cat In The Brain is one of the worst things I have ever watched. Fulci's performance was even more horrid than his "direction" on that one. Each to their own, though.

Bill Pissott
01-30-2005, 09:05 AM
I likes Eastwood, Lewis, and Welles to name a few, with Eastwood being my favorite.

Mark Frazer
01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Buster Keaton. Amazing work both in front and behind the camera.

The worst has to be Ed Burns.