PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lone Wolf and Cub:Volumes(1-7)

Al Edwards
04-20-2003, 07:32 AM
For any who has read the Dark Horse comics editions of the Lone Wolf and Cub Series, which is the favorite of the first set of seven volumes?

Al Edwards
04-22-2003, 10:37 AM
All.

Al Edwards
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
An interesting part of the early volumes in the series is that Retsudo does not have a big role until volume 7, and after. Also, at the point of the first 6 volumes he is a shadow that looms large over Ogami Itto and his son's movements(he only appears five times), and the early part of the series focuses on the assignments Itto takes as an assassin. One of my favorite characters from the early volumes in the series is the tatooed vengenceful former entertainer who is one of the series most captivating and tragic figures. The Black Wind episode is another excellent story and one that has elements of Kurosawa.

Al Edwards
05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
The introduction of the machine gun in the cart adds another intimidating force to the assassin skill of Ogami Itto, and the story of The Guns of Sakai is an interesting one on the evolution of the firearm, particularly the machine gun.

Al Edwards
05-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Ogami Itto is the Godzilla of samurais.

Al Edwards
05-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Another favorite from the first seven volumes is the epsiode entitled, Penal Code Article Seventy-Nine, which is the story on Daigoro and the pickpocket lady, that is one of the best stories in the series.

Al Edwards
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
There is an interesting line spoken by Itto in the second story of Vol 1 when he replies to a client-"Why not fell the trunk of the tree when it threatens your house? I can trim the branches as you wish, but they shall only grow again." especially when he mentions the "trunk of the tree" which hints at the tree trunk that Itto is determined to cut off completely, that is the Yagyu tree. This will become important during the late volumes in the series.

Kristian R
01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Brilliant series. I'm also enjoying the current run of Samurai Executioner. Any word on the Diagaro sequel coming out in English?

Al Edwards
01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Kristian R Any word on the Diagaro sequel coming out in English?[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was a graphic novel based on the character of Ogami Daigoro.

Kristian R
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I didn't know there was a graphic novel based on the character of Ogami Daigoro.

Yes, I read an interview with the one of the two creators (I forget his name, but the one who is not dead) and he is currently working on a series simply called "Lone Wolf" which follows Daigoro in his adult life.

I think I read it on-line. I will poke around and post a link if I can find it.

Al Edwards
01-29-2005, 08:29 PM
How many episodes have been written so far in the graphic novel series about Ogami Daigoro?

Al Edwards
03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I like how Itto begins as a mystery until the next to last story in Volume 1 before the flashback story. This one unlike the end of Sword of Vengeance ends with the prostitute going after Itto to ask him for a favor. She returns for a brief moment in the first story of Volume two entitled Red Cat. A prophetic moment is the dream of Ogami Itto during being sick in Pitiful Osue where he fights off demons of MEIFUMADO only to have his sword break off. It is a prophetic moment because it anticipates what will happen in the first story of the final volume in the series.

Al Edwards
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
One of my favorite openings is in Winter Flower with two people having sex until a spear is thrown from above impaling them(an image that coincidently resembles a similar moment in both Mario Bava's Bay of Blood and Friday the 13th Part 2).

Al Edwards
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
http://www.koikekazuo.jp/english/english.html

I can't find anything more about the Daigoro Manga series.

Kristian R
04-14-2005, 07:02 PM
But at least you were able to verify that it is starting to come out. I still can't find that interview where I first read about it...

Al Edwards
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
The way the backstory of Itto's wife's murder and frameup is portrayed in White Path Between the Rivers has some interesting differences from Sword of Vengeance including the discovery of the freshly torn from his mother's womb Daigoro. One of my favorite moments in Volume 3 is the poetic monologue Itto gives to the female Yakuza boss. The Female Yakuza boss would play an important and tragic role in a later episode of the manga series when Itto and his son are wanted criminals.

Kristian R
04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I did not care for the change in Daigoro's birth in the movie, but overall it was pretty harmless.

Al Edwards
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Volume 4 is another great one with Bell Warden, Unfaithful Retainers, Parting Frost, and The Performer. Unfaithful Retainers is an interesting episode because it deals with the origins of the Yakuza as a backdrop while the main story is happening. The third story shows Daigoro's resourcefulness and that even as a young boy, he processes a quality that makes him stand out. The final story is the first of a few vengeance seeking women, with O-Yuki as the tragic heroine who is not very different from Itto and whose desire for retribution is very identical. Itto makes this point during a monologue(her desire for vengeance reflects Itto's against the Yagyu clan).

Al Edwards
05-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Vol 5 has a wonderful Kurosawa like tale in the shape of Black Wind. The tale that opens the volume, gives more hint of something from Itto's past. Where he ends up facing a Yagyu heir thought to be dead. One thing I wish the film series had included was the Guns of Sakai tale. The story with the two decapitators facing off is another memorable one with the Yagyu having an indirect hand in the death. The one scene where Itto mows down an group of samurai is a mesmerizing image. The last story is an interesting one about weaponery and a hint at the future of weaponery.

Al Edwards
05-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Vol 6 has sad and melancholic moments as presented in Hunger Town with the death of Daigoro's dog and in the final story, One Stone Bridge. The Soldier is the Castle has a memorable action packed climax. The final story is an another example where Itto's inner strength is impressive.

Al Edwards
06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Retsudo in the first story of vol 7 unlike in the film versions(4) is someone who works behind the scenes, a person who puts up the appearance of someone who believes in bushido but has others do his dirty work for him. The Inn of the Last Chrysanthemum is a beautifully told tragic revenge story very similar to The Performer. The last story is very poignant and is telling of the larger than life samurai spirit of little Daigoro.

Kristian R
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
From an AintItCool interview with Dark Horse's Philip Simon:

SG:
Akira, Astro Boy and Lone Wolf and Cub felt like big, spectacular projects. Getting Lone Wolf and Cub monthly was amazing. Is there anything of that magnitude in the pipeline?

PS:
In the past several years, Mike Richardson has built a very strong relationship with the legendary Kazuo Koike (creator of Lone Wolf and Cub) ... so ... while I don't have a big scoop for your right now, I can say that we are delighted to be drumming up several exciting projects with Mr. Koike!

Al Edwards
07-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Starting again on the series, which its been two or three years since I last read it(and that was the second time I read the whole series at that point). Inspired to do so after starting on the 1970s television series.

Al Edwards
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I think volume 1 is a good introductory to the main characters and the way Itto is build up with some mystery until the next to last story when it is revealed who he was. The episode, EIGHT GATES OF DECEIT is one of my favorites especially with the opening.

Al Edwards
07-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Volume 2 is excellant as well and the death of the Buddhist priest in GATELESS BARRIER is quite memorable. Much better than in Baby Cart in the Land of Demons.

Al Edwards
08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Still holding up as an excellent read as the first time I read the manga series.

Al Edwards
08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Volume 3 is another enjoyable set of stories with my favorite being VIRGIN AND THE WHORE. The second story in the third volume, HALF MAT, ONE MAT, A FISTFUL OF RICE is also good with a tragic ronin character.

Al Edwards
08-30-2008, 05:23 AM
The last story in volume 4, THE PERFORMER has one of my favorite characters in the manga series with the topless, avenging O-Yuki. I think if the story were made into a full feature film today, I can picture someone like Eiko Koike or Eriko Sato visually as the character, Yuki.

Al Edwards
09-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Volume 5 is another good one. BLACK WIND is one of my overall favorites from the series. Decapitator Asaemon is like Itto's double, at least that's what I find about the character in the fourth story of this volume. THE GUNS of SAKAI is entertaining and shows Itto becoming a more fearsome assassin with the addition of the repeating rifle to the baby cart.

Al Edwards
10-15-2008, 03:22 AM
In Volume 6, during the last story, you get the feel of the determination to save his father by Daigoro's actions. As with the previous 5, this volume has some memorable imagery.

Frank R
10-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I just started reading this series only last month.I'm on volume 9 now and can say this is turning out to be one of my favorite stories in any medium.

Nick McBride
10-24-2008, 04:03 AM
The only one I really like is volume 1, which I think is awesome. The others are too over the top and lack tension.

Edit: I'm talking about the movies.

Al Edwards
10-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Daigoro is one of my favorite characters from the manga series after reading the last story of Volume 7.