PDA

View Full Version : The Cannon Films Canon comes to Lincoln Center!

Jonathan H.
10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
THEATRICAL RETROSPECTIVE at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in November. No titles announced yet...

Nov 19-24: The Cannon Films Canon
Israel’s answer to Simpson and Bruckheimer, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus and their production and distribution company, Cannon Films, bestrode the 1980s with gleeful exploitation-movie schlock and quality auteur cinema from Godard, Cassavetes, Mailer, Ruiz. Take it from Roger Ebert, no less: “No other production organization in the world today has taken more chances with serious, marginal films.”
On sale: Thu Nov 4

Luis Domenech
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't get it - is this a Cannon retrospective that coming to NYC or some kind of DVD box set?

Zane C.
10-18-2010, 06:28 PM
If this is a box set, I'm all over it!

My guess is that this is a retrospective, though.

Cannon had some great, entertaining flicks! Ahhhh....the 80's. :)

Jonathan H.
10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't get it - is this a Cannon retrospective that coming to NYC or some kind of DVD box set?

I don't know how this is confusing...it's a retrospective coming to the Walter Reade Theater at Lincoln Center. I thought you lived in NYC, Luis.

Based on their description, it seems the series will mix Cannon's well-known exploitation fare with some of the studio's slightly less well-known excursions into high-brow territory.

Jonathan H.
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
If this is a box set, I'm all over it!
My guess is that this is a retrospective, though.

Yes, it's a retrospective. Most of these films are probably already on DVD. The chance to see them projected on 35mm and in a semi-academic setting, particularly in NY, is more rare.

John G.
10-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I've been recently introducing a friend of mine to the sheer joy that is the Cannon Films oeuvre. He'll love this news.

*fingers crossed for DEATH WISH 3*

Edwin Samuelson
10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
If Death Wish 3 is there - I'm bringing at least 20 people. This is one of my favorite films of all time. There is no way I'm missing it.

Robin Bougie
10-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Dammit. Now I wish (YET AGAIN) that I lived in New York.
*kicks dirt*

Steve R
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Bestrode ?

as in, "Cannon Films, bestrode the 1980s with gleeful ...."

Luis Domenech
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
If it includes the uncut version of Death Wish 2 and Runaway Train I'll be first in line. Cannon produced or distributed so many over the top action flicks its criminal that they're not properly represented on DVD. Many of them are fullscreen.

Aaron G
10-20-2010, 02:23 AM
So it's official now. a screening in New York means Golan Globus drek is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... ‹ber hip!

Thomas D.
10-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Is this like a real NY retrospective, normally reserved for the greatest of auteurs (with those glossy programs), but for Golan-Globus? Jesus Christ, this might be worth the trek to NYC if I could arrange it. I think I might be willing to pay to see Salsa: The Movie in a theater, so that is my current threshold for this potentially momentous event.

mark t
10-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Dammit. Now I wish (YET AGAIN) that I lived in New York.
*kicks dirt*

Canadian Road Trip?

Ian F
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I've been recently introducing a friend of mine to the sheer joy that is the Cannon Films oeuvre. He'll love this news.

*fingers crossed for DEATH WISH 3*

Let us not forget Stallone, Norris, and Kosugi!

The Lincoln Center site doesn't have any titles yet.

Jonathan H.
10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
The Lincoln Center site doesn't have any titles yet.

No, not yet. The quote I listed above is all there is so far. Be on the look out for the latest FILM COMMENT...sometimes Film Society of Lincoln Center promotes films there before they appear on their website or printed calendars. This happened recently with the Floyd Mutrux double feature, for instance.

Ian F
10-20-2010, 01:08 PM
No, not yet. The quote I listed above is all there is so far. Be on the look out for the latest FILM COMMENT...sometimes Film Society of Lincoln Center promotes films there before they appear on their website or printed calendars. This happened recently with the Floyd Mutrux double feature, for instance.

I will! Thanks a bunch!

Randy Thomas G
10-21-2010, 03:42 AM
I suspect they will include Norman Mailer's delirious TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE, the strangest American film of the 1980s.

Jonathan H.
10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
The line-up:

Barfly (Schroeder, 87)
Castaway (Roeg, 86)
52 Pick-Up (Frankenheimer, 86)
King Lear (Godard, 87)
Love Streams (Cassavetes, 84)
Operation Thunderbolt (Golan, 77)
Runaway Train (Konchalovsky, 85)
Shy People (Konchalovsky, 87)
Street Smart (Schatzberg, 87)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Hooper, 86)
Tough Guys Donít Dance (Mailer, 87)
Treasure Island (Ruiz, 87-91)

Very disappointed in the lack of Bronson.

Edwin Samuelson
10-27-2010, 04:48 PM
The line-up:

Barfly (Schroeder, 87)
Castaway (Roeg, 86)
52 Pick-Up (Frankenheimer, 86)
King Lear (Godard, 87)
Love Streams (Cassavetes, 84)
Operation Thunderbolt (Golan, 77)
Runaway Train (Konchalovsky, 85)
Shy People (Konchalovsky, 87)
Street Smart (Schatzberg, 87)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Hooper, 86)
Tough Guys Donít Dance (Mailer, 87)
Treasure Island (Ruiz, 87-91)

Very disappointed in the lack of Bronson.

No Bronson! FUCK! I want to see Death Wish 3 on a big screen. That has been my dream for years!

John G.
10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, at least there's Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2! I may also see 52 Pick-Up, King Lear and Castaway...

Jonathan H.
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Hopefully this doc (http://www.indiewire.com/article/drafthouse-films-gets-us-rights-to-electric-boogaloo)from Mark Hartley, the fellow responsible for NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD, will be more representative of the Cannon "canon" than FSLC's retrospective (http://filmcomment.net/wrt/onsale10/cannon.html) was. Regardless of the actual content, the apt title ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/entry/drafthouse_films_acquires_us_rights_to_electric_bo ogaloo_the_wild_untold_st) is a no-brainer, that's for sure.

corey3rd
12-03-2011, 03:04 PM
be nice if another theater could run a "Real" Cannon film festival with the Death Wish, Missing in Action and the other videostore classics they put on the shelf - and then wrap it up with the dueling Lambada movie.

Jonathan H.
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
be nice if another theater could run a "Real" Cannon film festival with the Death Wish, Missing in Action and the other videostore classics they put on the shelf - and then wrap it up with the dueling Lambada movie.

Good news: DEATH WISH 3 will be coming to 92Y Tribeca in January 2012!

Mike Retter
12-05-2011, 07:36 AM
A good double bill with Electric Boogaloo would be real Bad Arabs. A doco about the vilification of Arabs and Middle-Eastern people in American cinema. They have a huge amount of cannon films as examples. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-223210418534585840

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSPUQjxQem0

Jonathan H.
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Good news: DEATH WISH 3 will be coming to 92Y Tribeca in January 2012!

Interestingly, the print that showed at 92Y, which was in great shape, was projected in something closer to Academy ratio. They know what they're doing at 92Y so I'm wondering if Winner intended it to be projected this way or if it was a rare misfire on the part of the projectionist there.

Alex Winter was on hand to introduce and had plenty of great stories about Winner, particularly the way he and his fellow NY actors antagonized Winner (and vice versa) on the British set. He said Bronson mostly kept to himself...a health nut, Bronson didn't want anyone making much physical contact with him. During Winter's stunt where he falls off a car and is hit by Bronson with a metal pipe, Bronson repeatedly refused to hit Winter because, he said, "The kid looks like a choir boy. I can't him. I'll lose my audience."