PDA

View Full Version : Different music clearance standards for MOD?

Marshall Crist
11-16-2010, 05:37 AM
There was some speculation when DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE came out on DVD-R from Warner Archive that music rights issues had been holding up a standard DVD release, and that perhaps MOD allowed for some loophole more favorable to video companies previously hamstrung by archaic or ill-conceived contracts dating back to before the home video era. As also mentioned recently, it may even be possible that online streaming (such as Netflix offers) could also provide some relief to pieces of media currently held hostage by exorbitant music licensing demands.

The intended purpose of this thread is twofold. First, I'd like to encourage our resident legal eagles to step forward to bolster or debunk these theories. Secondly, I'd like to invite everyone to discuss their favorite music rights casualties.

Some that come to mind immediately are UNHOLY ROLLERS, SCTV and the now-stalled SNL season sets. But numero uno for me, without hesitation, is WKRP. If the current owners would put out an uncut MOD set, they could pretty much name their price with me.

Ian Miller
11-16-2010, 05:56 AM
I think the WKRP deal is the worst, that music was such a part of the show and the little bit I saw (premiere episode) re-scored ruined one of the funniest gags, FWIW. Makes me glad SCTV was able to retain RIDE LIKE THE WIND for the Michael McDonald sketch.

From my limited (but existent nonetheless) experience with music licensing, the loophole based on a one-at-a-time pressing makes sense.

Mike DiRoma
11-16-2010, 08:58 AM
There was some speculation when DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE came out on DVD-R from Warner Archive that music rights issues had been holding up a standard DVD release, and that perhaps MOD allowed for some loophole more favorable to video companies previously hamstrung by archaic or ill-conceived contracts dating back to before the home video era. As also mentioned recently, it may even be possible that online streaming (such as Netflix offers) could also provide some relief to pieces of media currently held hostage by exorbitant music licensing demands.

The intended purpose of this thread is twofold. First, I'd like to encourage our resident legal eagles to step forward to bolster or debunk these theories. Secondly, I'd like to invite everyone to discuss their favorite music rights casualties.

Some that come to mind immediately are UNHOLY ROLLERS, SCTV and the now-stalled SNL season sets. But numero uno for me, without hesitation, is WKRP. If the current owners would put out an uncut MOD set, they could pretty much name their price with me.

Ditto for me RE: WKRP. Forgot how much fun that show was. And I refuse to watch the re-scored video of UNHOLY ROLLERS.

mark t
11-16-2010, 08:58 AM
The CHRIS ISAAK SHOW is held up in rights hell for sure. Every week, Isaak would have a different musical guest on, and would usually perform a song by that artist, and then that artist would perform an Isaak tune with Chris. These weren't artists you'd never heard of, he had Joe Walsh, Green Day, Brett Michaels, etc on there. I've understood that we won't see the CI show on DVD anytime soon for that reason.

And it can't be done without the music. That would be ridiculous.

Derek Steckler
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Urgh! A Music War seems to be an example of this - dvd release held up because of the music rights to 20 groups or so... then it quietly slipped out on Warner Archive.

Terry Carpenter
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Didn't they cut a few performances out?

Jonathan H.
11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Didn't they cut a few performances out?

1 performance was cut, but, IIRC, others, not in the original theatrical cut, were re-inserted.

Jonathan H.
11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Another Floyd Mutrux title tops my list: AMERICAN HOT WAX.

I'd like to see THE WILD LIFE get a release with all of its theatrical soundtrack intact.

Also, it would have been nice to have NIGHTHAWKS (1981) be released 16x9 WITH original soundtrack intact on the same disc. As it stands, the OOP Goodtimes disc was full-frame, but retained the original soundtrack (likely a mistake). The subsequent widescreen Universal disc contains the "rescored" soundtrack.

Steve R
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Interesting topic.

The Strawberry Statement which was held up in music rights limbo for
years has never come out on DVD yet TCM ran it late one night.

Others in limbo I'd like to see.

Dealing, or The Berkley to Boston Lost 40 Brick Bag Blues
Medicine Ball Caravan
In Concert TV series (that was the best of 'em)
Midnight Special

Jonathan H.
11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Interesting topic.

The Strawberry Statement which was held up in music rights limbo for
years has never come out on DVD yet TCM ran it late one night.

DEALING (http://www.wbshop.com/Dealing/1000112864,default,pd.html) is in the Warner Archive.

There was a big box MGM release of STRAWBERRY STATEMENT on VHS and, I assume, Beta. Don't know if all of the music was intact.

Speaking of MGM, THE LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN and VALLEY GIRL, released on DVD by MGM, had some music alterations not present in the original VHS printings of those films. LAV is missing Human League's "Love Action" and it was reportedly at the instigation of the band who did not want their song used in such a film. Ironically, the trailer, included on the DVD, has "Love Action" on its soundtrack! Men at Work's "Who Can It Be Now?" is missing from MGM's VALLEY GIRL DVD while it was present on the old Vestron VHS.

Jim R.
11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
It sounds like someone might make a killing if they have good VHS transfers of these old movies and TV shows, and they put them on DVD-R and sell them to the people who want them! Just saying.....

Mike B
11-16-2010, 09:53 PM
One release that bugs he heck out of me is a Legend Films release of the obscure late 70's comedy "French Postcards". The film is seriously compromised without the original soundtrack.

Jonathan H.
11-17-2010, 01:22 AM
One release that bugs he heck out of me is a Legend Films release of the obscure late 70's comedy "French Postcards". The film is seriously compromised without the original soundtrack.

Agreed. They even cut out part of a scene during the final student musical performance because the song the students performed wasn't cleared for home video. They couldn't simply drop in another song in this instance because it wouldn't have matched the lips of the singers.

I got the Legend disc very cheaply via Amazon Marketplace, but I kept my dub from the The Movie Channel with original soundtrack intact. Fun movie, but I can't even bring myself to watch the Legend disc...too bad since it's widescreen and looks pretty decent. Too bad the sound isn't up to that level...

Mark R. Hill
11-17-2010, 02:10 AM
The Strawberry Statement which was held up in music rights limbo for years has never come out on DVD yet TCM ran it late one night.

Medicine Ball Caravan
In Concert TV series (that was the best of 'em)
Midnight Special

Seems to me a post here mentioned that the TCM showing still had compromised music. (Though I can't confirm from viewing- though I do have it taped!)

And just for bragging rights, I have long had the vinyl soundtrack from MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN- bought for .49 cents(!) at a PEACHES RECORDS cutouts section about 30 years ago!!!

I have NEVER seen MEDICINE BALL broadcast in any form.
Is there any notion that it has been shown on TV???

David Lopez
11-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Something curious I noticed about DePalma's WISEGUYS - when it first appeared on VHS and pay cable, the Springsteen song "Pink Cadillac" was removed and replaced with some particularly lame incidental music; in the intervening years, I've seen the movie a few times and the song was restored - however I saw it again fairly recently and the tune was GONE again. Did the music rights expire, or was I watching the earlier "non-restored" version of the movie?