PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Dead Kennedys Song?

mark t
03-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Anyone else a fan of the Dead Kennedys? One of the classic punk rock bands in my opinion, and they had some great songs. I just started listening to these guys again after not playing them for awhile, and they still stand up pretty well, even though some of their stuff is dated.

Comments?

Ian Jane
03-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Did you see the review on the main page today?

Anyway, my favorite is probably Kill The Poor.

mark t
03-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jane
Did you see the review on the main page today?

Anyway, my favorite is probably Kill The Poor.

Good tune for sure. I realized that i didn't put down my favourite Dead Kennedys song, sooooo....it would probably be a toss-up between Police Truck and Insight.

John G.
03-26-2003, 05:44 PM
DK are actually one of the few punk bands that I can stomach... I especially like "Let's Lynch the Landlord." So damn catchy...

mark t
03-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by smashism
The first LP and the "In God We Trust Inc." e.p. are ESSENTIAL records. "Plastic Surgery Disasters" is also a brilliant record. I thought "Frankenchrist" and "Bedtime for Democracy" were a little lackluster, and "Give Me convenience or Give Me Death" being a singles and oddities compilation is hit or miss.

I agree that Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables and In God We Trust Inc. are their best albums, but i'm going to have to disagree on Plastic surgery disasters...that album does nothing for me, while i would consider Frankenchrist to be one of their best.

Denise*G
03-26-2003, 06:49 PM
I could go on and on... but I'll just pick three. Riot. Nazi Punks - Fuck Off! & The Man With The Dogs.

Denise*G
03-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Maybe you and I are just destined to disagree about everything. :)

I bought "Frankenchrist" when it came out and it was a giant let-down way back then. Every few years I'll still pull it out and I just can't get into it. I thought "Bedtime..." was a slightly better effort. Of all the songs on "Frankenchrist" , I think I really only love "MTV Get Off the Air".

"Plastic Surgery Disasters" on the other hand has some moments of truly inspired brilliance with the band pushing the boundaries of "punk". There are moments recalling the psychedelic greatness of the 60's garage bands. And let's not forget about the tunes: "Bleed For Me", "Riot", "Buzzbomb", and "Trust Your Mechanic" are some of my all-time-fave DK tracks.

"Frankenchrist" is an OK album (the DK's didn't really put out a BAD album), but it sounds to me like a band that was worn out from touring trying to cough up some quick material for a new LP. By the time they got to "Bedtime..." it was just rants over hardcore riffs rather than the crafty songwriting of their early efforts.

wow, I totally agree with all of that! I was really let down with "Frankenchrist" (loved that H.R.Giger poster that came with it, though) I don't think they ever really recovered... although "Bedtime For Democracy" was pretty good.

Ian Jane
03-26-2003, 06:55 PM
I loved Frankenchrist and consider Bedtime their weakest effort. Though as has been said, they didn't really put out a bad album at all.

Betsy Young
03-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Too Drunk To Fuck ;)

Denise*G
03-26-2003, 07:01 PM
I bought the Dead Kennedys: DMPO's On Broadway DVD, but since the quality was like a 3rd generation VHS dup, I just dupped it myself and sold it. I used to have a great FLIPSIDE video with them and GBH on it, but it's been almost two decades since I had it. I wonder if the Dead Kennedys: The Early Years Live DVD is any better (although it's only 30min.)

didn't they release a "professional A/V" video tape around '86-'87?

Daisy Gard
03-26-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty partial to California Uber Alles followed by Holiday in Cambodia and Jock-o-Rama. But really I like most DK stuff and Lard too.

Gary Banks
03-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Too Drunk To Fuck.

Been there.Made me cry.:D

Ian Jane
03-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by trollech
I wonder if the Dead Kennedys: The Early Years Live DVD is any better (although it's only 30min.)

It's short and the AV quality is that of a good VHS tape. The review on the site has some screenshots in it that more or less give you an idea...

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dead_kennedys.html

Lee G
03-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Riot
When Ya get drafted
Government Flu
Holiday In Cambodia

I'm another fan of the earlier albums.I didn't like Frankenchrist when it came out but I like a couple of tracks now.Bedtime... I used to like but don't so much anymore.
I had that DKs live at the last night of the Mab tape that came out in the late 80s,that was a good video!
They came over to England with MDC when I was about 14,to my eternal regret I went to see Vice Squad instead, thinking I'd catch the Kennedys again.They never came back.Boo hoo! :(

Aleck Bennett
03-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Bleed For Me!

Their performance of that tune in Urgh! A Music War (where's THAT on DVD?) is one of that flick's highlights.

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables and Plastic Surgery Disasters are my two faves, followed by Frankenchrist, In God We Trust, Inc., Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death and Bedtime For Democracy in that order. I'm surprised that In God is as well-regarded as it is -- other than "We've Got a Bigger Problem Now" and "Rawhide," it's too musically generic for me. The DKs were always pushing the boundaries of punk, and the tunes on this EP are too formulaic hardcore, IMO. The lyrics are -- as always -- great and spot-on, but it just don't click with me musically. But that's just me.

Ian Jane
03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Aleck Bennett
Their performance of that tune in Urgh! A Music War (where's THAT on DVD?) is one of that flick's highlights.

Sadly, held up by rights. The Cramps footage on that was killer.

mark t
03-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Maybe you and I are just destined to disagree about everything. :)

haha...you're probably right. I read your post a few times, and it makes alot of sense. The first album that i ever heard by them was the Give Me Convenience collection...then i bought In God We Trust Inc., and was totally blown away. I found when i first listened to Frankenchrist, i was totally confused...it had a completely different feel to it, and i wasn't altogether happy about that. But now, i think about songs like Jock-O-Rama, Goons of Hazzard, MTV Get Off The Air, and especially Stars and Stripes of Corruption, and i have to say it's one of my favourite albums.

You're right on the mark with your bedtime for democracy comment...there are some decent songs on there that i really like, but for the most part, it's just "Hey, here's this crazy fast guitar riff...have you got any political commentary to go over top of it?"

mark t
03-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Sadly, held up by rights. The Cramps footage on that was killer.

Well, come on pretty mama, let's tear those damn rights down....one of the best cramps songs i've ever heard, and that Music War performance rules the planet.

mark t
03-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Speaking of DK, has anyone picked up those remastered discs that the band (minus Jello) put out? I heard Frankenchrist remastered in a record store, but couldn't really hear a difference. I'd be interested in knowing if others have heard them, and what you think?

Clint C
03-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Nazi Punks Fuck Off

Denise*G
03-26-2003, 09:54 PM
It's short and the AV quality is that of a good VHS tape. The review on the site has some screenshots in it that more or less give you an idea...

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dead_kennedys.html

wow, thanks Ian, I had no idea that was reviewed here... doh!

Denise*G
03-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Lee Grime
to my eternal regret I went to see Vice Squad instead, thinking I'd catch the Kennedys again.They never came back.Boo hoo! :(

I never got to see Vice Squad (http://www.deadkennedys.com/graphics/picts/misctour_01_02/3135_beckybondage.jpg), but I've seen DK about 10 times!

when I was a kid I always wished I lived in the UK just for the gigs.

Travis Sheldon
03-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Nazi Punks Fuck Off, Holiday In Cambodia, Police Truck, and I Fought The Law are a few of my DK Faves.
BTW, anyone in the Nashville, TN. area should know that Jello will be speaking here in May, I believe.
The Alternative Records website has no mention of this, but I recall reading hearing about it form some friends in the scene. Personally, I feel the same as Jello on some issues and appreciate his conviction.

Edwin Samuelson
03-26-2003, 10:28 PM
My fav songs are "Let's Lynch the Landlord"," Night of the Living Rednecks", and "Too Drunk to Fuck"!

Andrew Green
03-26-2003, 10:41 PM
I'd have to say my 3 favourites are all on Plastic Surgery Disasters..."Halloween", "I Am The Owl", and "Moon Over Marin".

mark t
03-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Well, i think that because of all the positive comments on Plastic Surgery Disasters, i may have to dig this disc out again. I remember not being too big of a fan hearing it all those years ago, but my musical tastes have changed somewhat.

Aleck Bennett
03-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by mark tolch
Speaking of DK, has anyone picked up those remastered discs that the band (minus Jello) put out? I heard Frankenchrist remastered in a record store, but couldn't really hear a difference. I'd be interested in knowing if others have heard them, and what you think?

I've looked at them, but that's about all I'd do. The AT releases sounded fine (especially Frankenchrist, which I think is their best-produced album), and I don't want a penny of my money going to the remaining DKs (they're not even paying Jello royalties on the sales, even though he wrote the lyrics for practically every song they put out -- there's 8 DKs songs, I believe, he didn't write the lyrics for). I'm perfectly happy with what I already have. Which pains me because I really want to get the DVDs that are out. I guess I could pick 'em up used somewhere.

Amazing how much trouble a Gap commercial can get you into, huh?

Chad Haden
03-27-2003, 01:39 AM
Senior year of high school I wore my Dead Kennedys "Holiday In Cambodia" t-shirt so often that one of my girlfriends eventually grabbed the frayed collar and literally tore the shirt off of me. My favorite songs have to be the aforementioned "Holiday", "California Uber Alles" and "Too Drunk To Fuck" among many many others.

Chuk H
03-27-2003, 01:55 AM
"Let's Lynch the Landlord"

I can really relate to that one.

Sabata
03-27-2003, 05:51 AM
Holiday in Ira... ooops... in Cambodia

Travis Sheldon
03-27-2003, 06:19 AM
I've looked at them, but that's about all I'd do. The AT releases sounded fine (especially Frankenchrist, which I think is their best-produced album), and I don't want a penny of my money going to the remaining DKs (they're not even paying Jello royalties on the sales, even though he wrote the lyrics for practically every song they put out -- there's 8 DKs songs, I believe, he didn't write the lyrics for). I'm perfectly happy with what I already have. Which pains me because I really want to get the DVDs that are out. I guess I could pick 'em up used somewhere.

Amazing how much trouble a Gap commercial can get you into, huh?

If they are on Alternative Tentacles then Jello get the cash. The albums Jello gets no money for is the Decay label versions.
Jello owns AT, so support him that way.

Lee G
03-27-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by trollech
I never got to see Vice Squad (http://www.deadkennedys.com/graphics/picts/misctour_01_02/3135_beckybondage.jpg), but I've seen DK about 10 times!

when I was a kid I always wished I lived in the UK just for the gigs.

Well there was plenty of good groups in the UK at the time but I used to see flyers for American gigs in zines and I used to get SO jealous!

Lee G
03-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Quote:

The Dead Kennedys were the band that got me into Punk Rock, so I've always been a pretty rabid fan. I've got tons of bootleg video footage of them. I don't know if a lot of people here know this, but it would be of interest to people in this forum that Mike Vraney of Something Weird was their manager in the early days. I bet he's got some interesting stuff in his video vaults.

I didn't know that about Mike Vraney! I often wondered about him because he got a namecheck on the first 7 Seconds album.

mark t
03-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Travis Sheldon
If they are on Alternative Tentacles then Jello get the cash. The albums Jello gets no money for is the Decay label versions.
Jello owns AT, so support him that way.

The remasters came out on completely different labels (I would have to go back and check the article that i read a few weeks ago), and Jello isn't getting anything from them...because he doesn't want anything. He fought like hell to stop the remasters from coming out, and when that didn't work, completely disassociated himself with them, refusing profits or anything.

It's really a shame that the democratic "majority rule" process that they had in DK came back to bite him in the ass...the three other members decided to put out the remasters, and he was outvoted. They wanted to tour, and he was outvoted.

I for one would like to hear how they sound, but i'm not willing to fork cash over to the other three...I have zero respect for those guys.

I would rather pay money to see Jello perform Dead Kennedys songs with another band, then see the three remaining members play the songs with a different singer.

When i saw Bad Religion play last year, Greg Graffin (singer) warned everybody about the show, saying "They're the world's most expensive karaoke show". That pretty much sums it up.

Aleck Bennett
03-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by mark tolch
The remasters came out on completely different labels (I would have to go back and check the article that i read a few weeks ago), and Jello isn't getting anything from them...because he doesn't want anything. He fought like hell to stop the remasters from coming out, and when that didn't work, completely disassociated himself with them, refusing profits or anything.

Actually, the DKs have blocked Jello from receiving any royalties because they claim that he still owes them something like $150K in court costs and damages. He refuses to pay them because he's appealing their case, and they're refusing to pay him royalties. He's (as of Feb. of last year) filed a lawsuit against them for using the name, his likeness, his voice and photographs in promoting their tour, and also for payment of royalties (according to alternativetentacles.com, the suit was filed to protect the statute of limitation).

mark t
03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Actually, the DKs have blocked Jello from receiving any royalties because they claim that he still owes them something like $150K in court costs and damages. He refuses to pay them because he's appealing their case, and they're refusing to pay him royalties. He's (as of Feb. of last year) filed a lawsuit against them for using the name, his likeness, his voice and photographs in promoting their tour, and also for payment of royalties (according to alternativetentacles.com, the suit was filed to protect the statute of limitation).

I did read all that in a solid interview a canadian magazine had with Jello, and the remaining DK's, but in Jello's section, he mentioned that he was refusing all royalties from the remasters which he regards as "inferior product"

mark t
03-28-2003, 07:46 PM
"Frankenchrist" is an OK album (the DK's didn't really put out a BAD album), but it sounds to me like a band that was worn out from touring trying to cough up some quick material for a new LP. By the time they got to "Bedtime..." it was just rants over hardcore riffs rather than the crafty songwriting of their early efforts.

well, in my efforts to revisit some of the albums that i haven't heard in awhile, i've managed to get a couple down the hatch.

First off:

Mutiny on the Bay: One of the remastered discs that the 3 other members of DK put out....a live album, featureing some of their more well-known songs. The first 7 tracks play like a live Give me Convenience album (with the exception of Moon over Marin)....Police Truck, Kill The Poor (wait a minute, that wasn't on Give Me Convenience either), California Uber Alles, Holiday In Cambodia, Too Drunk to fuck, and then sorta segues into Plastic Surgery Disasters and Frankenchrist. Alot of good live material, the best that you're going to hear, anyway, but the musicianship is nothing to write home about. In my support of Jello, i downloaded this album, rather than pay for it.

Frankenchrist: A genuinely good album, the puts out an atmosphere...I almost regard this as a post-apocalyptic punk concept album. Soup is good food is a great song, as is A Growing Boy Needs His Lunch. The second side is a little more accessible, and features some good solid punk rock. The highlight, IMO, is Stars And Stripes of Corruption, which clocks in at almost 7 minutes, but showcases the musicianship of DK, and has a great message, timeless in fact.

Bedtime for Democracy: Yes, Smashism, this features alot of songs that sound like they were written the night before, but holy shit, how can you talk down to Chickenshit Conformist? This is probably one of my favourite DK songs of all time, and definitely addresses the NY hardcore scene, as all kinds of nazi bands (under the guise of being hardcore) took to the stage, and violence ensued. A good followup to this song is Where Do Ya Draw The Line, which is still a well done song.

I'll hit plastic surgery disasters tomorrow, to give it another listen.

mark t
02-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, i think that because of all the positive comments on Plastic Surgery Disasters, i may have to dig this disc out again. I remember not being too big of a fan hearing it all those years ago, but my musical tastes have changed somewhat.

And almost 3 years later, I reconsider my position on Plastic Surgery Disasters. I'll hang onto my original opinion that Frankenchrist solidified the band in my eyes as a "mature" HC band, but PSD has moved up to my second or third favourite album by them. This and Fresh Fruit are in a constant battle for top spot.

Though I'm not really a fan of Trust Your Mechanic or Well-Paid Scientist, Terminal Preppie is pure gold, and the notion of feeding doritos to the bears cracks me up. I also think that Riot, Bleed For Me, and I Am the Owl is about the best 3 song run of any album.

So, Smashism, it seems that we don't disagree on everything after all. :)

Josh S
02-07-2006, 03:46 PM
I really need to pick up a DK album, but the only two I've come across are Plastic Surgery Disasters and Bedtime For Democracy. I'd been looking for Fresh Fruit, since that's what I was being told was their best by most people. I may end up getting PSD, though, just to get an album.

By the way, if "Police Truck" from the THPS game is by them then that's my favorite.

Martin N
02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Holiday in Cambodia and Police Truck are faves but I also like Winnebago Warrior because of the SW style howls and guitar work coming to the forefront.

Cheers

Martin

William R.
02-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, this thread get's revived the day I stumble across some live bootlegs. Spooky.

Favorite song: Bleed For Me. (live video here (http://www.youtube.com/w/Dead-Kennedys---Bleed-For-Me-(Live)?v=M2LH_xbS328))
Favorite album: Fresh Fruit.

Tim Mayer
02-07-2006, 04:42 PM
FRESH FRUIT was a great when it first came out. I used to have the "Live at the Deaf Club" album that had a killer set by the DK's. I lost interest in them after the first album and it doesn't suprise me that Jello is on the outs with his former band. Jesus H F**king Christ you could put out a "Collected Interviews" with that man that would fill vols. I never could figure out why so many people gave him the space to rant; guess they just like hearing someone who agrees with them.

KH Brown
02-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Holiday in Cambodia

mark t
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Holiday in Cambodia and Police Truck are faves but I also like Winnebago Warrior because of the SW style houls and guitar work coming to the forefront.

Cheers

Martin

That's for sure a standout moment in the album.

Josh, PSD is kinda the way to go if it's a first album buy, because it's got In God We Trust Inc. on it, so you get a whole lotta DK love for a decent price.

Will, which bootlegs did you find?

William R.
02-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Will, which bootlegs did you find?

Two old ones buried in a box. :)

One is called NEVER BEEN ON MTV and is just the audio boot of the old LIVE vhs that is now the DMPO's On Broadway DVD. The other is a bootleg of a rare official limited edition that came out on Starving Missile records and was taped somewhere in München in 1982 called A SKATEBOARD PARTY. It's a good one.

I also found this in the same box:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3457/dkcoldfish3im.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1998/dkcoldgrn72es.jpg

mark t
02-08-2006, 09:37 AM
One is called NEVER BEEN ON MTV and is just the audio boot of the old LIVE vhs that is now the DMPO's On Broadway DVD. The other is a bootleg of a rare official limited edition that came out on Starving Missile records and was taped somewhere in München in 1982 called A SKATEBOARD PARTY. It's a good one.

I also found this in the same box:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3457/dkcoldfish3im.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1998/dkcoldgrn72es.jpg

Weird. What is that?

I had Skateboard Party on a bootleg cassette, but remember the quality being terrible. Or maybe i'm thinking of the Jello's Revenge bootleg....I can't remember.

Side note, i wish that bootleggers would just call the shit what it fuckin' is....Dead Kennedys, Live at the On Broadway 1984, or something similar. Nothing worse than searching for bootlegs, and ending up with a whole bunch of similar ones because a bunch of jackasses call it a bunch of different things. Bad Religion Live Holland 1991 is more explanatory and a much better name than Nevermind The Cat. What the fuck is that?

[/RANT]

Chris Bickel
02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Cold Fish is a boot of 1/2 of the DK's first demo tape

Matt A
02-08-2006, 03:18 PM
"Viva Las Vegas", but only when it's played during American Idol.

Damian P
02-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Tie: "Soup Is Good Food" and "Too Drunk To Fuck."

"...You'll just have to kill yourself somewhere else. A Tourist might see you and we wouldn't want that..."

mark t
02-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Cold Fish is a boot of 1/2 of the DK's first demo tape

Only 1/2 of it? That's not very useful.

William R.
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Put it's YELLOW VINYL DOOOD!

Justin Frank
02-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Favorite songs? Man, there's just too many - Kill The Poor, Halloween, Police Truck...

Plastic Surgery Disasters is my favorite album, followed closely by Fresh Fruit. I'm tempted to put Give Me Convenience in the third spot, but since it's a comp, I'll give it to In God We Trust Inc. I never could get into Frankenchrist very well, but it's been a long time, I'm ready to give it another try. Bedtime For Democracy is a shame.

This has me salivating - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1978_Demos - does anyone have this?

Dan P.
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Stealing Peoples Mail........I love that song. I can sing it for hours on end.

mark t
02-29-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been listening to Fresh Fruit pretty much non-stop for the past couple of days. Great album, and Stealing People's Mail is such a good tune. I also like the more odd stuff that Ted was responsible for, like Ill in the Head. I think that the Frankenchrist album was the dK's maturing, and an extension of that kind of weird tuning and such.

Mike Howlett
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I love the FRESH FRUIT album, but the 7" version of "Holiday In Cambodia" could be their best recording ever!

Kieran M
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Easily one of my favourite bands of all time.
My favourite song, without question, is PULL MY STRINGS. I just love that damn song! (and the whole story behind it, as documented in the "GIVE ME CONVENIENCE..." linernotes) just adds to the song's brilliance, IMO.

Runner-ups are
RIOT
and
STARS AND STRIPES OF CORRUPTION.

I just loved loved LOVED this band when I was in high-school. I still check-out pretty much anything Jello has a hand-in.

mark t
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I love the longer stuff, like Stars And Stripes, I found it a little odd that East Bay Ray thought that it was too long winded.

David Huber
02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I think the Frankenchrist album is underrated. Some of the 2nd side is too jokey, but the first few songs plus Stars and Stripes of Corruption are awesome.

John G.
02-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd say that FRESH FRUIT is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time... and I don't think they ever made a bad album.

Chris S
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
"Terminal Preppie"

Adam A
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VP1NyV60WzA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VP1NyV60WzA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Let's Lynch the Landlord

George P
02-29-2008, 04:45 PM
When ya get drafted? Kill the Poor? Holiday in Cambodia? Viva Las Vegas? I can't decide which song but I am sure it's on Fresh Fruit. That album is a classic. I like songs from the other albums but this is the one where it all came together. And for an album which is so topical, it ages well.

g.

Chuk H
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
"FRESH FRUIT.." is definitely their best album but "PLASTIC SURGERY DISASTERS" is awful good too.

After those two, they lost me. Too preachy. A little Jello goes a long way.