PDA

View Full Version : The worst: a bad opening/ending scene?

Guillaume P
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Talking about Wes Craven sometimes clumsy (IMO) way of closing his films makes me think about this...
In your opinion,which is the worst?:
a weak opening or a terrible ending??...in an otherwise good film!
I often noticed that people tend to be negative towards a film if its ending in their opinion isn't well done...

Mike T
10-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Of recent fare, I thought the ending of Adam Green's Hatchet was one of the worst endings I've seen in a genre effort for some time. It was one of those "just when you all thought it was over -- here's the shock ending" and I was left thinking "What the hell was that?" :confused:

John G.
10-24-2010, 10:35 AM
There is nothing more frustrating than sitting through an otherwise good or decent movie only to have the filmmakers tack on an awful ending.

Marshall Crist
10-24-2010, 12:12 PM
If the beginning of a film bores me, I generally bail out.

Gary Banks
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
The ending. You can make it through a bad opening if the rest of the movie pays off. But if the ending totally blows the whole experience is soured for me.

Troy Howarth
10-24-2010, 01:52 PM
The opening and closing are vital; screw them up and it's hard to get forgiveness... but most people can accept a weak middle if the opening and closing deliver. I like the film a lot, but I find the ending of Carpenter's Vampires to be clumsy, rushed and very unsatisfying. Carpenter is an excellent action director, but this is half assed stuff at the end. It's like they ran out of money.

Tomb of Ligeia also has a totally wrong ending. A subtle, low key, delicate gem that goes into the usual barnstorming BS for the final reel.

It's no great shakes, but if you can get past the cliched psychedellic crap at the start of Incense for the Damned, it DOES get better.

Al Edwards
10-24-2010, 11:02 PM
bad ending for me.

Guillaume P
10-25-2010, 06:16 AM
I like the film a lot, but I find the ending of Carpenter's Vampires to be clumsy, rushed and very unsatisfying. Carpenter is an excellent action director, but this is half assed stuff at the end. It's like they ran out of money.

i like the very last scene between the lead characters: Woods,Baldwin,Lee and Guinee,BUT i agree that the final showdown between the vampire hunters and the creatures of the night is frustrating,too short...same case for "Ghost of Mars",the lead baddie is defeated too easily by the silly Ice Cuber character!:rolleyes:

Argento is a director who really knows how to open and close his films...i love most of his films's last shots,and even if among others things his way to end his films is controversial especially for his last films,i really like the abrupt endings/closing shots of "The Stendhal syndrome","Mother of Tears","The Card Player","Sleepless","Giallo","Jenifer","Do you like Hitchcock?",etc

Guillaume P
10-25-2010, 06:25 AM
I like the "funny" ending of Alan Parker's "Birdy" but most people don't like it...also i like the abrupt ending of films like "An american werewolf in London" or the Argento films.
"Manhunter" is one of my very favorite films but i have never liked its very last scene,too forced and "sunny" for a disturbing,dark movie like this!...it almost ruins the whole mood created before.

"Les rivières pourpres" ("Crimson Rivers") by our director Mathieu Kassovitz is already (IMO) a very average thriller but its non sensical,silly,cheesy,rushed ending is really the ice on the cake...:eek:
Too bad because i think that the often maligned "Assassin(s)" from the same director is one of our best films from the 90's!

Like i said on another thread,the weak ending of "The Serpent and the rainbow" almost ruins the very positive feeling left by one of Craven's best opuses.

I'm also curious to see Werner Herzog's "Rescue dawn",a friend of mine has just seen it and told me that the opening and ending scenes were just terrible but that between these abysmal bits the rest of the film was fantastic! ha ha

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm also curious to see Werner Herzog's "Rescue dawn",a friend of mine has just seen it and told me that the opening and ending scenes were just terrible but that between these abysmal bits the rest of the film was fantastic! ha ha

The ending seems very "Hollywood," but it really is what Herzog wanted, apparently. I suspect some people have a hard time accepting it for that reason, but I think it works well enough in context.

John G.
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I really wasn't put off by the ending to RESCUE DAWN but it seems somewhat out of place given the overall tone of the film. While I was sitting in the movie theater, I remember thinking to myself that the scene was so "on the nose" and almost exaggerated in its sentiment that it must be some sort of a dream sequence and that the Herzogian "twist" is that it actually isn't. :D

CarterStevens
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
The ending on "Robert A. Heinlein's The Puppet Masters" AKA "The Puppet Masters" has always bothered me. I liked most of the film but the ending just seemed like they ran out of money and had to end it quickly.

David Steigman
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
The opening scene for the Snorkel was by far the funniest one Ive EVER seen..I couldnt stop LOLing
Bad movie with a silly silly opening at least to me :D

Terry Carpenter
10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I really wasn't put off by the ending to RESCUE DAWN but it seems somewhat out of place given the overall tone of the film. While I was sitting in the movie theater, I remember thinking to myself that the scene was so "on the nose" and almost exaggerated in its sentiment that it must be some sort of a dream sequence and that the Herzogian "twist" is that it actually isn't. :D

Thing is it was based on a true story, so I can only suspect that's what happened after Dieter got rescued(I do know Herzog changed a few things around though).

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
IIRC, Herzog mentions this on the commentary - the big welcome home party and so forth was a big thing for Dieter, so he wanted to make sure and put it in there.

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 03:23 PM
The opening scene for the Snorkel was by far the funniest one Ive EVER seen..I couldnt stop LOLing
Bad movie with a silly silly opening at least to me :D

I've seen far, far, far worse openings than that... I still don't get why you found it so amusing, but diff'rent strokes! :)

RichardDoyle
10-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Definitely a bad ending is worse. It's what you're left with. It really colours your perception of the film.