PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott's Sci Fi trilogy

Alex K.
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Sci Fi being a generic term, each film being radically different from the other. The trilogy being Alien, Blade Runner, and Legend. All fantastic films, and all three being very visually outre and unique among Hollywood pictures. Scott has never done a film as visual as these three. In fact his films afterwards were pretty standard though solid pictures. I'd wager a guess that after completing Legend Scott thought he want as far as he could visually and wanted to get back to basics. Just like Darren Arronofsky after completing The Fountain wanted to do something simpler and made The Wrestler.

I was going to ask which of them is your favorite, but I'm avoiding that because I really don't have a favorite among them. Even though I've seen Alien at least 15-20 times, Blade Runner only once, and Legend 2-3 times. I admire all three equally.

Scott MacDonald
11-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies EVER. So I would have to go with that one.

HOwever, I don't really see them as a trilogy.

RichardDoyle
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
No ... and I don't really see "Legend" as a sci-fi film. There's really no "sci", just "fi".

Anyway, I don't like "Legend" much at all ... but I really like the other two. If I had to pick, I'd say "Alien", since I think "Blade Runner" suffers a bit from the narrative weaknesses that most of Scott's film suffer from.

Alex K.
11-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah I would define Legend as a Dark Fantasy. But I didn't know what else to call the three films. You have to admit all three are incredibly stylish and pretty far from what you'd call a mainstream film.

Randy Thomas G
11-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Legend looks great but like a lot of fantasy films is weak in terms of plot and character. Blade Runner is my favourite of the three, although the first part of Alien, before the chest-bursting is probably my favourite vision of the future ever.

John G.
11-11-2010, 06:28 AM
I'm also not a big fan of LEGEND... slide the focus to one film earlier, THE DUELISTS, Scott's debut film, and you have a perfect opening "trilogy" for this director, not thematic of course, but all three are brilliant works. In fact, it may be the strongest "first three films" by any filmmaker! :)

Ray Kanne
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Legend doesn't belong with the other two. Another genre all together. Of his two Science Fiction works I prefer Alien but I also like Blade Runner. Alien is IMO almost perfect while Blade Runner is far from it and Legend is a just a bad, bad film with some good visuals thrown in here and there. Alien is in a league of it's own quality wise i think. Good story, good acting, good effects, good music and great ambiance, the movie just clicks on every level.

Troy Howarth
11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Alien for me, followed by Blade Runner. I never cared for Legend.

Jim R.
11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I like all three, although I only have ALIEN on DVD at the moment. I keep putting off buying the other two. I have to get the international cut of BLADE RUNNER, with the original narration and all the violence, which comes with one of those expensive boxed sets. I'm not into the re-edits. I'm interested in seeing the longer cut of LEGEND, the only Tom Cruise film I like!