PDA

View Full Version : Selling on amazon...

John K
11-18-2010, 01:31 AM
So a while ago I tried to set up a seller's account at amazon, and basically got through the entire process. Then, around the last click (I don't precisely remember what the button was, it's been a while), it ended up taking me to what essentially looked like an error page, which said the credit card I had entered had not passed some verification of theirs or other, and that they could not elaborate the specifics but basically I could not have an account. Basically, it was a very basically formatted error-code style page that essentially told me "Fuck off. And we're not going to tell you why." No way to appeal, no nothing - not even a link back to the website homepage or anything. I found it staggeringly unprofessional for a group that's supposed to be a legitimate company.

Anyway, anyone have any idea what's up with this? I have absolutely perfect credit, and can't think of absolutely *anything* that would lead me to not pass whatever verification process they have. Is it worth trying to contact them? I basically held off initially because I was so pissed off, and then got really busy over the last month or so, so I'm just now thinking of it again as stuff is beginning to pile up around the house. Ebay's myriad stupid regulations are starting to get frustrating, and I'd love to list on amazon, but after the incredible unprofessionalism I've experienced with this so far, I don't hold out the highest of hopes... Anyone else run into this?

PS--If this is more of an "Off-topic" forum post, please move it there and accept my apologies. I hesitated over it a while, but since it's about selling movies, which is something many of us do, I finally decided to post it here...

Matt Bauer
11-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Hmmm, this is weird. The only thing they need a credit card for is to cover if someone wants a refund and you don't have enough funds in your Amazon payments account to cover it. I've been selling for a year and a half on there and this has never happened (no one's ever claimed something got lost and I've sold over 100 items), so it's obviously nothing more than a preventative measure. As long as it's a valid credit card/debit card, there shouldn't be any issue. Credit has nothing to do with it (mine sucks, I should know ;))

Signing up with them was very simple from what I remember. I guess it's obvious as hell to say, but are you sure all of the info was typed in right? I'd say try again and if it happens again contact someone. Looking through my seller account it doesn't appear as if they give a support email, it's all web-based, so I can't provide one for you to use. There's gotta be some general one on there buried somewhere.

And one small bit of advice if you do set up an account: make sure to write on your packing slips that you're a new seller and you'd appreciate feedback. I did this for the first few months, and people seemed to respond well. Once I had a decent amount, I stopped doing it and I don't think I've gotten 5 more since. I should start doing it again as the feedback is looking pretty old at this point :(

Wayne Schmidt
11-18-2010, 02:36 AM
I'd say contact them. My experience, unlike Ebay, is that they actually give a shit and should elaborate on what the problem was and help you out. Most likely it's just a technical glitch.

Werner Von Wallenrod
11-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Stupid question, but are you sure you just didn't enter a typo in your CC number or something?

John K
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Stupid question, but are you sure you just didn't enter a typo in your CC number or something?

Nah, I double-checked multiple times. But no question is too simple when troubleshooting, so good catch!

It's good to know it's been pretty simple for everyone else. Maybe there's just some glitch in how everything lines up, i.e. I entered my address slightly differently or something. I'll give it one more try and if I still have the problem, I'll give them a call. Good to know their customer service is decent.

Thanks for the support, guys!

AnthonyT
11-19-2010, 03:08 AM
I would give a call to Amazon. While they dont post their phone number, its easily found through a simple google search. The other thing is that you need to set up a bank account, not a CC number. When I first set it up (a long time ago) they send back and forth a penny to make sure there is communication and its correct. I am sure a template page is set up because off-hand the computer does not know the cause of the error. Amazon is pretty easy to deal with although they are not a perfect system either.