PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: Video Interview With Bill Lustig - New Titles Announced!

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E4pModCGVqk?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Here's a first - a co-production between The CineFiles and AVManiacs.com! In this exciting departure from our regular format, we present an interview with Bill Lustig, director of numerous exploitation films, a few of which might be familiar to our readers such as <strong><em>Maniac</em></strong>, <strong><em>Vigilante</em></strong>, and <em><strong>The Maniac Cop</strong></em> series.</p><p style="text-align: center">Now the head of*<a href="www.blue-underground.com" target="_blank" title="Blue Underground"><em><strong>Blue Underground</strong></em></a>, one of the premiere DVD and Blu-Ray labels for cult movies, Lustig speaks about how he got into the film industry, his influences, getting into the video industry and even announces a few upcoming titles from Blue Underground - some of which will make horror fans very happy. We hope to make this is a semi-regular feature, so if you enjoy the interview, please be sure to let us know by commenting and subscribing to our You Tube channel:*<a href="www.youtube.com/cinefiles" title="www.youtube.com/cinefiles">www.youtube.com/cinefiles</a>. This way you can be alerted when new videos are uploaded, so take the time and sign up!</p>

Mike T
10-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Awesome work Edwin (and fellow "thank you" folk)! Great interview, and the exclusive scoops on up-coming Blue Underground Blu-rays for 2011 was a treat (Zombie - OMG!). I now have no reason to import any other editions than Bill's discs next year :D

(I just hope he keeps on issuing them region-free for us international fans)

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Won't be able to check out the video until later... glad to hear Zombie is a go, and I know there are some Argento's, as well. Any other major Eurocult titles?

John G.
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Superb interview! It's a shame that BU won't be releasing SUSPIRIA although it's nice to hear him talk about future ("Criterion-esque!") Argento blu-rays. The "exclusive extras" comment means of course that now I will have to get BU's versions of these films as well! :D

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed the piece. I spent a few weeks editing this - it was a lot of work, but I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

When I interviewed Lustig, we only had about an hour to set up and shoot, so there was a lot that we didn't have time to cover. I asked him about doing another interview and he said he would be would be up for it. If it does happen, I plan to ask all of the forum members to submit questions. Would be a fun experience for all.

Mike T
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
... glad to hear Zombie is a go, and I know there are some Argento's, as well. Any other major Eurocult titles?

Bill mentioned, off the top of my head, House by the Cemetary, Inferno, Cat O'Nine Tails, Deep Red and Zombie. He also mentioned, in relation to titles that have already seen releases through UK company Arrow that the BU Blus will have exclusive content (ie: new interviews with Leigh McCloskey, Irene Miracle and Keith Emerson [he hopes] for Inferno; the original scrolling Italian credits for their print of Deep Red, by way of a "fix" for fans who complained last time around; and something of a "go-for-broke" best Special Edition possible for Zombie). I'm excited!

And I sure don't mind waiting the extra time for the BU editions now that a) I know they're coming, and b) they'll have exclusive content as well as be the best versions they can produce. ;)

Matt D
10-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I really like Lustig interviews, he is clearly passionate about genre movies far beyond the well known titles, this is the second interview with him I have read/seen where I was scribbling down titles I have never heard of. I believe he mentioned The Outfit in an interview once and that has since become a favourite of mine.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Glad to hear he's fixing Deep Red - they never should have tampered with it in the first place, so I'm glad he's listening to the fans.

Here's hoping a completely uncut, remastered Tenebre is also in the works! :)

John G.
10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
In regards to Tenebre, it is significant that Lustig did not mention any of the titles that Anchor Bay currently has in print on DVD (via that 5-film steel book, most significantly Tenebre, Phenomena and Trauma), so I'd imagine AB still owns those films... I wouldn't expect a domestic blu-ray of these films anytime soon, unfortunately.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I hadn't thought of that... bummer! :( Oh well, the upside is we have plenty of gold to look forward to!

Rich H.
10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
So if they are doing new transfers on a lot of the movies, and he mentions digital in the same breath as the blu ray...is it safe to assume they would be HD streams? Or does Netflix not necessarily stream HD just because the material is?

Wonder if their deal with E1 has helped their $$$ situation. I hate to hear about these smaller companies that release the cool shit struggling to sell enough physical copies to break even.

Only problem with the interview...wish it were longer!

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
So if they are doing new transfers on a lot of the movies, and he mentions digital in the same breath as the blu ray...is it safe to assume they would be HD streams? Or does Netflix not necessarily stream HD just because the material is?

Wonder if their deal with E1 has helped their $$$ situation. I hate to hear about these smaller companies that release the cool shit struggling to sell enough physical copies to break even.

Only problem with the interview...wish it were longer!

He's doing all new HD transfers for Blu-ray. The talk about streaming: that's where he sees the industry going in the near future.

Thank you for you comments on the interview. Sorry the interview was short, but it's better to keep you wanting more than looking at your watch.

Alex K.
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice two camera setup. What cameras did you use to shoot? Great editing too. Looking forward to the new release of Zombie, I just it isn't too bright like the other releases.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Nice two camera setup. What cameras did you use to shoot? Great editing too. Looking forward to the new release of Zombie, I just it isn't too bright like the other releases.

Thank you. I spent a lot of time cutting it. I wish I had a different angle for the b-camera, but you gotta work with what you have. The master was shot in in full 1080/24p with my Canon t2i with a professional XLR adapter. The b-camera was a kodak zi8, which was also shot in full HD.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Funny you should say that about it being bright... the old laser disc transfer (ported over to the initial DVD) was way too dark and murky, so I thought the new transfer was a major improvement!

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Funny you should say that about it being bright... the old laser disc transfer (ported over to the initial DVD) was way too dark and murky, so I thought the new transfer was a major improvement!

The old AB release was mastered from an old US print. The last release was mastered from the Italian negative, which is the main reason why the credits shift to a lesser quality element for the English titles.

Rich H.
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
He's doing all new HD transfers for Blu-ray. The talk about streaming: that's where he sees the industry going in the near future.

Thank you for you comments on the interview. Sorry the interview was short, but it's better to keep you wanting more than looking at your watch.

You're probably correct he didn't intend them as a linked idea--I am listening to this at work so I can't say I am paying 100% perfect attention.

And a little research on my lazy part says yeah, it would be a safe assumption. Looks like anything they have on BR right now is an HD stream on Netflix (if it's streaming)...no reason that wouldn't continue I hope.

And the interview comment was most certainly meant as a compliment and not a real complaint! ;)

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
And the interview comment was most certainly meant as a compliment and not a real complaint! ;)

No, I didn't get that impression at all. I just had a talk with someone about how less is more. I think that an interview should lean and make you want more. I hate it when there's a featurtte that goes on forever with useless info. A perfect example of this would be Media Blaster's Zombi 2. Yes, there's an almost a two hour piece on the movie, but it drags on forever. It should have been cut to 45 minutes.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think I'd like to see it cut down THAT drastically, no, but I do agree that sometimes less is more.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
The old AB release was mastered from an old US print. The last release was mastered from the Italian negative, which is the main reason why the credits shift to a lesser quality element for the English titles.

I really didn't have any major problems with the new transfer... I thought it looked very good. Mind you, I'm sure the new transfer will be better still.

Luis Domenech
10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I have to wait until later to listen to the interview - any info on new (never previously released) titles? The suspense is killing me.

Alex K.
10-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Well, compare the way the zombie makeup looks in the new transfer compared to the old. It looks fake. The severed hand at the opening looks like plastic, and the famous zombie on the poster looks fake as hell, you could count the eyelashes on the bugger! I don't think Fulci intentionally shot it in such a way that it would look fake. His other horror films from this period don't have this problem. Granted he seemed to have shot Zombie using mostly natural light compared to City, Beyond, and House which were mostly done in studio. But I don't think he could fuck up that badly where the makeup looks fake.

Same thing with the Blu of Day of the Dead. You can't tell me that the makeup doesn't look bad in that transfer.

Side note, the interviews on the Shriek Show discs were pretty weak. Very amateur-hour. Not trying to rag on those guys, but some editing would have helped immensely. Nearly a quarter of their footage consists of the interviewer struggling to ask a question in Italian.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, compare the way the zombie makeup looks in the new transfer compared to the old. It looks fake. The severed hand at the opening looks like plastic, and the famous zombie on the poster looks fake as hell, you could count the eyelashes on the bugger! I don't think Fulci intentionally shot it in such a way that it would look fake. His other horror films from this period don't have this problem. Granted he seemed to have shot Zombie using mostly natural light compared to City, Beyond, and House which were mostly done in studio. But I don't think he could fuck up that badly where the makeup looks fake.

Same thing with the Blu of Day of the Dead. You can't tell me that the makeup doesn't look bad in that transfer.

Side note, the interviews on the Shriek Show discs were pretty weak. Very amateur-hour. Not trying to rag on those guys, but some editing would have helped immensely. Nearly a quarter of their footage consists of the interviewer struggling to ask a question in Italian.

I think you hit it, really: Zombie was filmed on a lot of locations, so that would account for it. I don't think the makeups are betrayed by the transfer, to be honest, though I have heard that complaint voiced before. To me, it looks much preferable to the older transfers. I haven't seen the AB Blu of Day, so I can't tell you one thing or another about it.

As to the interviews - yep, tighter editing would have been good; I just think Edwin was suggesting TOO much editing when he said 45 minutes. If it clocks in at 2 hours, I'd say 90 minutes would have been closer to ideal.

Here's hoping Richard Johnson is involved this time - he's open to talking about these films, and he's not snooty about them in the least.

Alex K.
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I think the natural lighting may have hindered him, but again look at Florinda Bolkan's death in Don't Torture Duckling. That had natural lighting and it looked great... Then there's the priests' head as he's plummeting. But I'm willing to chalk that up to bad makeup more than anything.

To reiterate, I think the transfer was too bright. I hope it's corrected for the Blu.

I thought Richard Johnson would want some money for a commentary. I remember (this is years ago) that Jason Slater was trying to get Johnson and McCulloch together for a new commentary but Shriek Show wouldn't pay the money they wanted.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Did you see that two of people interviewed where filmed inside a closet? Yes, inside a closet.

AdamTyner
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Just wanted to chime in with everyone else and say how great this interview is. Very much looking forward to what Blue Underground has to offer in 2011.

Brian Lindsey
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Great interview, Edwin!

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
As to the interviews - yep, tighter editing would have been good; I just think Edwin was suggesting TOO much editing when he said 45 minutes. If it clocks in at 2 hours, I'd say 90 minutes would have been closer to ideal.

No, I'm not kidding. The footage is sometimes hard to sit through. Tops, that thing shouldn't have been longer than 60 minutes. Also, the animated graphics that popped up everything an person were on screen drove me insane!

Alex K.
10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Did you see that two of people interviewed where filmed inside a closet? Yes, inside a closet.

Which one was that one? Oddly I think the most awkward interview they ever did was with David Hess for House on the Edge of the Park.

Also, the animated graphics that popped up everything an person were on screen drove me insane!

I joked that you could have a drinking game with the number of times a graphic would pop up during the interview with the man who played the zombie at the beginning. I forget his name.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Just wanted to chime in with everyone else and say how great this interview is. Very much looking forward to what Blue Underground has to offer in 2011.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I hope to do more interviews for the site. I have the gear and knowledge on how to edit, so why not? So far the reception for the interview has been excellent. I think Lustig would be up for another one down the road, if he is (which he said he was) I really want to members of the forum to submit questions.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Great interview, Edwin!

Thank you! I hope you'll consider subscribing to the you tube channel! We need the support!

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Which one was that one? Oddly I think the most awkward interview they ever did was with David Hess for House on the Edge of the Park.

I joked that you could have a drinking game with the number of times a graphic would pop up during the interview with the man who played the zombie at the beginning. I forget his name.

What was so annoying about that graphic is that it appeared every time someone appeared on camera! They thought you would forget who they were, so they had to nag you to death. In addition, that thing was so distracting - it had no place being there. I think it must have come on screen at least 30 times. If you were playing a drinking game, you'll be on a table at the morgue from alcohol poisoning!

Derrick King
10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Nice interview. Can't believe that Lustig is still defending the SUSPIRIA remix.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Nice interview. Can't believe that Lustig is still defending the SUSPIRIA remix.

Thank you! What surprises me is that Vincent hasn't responded yet! I asked the question for him.

I ask that anyone who enjoyed the interview, subscribe to my you tube channel at www.youtube.com/cinefiles. Thank you in advance for the support!

Edward McDougal
10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Cant watch it now... any info on future DVD releases? Or only BD?

Thanks!

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the natural lighting may have hindered him, but again look at Florinda Bolkan's death in Don't Torture Duckling. That had natural lighting and it looked great... Then there's the priests' head as he's plummeting. But I'm willing to chalk that up to bad makeup more than anything.

To reiterate, I think the transfer was too bright. I hope it's corrected for the Blu.

I thought Richard Johnson would want some money for a commentary. I remember (this is years ago) that Jason Slater was trying to get Johnson and McCulloch together for a new commentary but Shriek Show wouldn't pay the money they wanted.

Duckling would have had a better budget for makeup and so forth, however. It may well be a tad too bright, but I just don't see it... In any event, I'm sure the new transfer will be preferable to what we've seen.

I don't think actors tend to do commentaries for free - I doubt Johnson wanted a ridiculous amount. Code Red was able to get him for a camera interview on Beyond the Door, for example. He seems a really genial guy.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
No, I'm not kidding. The footage is sometimes hard to sit through. Tops, that thing shouldn't have been longer than 60 minutes. Also, the animated graphics that popped up everything an person were on screen drove me insane!

Well, it's imperfect, but I really don't think it needed to be cut that drastically... some, sure, but not that much, IMO. In any event, we can agree on that graphics! :D

Alex K.
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Duckling would have had a better budget for makeup and so forth, however. It may well be a tad too bright, but I just don't see it... In any event, I'm sure the new transfer will be preferable to what we've seen.

I don't think the budget was that much of a factor here. There were a handful of effects guys in Italy and they worked on productions big and small. I mean Gino De Rosi did the effects for Inglorious Bastards and Cannibal Ferox. The budgets didn't go to shit until the mid to late 80's.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think the budget was that much of a factor here. There were a handful of effects guys in Italy and they worked on productions big and small. I mean Gino De Rosi did the effects for Inglorious Bastards and Cannibal Ferox. The budgets didn't go to shit until the mid to late 80's.

Any FX guy will tell you the most important thing about make-up is lighting. If it's too bright, you'll see how fake it really is.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
True - but when there's more time, there's better opportunity to get things done right - and time is money. So yes, I do believe money/time will factor into it.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Oh, and great work on the interview, Edwin - I just checked it out - very, very good! :)

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh, and great work on the interview, Edwin - I just checked it out - very, very good! :)

Many thanks. I'm so glad it's finally up as editing that thing almost killed me! However, I'm very pleased that some many are enjoying it. I hope you subscribed to my channel. I know I've been bothering people with this, but I have a goal of reaching a 1000 subscribers before the end of the year.

Vincent Pereira
10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you! What surprises me is that Vincent hasn't responded yet! I asked the question for him...

Great interview, just got home from work and watched it. I love with Blue Underground has been doing with their Blu-rays. But regarding the SUSPIRIA issue, my response is I don't agree with what Bill says there. His remix is the only version of SUSPIRIA missing the dialogue as Suzy walks down the hallway in the climax ("Very well, we have come to a decision. This situation can no longer be tolerated...") - look at any of the foreign mixes that dialogue is there -, it's the only version missing the sound of Suzy coughing when Madame Blank wishes sickness on her, it's the only version where Sarah reacts to the schoolbell BEFORE you hear it, it's the only version where the sound of Daniel's barking dog in the square is ridiculously low in volume while Daniel's voice is booming loud, etc. etc. etc. I know the mono mix is missing a couple of the music cues that Lustig's remix also dropped, but still- all of those other changes and they ONLY show up on the Anchor Bay remix? And even if he was right, he still left off the original mix as a viewing option, something Lustig has thankfully started doing on all of the Blue Underground Blu-rays.

Vincent

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Great interview, just got home from work and watched it. I love with Blue Underground has been doing with their Blu-rays. But regarding the SUSPIRIA issue, my response is I don't agree with what Bill says there. His remix is the only version of SUSPIRIA missing the dialogue as Suzy walks down the hallway in the climax ("Very well, we have come to a decision. This situation can no longer be tolerated...") - look at any of the foreign mixes that dialogue is there -, it's the only version missing the sound of Suzy coughing when Madame Blank wishes sickness on her, it's the only version where Sarah reacts to the schoolbell BEFORE you hear it, it's the only version where the sound of Daniel's barking dog in the square is ridiculously low in volume while Daniel's voice is booming loud, etc. etc. etc. I know the mono mix is missing a couple of the music cues that Lustig's remix also dropped, but still- all of those other changes and they ONLY show up on the Anchor Bay remix? And even if he was right, he still left off the original mix as a viewing option, something Lustig has thankfully started doing on all of the Blue Underground Blu-rays.

Vincent

Thanks for watching Vincent. I knew his answer wouldn't please you, but I'm glad I have it on camera.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't see how anyone can be OK with the remix. It's not even the missing dialogue that troubles me the most about it - the music is mixed much too low, and that really hurts the overall effect of the film's design.

Jon Houghton
10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I am still on my Anchor Bay 3 disc Suspiria, I don't know how the mix is on that compared to the Blue Underground version so I wouldn't know any better.

Jon Houghton
10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
oh yeah, and excellent interview Edwin! going to subscribe to your youtube channel also.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I am still on my Anchor Bay 3 disc Suspiria, I don't know how the mix is on that compared to the Blue Underground version so I wouldn't know any better.

It's the same mix. When Lustig supervised the transfer for the original AB DVD release, a remix was done - no problem in and of itself, but if you ever get a chance to hear the audio as it's really intended to be heard, it really kicks the movie up a notch or two.

Shane K
10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Excellent interview Edwin, I subbed your channel as well.

I love Bill Lustig, he's so goddamn suave! Blue Underground is elite in every way of the word. They're the standard that I wish every company would live up to.

Jon Houghton
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I would love to, Suspiria is my favorite Argento movie and the soundtrack is incredible. I would love to see BU get it right and release the soundtrack separately like AB did.

Troy Howarth
10-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Much as I gripe about the occasional f***-up in these releases (principally the end titles of Deep Red and the audio on Suspiria), I think Lustig does terrific work on the whole. I don't understand why he's done some of the things he's done, no, but on the whole there's no doubting his passion and integrity.

Edward Black
10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
A+ interview. Great job!

Paul Francis
10-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Nice interview. I'm glad there are still companies like Blue Underground who are willing to put the time and effort into releasing niche titles.

Anthony Thorne
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Really enjoyable interview and very nicely shot and edited to boot. (I met Bill when he was in Melbourne several years ago and he was a super nice guy). I'll be getting all the Italian cult Blu-Rays Bill references in his chat, and I have to laugh at the notion that I will eventually, probably, own three different Blu-Ray editions of INFERNO, as each will have valuable supplementary content missing from the other. I hope their eventual ZOMBIE Blu-Ray is a monster smash next year.

Randy Thomas G
10-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Great interview and nice to see how well shot and edited it was.

Marshall Crist
10-28-2010, 05:09 AM
I don't want to nitpick, but in case Bill is reading this and there is a possibility of a Blu-ray of BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE...

please let the end credits run. I don't care what language they are in.

Thank you.

Jim R.
10-28-2010, 07:52 AM
^
I don't own a Blu-Ray player, but if Bill can find a trailer for THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE besides that crummy American "double feature" one, I don't care what language the trailer is in either! Just re-release the movie on DVD with the new trailer!

Mike T
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I remember (this is years ago) that Jason Slater was trying to get Johnson and McCulloch together for a new commentary but Shriek Show wouldn't pay the money they wanted.

Funny, I remember that story a little differently. I'm sure I read that a (virtual) full cast reunion was pretty much a done deal for that release including, if I recall correctly, the ever elusive Tisa Farrow. If memory serves me correctly, once Slater got involved the whole thing went pear-shaped and the main players that should have been a part of the project ended up excluded. I'm sure there's someone out there that knows the story better than me though... ;)

Marshall Crist
10-28-2010, 01:15 PM
^
I don't own a Blu-Ray player, but if Bill can find a trailer for THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE besides that crummy American "double feature" one, I don't care what language the trailer is in either! Just re-release the movie on DVD with the new trailer!

I used to own a 35mm trailer for this film. I lent it to Something Weird for them to telecine and exploit as they wished. It turned up on one of their trailer comps, DUSK-TO-DAWN DRIVE-IN Vol.3, IIRC. That same dub of the trailer is up on YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

Pete Bogh
10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Excellent job Edwin! More stuff like this, please.

David Steigman
10-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I havent had a chance to watch this yet..it sound slike new editions in SD & Blu for Fulci and Argento films which Anchor Bay released years ago (according to the comments Ive read)

Troy Howarth
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Funny, I remember that story a little differently. I'm sure I read that a (virtual) full cast reunion was pretty much a done deal for that release including, if I recall correctly, the ever elusive Tisa Farrow. If memory serves me correctly, once Slater got involved the whole thing went pear-shaped and the main players that should have been a part of the project ended up excluded. I'm sure there's someone out there that knows the story better than me though... ;)

I think you're right, actually - I know I recall reading something along these lines, in any event.

Matthew BB
10-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm a little bummed out that they won't be concentrating on introducing new titles to their catalog, because I love their variety and overall presentations. I do understand where he is coming from, though. Guess that means that whenever someone starts or comments on an Unreleased on DVD thread people can no longer say "Blue Underground, get to it!" 5 years ago or so, I would wonder why BU weren't talking about trying to release many of the titles that Lustig personally loves, like some of the John Flynn films and THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, but I quickly realized that some things just aren't going to be even remotely easy or practical.

Very much looking forward to the awesome sounding new special editions. BU rules!

Mike T
10-29-2010, 06:26 AM
I think you're right, actually - I know I recall reading something along these lines, in any event.

TBH, I'm fairly sure it was either Mike Baronas or Kit Gavin that noted online somewhere (haven't Googled it yet) that the ol' "Silver Fox" had shot the whole thing down in flames for them after all of their hard work to make the reunion happen. Trust me, though there's some rogues out there in fandom that make life difficult regardless, the UK harbours some especially vile ones... ;)

Anyway, I'm running OT from Edwin's (again) exemplary work. My apologies and back to the subject at hand: Cinefiles, Mr Lustig and Blue Underground. God bless them all! :)

Edwin Samuelson
10-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Again, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to watch the interview, comment and subscribe to my channel. I really appreciate it a great deal. The interview has gotten a lot of positive buzz. I plan on doing so more interviews for the site in the near future. I already have a few in the planning stages, but will not mention any names in case it doesn't happen.

Jim R.
10-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I used to own a 35mm trailer for this film. I lent it to Something Weird for them to telecine and exploit as they wished. It turned up on one of their trailer comps, DUSK-TO-DAWN DRIVE-IN Vol.3, IIRC. That same dub of the trailer is up on YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you! I found the trailer and downloaded it to my computer.

Jens Thomsen
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Great interview, Edwin. I also just subscribed to your channel.

Looking forward to those BDs. Zombi 2 on blu means I finally will cave in and buy me one of those flashing new machines.

All I need now is someone to make a new encoding of that Suspiria restoration.

Sean G.
10-31-2010, 11:39 AM
That was a great interview, to echo the sentiments of others, thank you Edwin. :) Wonderful to hear about Lustig's commitment to Blu-ray and about the new BU releases coming soon!

Edwin Samuelson
10-31-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks to all those who viewed it and subscribed. I'm almost at my goal of 1000 subscribers!

Sean B
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Great interview Edwin! Thanks for going the extra mile!

Regarding Zombie....I really hope Bill can correct the flub that happens when Menard returns to the hospital with the group....there's a dialogue/footage/synch mistake that occurs when Dakkar tells him about Fritz...

This flub is not present on the 35mm prints that Media Blasters has doing the rounds, so it seems this error occured during the mastering of both the MB and BU dvd's.

Please, please please Bill correct this! Also....use some new artwork for this possibly definitive release!!!! How about the awesome Belgian poster?? That would be suitably cool!

Jerome Wybon
10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
great interview, very well edited. I hope you will able to do more interviews in the near future, maybe with Don May ?

I would have hoped to hear the opinion of Mr Lustig about the "false" grain on the BR of Django but maybe it was too sensitive to ask. And it's just a rumor.
http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2010/06/blue-underground-blu-ray-and-grain/

Michael CS
11-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Great job Edwin, just watched it and just subscribed to the Youtube page.

I too am kinda bummed to hear that BU isn't concentrating on getting "new" movies out there, but all of this new Argento/Fulci BluRay talk puts more of a fire under me to actually buy one!

Marshall Crist
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
It would be nice if the HBTC Blu-ray would include the alternate US main title sequence; that music cue is bad-ass.

Luis Domenech
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
It would be nice if the HBTC Blu-ray would include the alternate US main title sequence; that music cue is bad-ass.

I'll second that. That (alternate?) opening-title soundtrack better fits the style of the film - it's more sinister-sounding. HBTC is by far my most-anticipated Fulci Blu-ray.

John G.
11-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I just noticed that the Cinefiles youtube page has reached 1,000 subscribers! Congratulations Edwin! :)

Ian Z.
11-02-2010, 04:30 PM

It does certainly fit the movie better I think, that's for sure.

For those who care, that cue is actually from a DeWolfe library LP called "A Rose for Dracula". I just about crapped myself when I bought the LP and heard that piece of music. I had completely forgotten that the US distributor changed that for the film's release here.