PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dino De Laurentiis

James Flower
11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Sad to hear this. Thank you for Blue Velvet, Evil Dead 2 and many more Dino!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12118027

mark t
11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
For all of the bad things that I'd heard, he did put out a LOAD of films! RIP, Dino.

Jason Lee
11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
For all of the bad things that I'd heard, he did put out a LOAD of films! RIP, Dino.

Couldnt care less about the BAD THINGS...

All i know is, when his name came up at the beginning of the movie (or on the box!) you knew you were in for a good time...not always a GREAT time, but he could always be relied upon to give you a good 90 mins of entertainment..

Mike T
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
That's some sad news, but on the bright side 91's a damn good wicket and the man spent his whole life doing what he loved. How many of us will be able to say the same come the day? Thanks for the movies, Dino!

mark t
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Me neither...that was meant to be a positive statement. :)

james_brummel
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I liked King Kong. Jessica Langs tits!

Ian Jane
11-11-2010, 09:10 AM

All i know is, when his name came up at the beginning of the movie (or on the box!) you knew you were in for a good time...not always a GREAT time, but he could always be relied upon to give you a good 90 mins of entertainment..

Amen. Dino delivered.

John G.
11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Undeniably a man who left his mark on the industry... go to the 1950s and you see, among his many projects, production credits for Fellini films LA STRADA and NIGHTS OF CABIRIA. Flash forward to the late 60s and he's there for DANGER: DIABOLIK and BARBARELLA. It's amazing how willing the man was to work in almost any type of genre! In the mid 70s, for example, he followed the high-profile flop of the KING KONG remake by producing Ingmar Bergman's THE SERPENT'S EGG. The 1980s saw him far more involved in genre pictures: FLASH GORDON, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, AMITYVILLE II, DUNE, etc. etc. A one of a kind personality in the industry, and I find it a credit to him that he produced from both ends of the spectrum, from the high brow to the low brow, and everything in between.

Mike Paine
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow sad news for sure! R.I.P. DINO

2010 has not been a good year for genre personalities.

Joshua Axelrad
11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't forget one of the most influential films of the past 50 years: "Death Wish."

Jon Rollins
11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
...Flash forward to the late 60s and he's there for DANGER: DIABOLIK and BARBARELLA...

Funny, that's gonna be my double feature tribute to his career.

Cheers, Dino. R.I.P.

David F
11-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Goodbye Dino, thank you for making cinema that much more interesting.

Derrick King
11-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Undeniably a man who left his mark on the industry... go to the 1950s and you see, among his many projects, production credits for Fellini films LA STRADA and NIGHTS OF CABIRIA. Flash forward to the late 60s and he's there for DANGER: DIABOLIK and BARBARELLA. It's amazing how willing the man was to work in almost any type of genre! In the mid 70s, for example, he followed the high-profile flop of the KING KONG remake by producing Ingmar Bergman's THE SERPENT'S EGG. The 1980s saw him far more involved in genre pictures: FLASH GORDON, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, AMITYVILLE II, DUNE, etc. etc. A one of a kind personality in the industry, and I find it a credit to him that he produced from both ends of the spectrum, from the high brow to the low brow, and everything in between.

This sums it up perfectly.

RIP Dino and thanks for all the awesome movies.

Emanuele Sheriff
11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, one of the legends of international cinema is gone. What a career! RIP, signore.

Daniel M
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
As a very young kid, I realized that if I saw the name Dino De Laurentiis at the top of a movie's credits, that film was going to be enjoyable. He was perhaps the first filmmaker that I had such a "brand-name" association with...

Rest In Peace, Maestro.

Sheldon Warnock
11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
No one cry when Kong die. But when Dino die, people gonna cry.

Time: "Here Comes King Kong" (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,918456-10,00.html) (October 25, 1976)

Eric B
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I just now finished watching "Evil Dead 2" over some Guiness then heard about the passing here. He was a giant.

Richard Anthony
11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Sad News. RIP Dino. I loved his work in Films and every time I saw a Movie with Dino's name on it, I knew that it was going to be a Fun Movie!! He helped bring to life so many Classic Movies, "Death Wish", King Kong", "Danger: Diabolik", "Barbarella", "Evil Dead 2" and So Many More!! Dino will be missed but he will forever live on through his Movies.

Terry Carpenter
11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
So sad to hear, The man really put out many countless classics. And that's an understatement....

R.I.P

Stefan A.
11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I love seeing a movie w/ his name attached to it. Hell, if I'm not mistaken he produced "Lipstick," along w/ a lot of the other titles mention and not mentioned.

R.I.P.

Lars Jacobsson
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
RIP, Dino! You achieved a hell of lot in your 91 years on earth!
My De Laurentiis top 5:
1. Flash Gordon
2. Danger: Diabolik
3. Conan the Barbarian
4. Barbarella
5. King Kong (not a great film but it was the first King Kong I saw and it was one of the films that got me interested in fantastic cinema when I was a kid)

Alex K.
11-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I always thought of him as a kind of Italian Robert Evans. Except he was willing to do crazier shit. I drink to his honor. Salud!

Jim R.
11-11-2010, 06:12 PM
He was a great producer. I remember seeing "De Laurentiis Entertainment" at the beginning of THE TRANSFORMERS - THE MOVIE. Saw that at a theater. It was awesome! Plus, he gave us AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION and ARMY OF DARKNESS (both of which I had to defend on another website earlier today). So, I'm going to miss his genre efforts.

Alex K.
11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I noticed that he produced Danger: Diabolik. Can Troy offer us Bava's thoughts on De Laurentiis?

Troy Howarth
11-12-2010, 08:52 AM
It's not nice to speak ill of the dead, but Bava did not enjoy the experience of working with DeLaurentiis. In fairness, Bava was used to working for producers who left him alone - but Dino was very "hands on" and ran his ship in a different manner. Lots of production meetings, memos, etc. It wasn't Bava's cup of tea at all, so he resolved never to work for him again. DeLaurentiis held Bava in high esteem, which makes sense: he was a bargain and he got great results for a fraction of the costs.

RIP, Signor DeLaurentiis - you produced some great films!

Phil B.
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Rest In Peace. Thanks for all the great movies and memories!

Daniel M
11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Troy, any truth behind the rumor that De Laurentiis tried to interest Bava in directing KING KONG at some early point in the project's development? Antonio Margheriti claimed to have been attached to the production briefly as well.

paul h.
11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
and thanks for Blue Velvet, and Dune. Dino, you will be missed.

Troy Howarth
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Troy, any truth behind the rumor that De Laurentiis tried to interest Bava in directing KING KONG at some early point in the project's development? Antonio Margheriti claimed to have been attached to the production briefly as well.

To the best of my knowledge, he didn't approach him to direct - but he did offer him the chance to do the FX. He passed on it because it would have meant leaving home for an extended period, so he recommended Rambaldi instead. No disrespect to Rambaldi, who has done some extraordinary work, but I can't help but think that Bava would have done a bit better by it. So much of Bava's FX work is so seamless that you really don't even notice it.

Daniel M
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
^ Thanks for the clarification.

Margheriti claimed to have been put on salary briefly as a "back-up director" of sorts in case things didn't work out with John Guillerman. Initially I found this a bit of a stretch, what with Guillerman having films like THE BLUE MAX and THE TOWERING INFERNO on his resume.

But digging deeper, I discovered Guillerman did run into trouble on TTI, so much so that producer Irwin Allen took to co-directing the action sequences (he's essentially the only director seen working in much of the movie's more spectacular BTS).

It stands to reason that De Laurentiis may have wanted to have a journeyman action director on hand just in case the film got into trouble.

A Margheriti-directed KING KONG with effects by Maria Bava - THAT's a film I would have liked to have seen.

Ian F
11-12-2010, 09:44 PM
To the best of my knowledge, he didn't approach him to direct - but he did offer him the chance to do the FX. He passed on it because it would have meant leaving home for an extended period, so he recommended Rambaldi instead. No disrespect to Rambaldi, who has done some extraordinary work, but I can't help but think that Bava would have done a bit better by it. So much of Bava's FX work is so seamless that you really don't even notice it.

Interestingly enough he also approached T. Nakano and some other Toho guys.

I agree about Bava though, I also love the running child effect in SHOCK. So simple as Troy pointed out once, but so damn effective!

I mourn Dino, the man gave the world some crap, but so much good stuff. I tempted to fire up Conan tonight. Ironically he originally wanted a pop score for it. The man had a passion for film and bless him for always keeping the fire burning. The world is a lot poorer now without him.

Guillaume P
11-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks Mr De Laurentiis for producing some masterpieces of Michael Mann and David Cronenberg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If2UckvLafo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWPMomkRzA

Lewis Teague's "Cat's eye":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qArvLRv3UE

Michael Anderson's "Orca the killer whale":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkzC3q9UVw&feature=related

Sheldon Warnock
11-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Bava also directed the "Polyphemus" ("Polifemo") episode of the mini-series The Odyssey (L'Odissea) - a Dino De Laurentiis Cinematografica S.p.A. co-production.

YouTube: "Polyphemus" clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTVD1KA-Xo)

Google Groups: alt.movies: "Dino De Laurentiis film productions (1950-1974)" (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.movies/msg/5a6647fbb979206b) (March 25, 2001)

Troy Howarth
11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Since Bava wasn't in charge of the entire show, he had an easier experience on The Odyssey. His segment is really terrific, incidentally, and it boasts some of his most impressive FX work.

Jim R.
11-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I clicked on your YouTube links to see what those were [MANHUNTER and THE DEAD ZONE], Guillaume P, and discovered that ORCA was the only one in your post that I don't have on DVD! Wow, I like a lot more Dino De Laurentiis productions than I thought!

Michael CS
11-14-2010, 07:12 PM
RIP indeed.

The man did way more than "make a hot grand-daughter"....

(If you got my semi-references, YOU WIN!)

Daniel M
11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
William Friedkin's RAMPAGE was a De Laurentiis Entertainment Group production, although it was (belatedly) released by another company.