PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Thrills at K-Mart

Bob H
09-25-2002, 07:37 AM
While visiting my local K-Mart last night, I noticed a display of horror/suspense DVDs and VHS cassettes from Goodtimes Entertainment for $4.99 each. Among the DVDs were several films licensed from Universal: Psycho III, The Sentinel and The Funhouse. Also included were a few Public Domain releases like Carnival of Souls and the original Little Shop of Horrors, and a Munsters film (I think it was titled Munster, Go Home). Among the cassettes were the original The Blob and I Bury the Living, though the cassettes are all recorded at the middle, LP speed. I'm sure that this is a Halloween promtion, so don't expect these to last too long.

Mark R. Hill
09-28-2002, 01:07 AM
I have THE SENTINEL. It's full screen (not sure if the orig. is widescreen.)

I've seen the Bowery Boys GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE and it's a worthy print for $5.00.

As for MUNSTER GO HOME- I just bought a copy Tuesday from that same batch at K-Mart and I'm pretty disappointed.

I don't know how, but the print is OUT OF FOCUS!

The colors are crisp and bright. Don't know how to explain it. Like there's a haze over the image.

I noticed this from the title screen.

Anyone else notice this?

Mark

Mark R. Hill
09-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Mark R. Hill
As for MUNSTER GO HOME- I don't know how, but the print is OUT OF FOCUS! The colors are crisp and bright. It's a "video transfer". Don't know how to explain it. It's like there's a haze over the image. I noticed this from the title screen on. Anyone else notice the foggy image on MUNSTER GO HOME?

OK, I went back and re-viewed my MUNSTERS DVD.

I had noted that the *titles* were exceptionally bad.

For some reason the *RED* blooms severely onscreen and made the image look blurry. Anywhere there was RED, it was blurry.

I turned the color control on my TV down and it helped considerably.

No other DVD had previously looking this hazy on my TV and color settings prior to this. So I assume it was the DVD- maybe the red is too high on the DVD mastering????

So no one panic and I apologize for the premature negative comments on the Goodtimes disc.

For $5, it's OK.

Mark

Svenghouli
10-04-2002, 05:18 PM
They had one last year, too. I picked up EVIL DEAD II, HELLRAISER and THE WICKER MAN (standard) for $11.99 each (they also had the standard SUSPIRIA but I already had the 3-disc set). LOTS of $5 Goodtimes titles, too. I haven't seen MUNSTER GO HOME but THE MUNSTERS' REVENGE looks excellent.