PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lone Wolf and Cub:Volumes(8-14)

Al Edwards
04-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Same question as first poll on subject?

Al Edwards
04-22-2003, 10:38 AM
All.

Al Edwards
05-20-2003, 12:22 PM
The Infinite Path describes Itto's employment as the Shogun executioner, and goes deeper into the Resentment of the Yagyus, particularly Retsudo, than in Baby Cart in Peril. Also, unlike the film version, this includes a duel between Itto and Retsudo, that ends in the death of Itto's mentor. The problem I have with the film series are Itto and Retsudo never duel with each other. Also, the films feel rushed, even though I do enjoy them as entertainment. Its at this point that the feud between Ogami and Yagyu begin, and continue until the end of the series.

Al Edwards
05-27-2003, 04:47 PM
A major turning point in the series is when Ogami Itto steals the Yagyu letter near the end of volume 9, because this marks the end of the truce made between Itto and the Yagyu during his escape from Edo. It also marks the beginning of the first big battle in their feud where they finally meet head on. This is something that is missing in the film series, which would have made it a little more interesting. The Yagyu letter holds the secrets of their clan, and if exposed would mean the end of the prestigious clan. This gives the series an interesting turn and prepares the reader for the first of the head on battles that is one of the exciting action moments in the series.

Al Edwards
05-28-2003, 06:11 PM
One interesting difference between the films and the manga series is when Itto fights in the films, he fights alone with daigoro in his cart, but in the manga series, Itto fights in battles with Daigoro on his back. This is made significant because of the fact that although they are father and son, they fight as one. The Yagyu Letter is one of the exciting action stories in the series with some poignant moments thrown in. First Itto faces the Kurokuwa, who he takes care of in a flash, then with his son by his side faces archers and rifelman of two Hans, who Itto easily dispatches with his multiple fire rifel. It ends with Itto taking on a score of men with Daigoro on his back, with his sword, two spears, and wiping them out. Ends with the memorable line, "Life in DEATH...We LIVE...!!" as a defiant gesture to the enemy Yagyu.

Al Edwards
05-30-2003, 10:51 AM
The series takes an interesting turn when Itto and Daigoro are separated during the battle with the Yagyu. This gives the reader the chance to see Itto and Daigoro alone, focusing on their individual episodes, seeing how they affect people they meet.

Al Edwards
06-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Another turning point in the series happens in the story, Drifting Shadows, when Itto wounds Retsudo in the eye. It is more graphic in the manga story then in the film, Baby Cart in Peril.

Al Edwards
06-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Another terrific story in the LW&C series is in Volume 11, entitled Thirteen Strings with Itto acting as observer for peasants who are on the verge of disaster. A Kurosawa like tale which ends with the reunion of Itto and his son, Daigoro. Poignot tale about the lesson Itto teaches to a stubborn Daimyo lord.

Al Edwards
06-24-2003, 08:21 PM
The final tale in volume 14 is one of the saddest entitled Day of the Demons that deals with the Shogun's hunting down of Christians during the Edo Period. Daigoro befriends one and tries to bring her to another place for safety, but the tale ends in tragic circumstances.

Al Edwards
06-09-2005, 09:10 PM
The Frozen Crane in Vol 8 finishes off with one of many poetic monologues in the series by Ogami Itto. Thread of Tears deals with the widow of the samurai that Itto killed in "Close Quarters". There is a moment in the first story when Itto plays dead that anticipates a similar moment in the final story of the manga series(but which ends in something different in Vol 28). Retsudo's desire for his family to become the Shogun's executioner I feel is out of a wish for the Yagyu to become the Shogun leaders, that it would bring them closer to that dream, but time and time again, Itto lays waste to these plans.

Al Edwards
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Wife of the Heart is another tragic tale that ends with another beautifully said monologue by Itto. The Wandering Samurai is an interesting tale about a man trying to find the meaning behind the "way of the warrior". Echo of the Assassin and Naked Worms are well told stories and the prologue of the Yagyu Letters is a turning point because it leads to the first head on confrontation since the truce between Retsudo and Itto. The Retsudo of the magna at this point is shown to be more intimidating then in the six films.

John Winters
06-18-2005, 04:33 AM
I dig SHOGUN ASSASSIN, but guess that's a film all on it's own.

Al Edwards
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
I liked it when the manga series separated the father and son because their isolated episodes are interesting especially Straw Boy. Vol 10 includes rounds 2 and 3 in the confrontation between Itto and Retsudo. Well descriptive action imagery that is complimented in other stories with quieter moments.

Al Edwards
06-30-2005, 05:33 PM
The second story of vol 11 is a poignant tale where once again Daigoro teaches another life lesson.

Al Edwards
07-09-2005, 11:10 PM
The first and last story in vol 12 are powerful tales of revenge that takes place on a stage. Body Check is another memorable story with Itto getting caught in order to perform an assassination.

Al Edwards
07-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Volume 13 adds an interesting character in the illegitiment son of Retsudo, Shobei. A character who desires his father's love in order to become head of the Yagyu family. Yet Retusdo is portrayed to be cruel(partly because of the son's disfigured upper lip) and only asks him to kill Itto and get back the Yagyu letter. Retsudo's plan is shocking because he wants Shobei's sister to bear him a child(he even says he doesn't consider them his children). But when Shobei meets his fate while trying to impregnant his sister as a defiant gesture to his father, Retsudo shows that his behavior was nothing more than tough love. This is expressed by his remarks at the end of the forth story; "You poor troubled child...I thought the weight of the clan would be too MUCH for you. I wanted you left in PEACE. Such was this PARENT'S HEART! Yet, you...You poor FOOL...No matter how far away, I NEVER forgot you, not for a single DAY."(this results in Retsudo shedding a tear and helps slowly turn him into a tragic villain). The other stories are just as well written and presented.

Al Edwards
07-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Volume 14 begins with a potent story about a samurai's final days before his ritual suicide and the time he has with Daigoro who is hanging about. The third story has Itto find out a little more about the Yagyu letter and has to deal with Kurokawa grass as well. The final is one of the best and saddest in the series. A heartbreaking tale which has a moment when a young christan girl dies in Daigoro's arms.

Al Edwards
11-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Volume 8's first story has a great moment when Itto plays dead at the climax before he attacks Yagyu assassins he has been hired to kill. THE FROZEN CRANE and THREAD of Tears are good as well.

Al Edwards
11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Volume 9 I enjoyed reading very much. Liked the first story, WIFE OF THE HEART. The Prologue to the YAGYU LETTER marks the end of the first act of the manga series and the beginning of the second with the pact between Itto and the Yagyu clan broken.

Al Edwards
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
The escaped prisoner of the last story in Volume 10 is another of many tragic supporting characters in the manga series. Volume 10 is one of my favorites.

Al Edwards
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Reading volume 11 again reminded me of how much I liked the third story especially the reunion climax.

Al Edwards
12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Volume 12 is yet another excellent vol in the manga series with some of my favorite stories among the many I like from the long series.

Al Edwards
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I liked the SPOILING DAIGORO story of Volume 13. Shows how selfless Daigoro is and how strong his samurai spirit is at his young age.

Al Edwards
01-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Reading the DAY OF THE DEMON story from Volume 14 again and liked it even more than the first reading. My favorite story in the entire manga series.