PDA

View Full Version : I saw Kenneth Anger in person

Alfred Chamberlain
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
...at Harvard Film Archive this past Saturday night and it was really fucking awesome. They screened Scorpio Rising, Kustom Kar Kommandos, Invocation Of My Demon Brother, & Lucifer Rising, then he spoke and answered questions. I had a staff seat because my friend works there and Anger sat directly in front of me during the screening.

Cinematic thrill of my year.

Michael Greenwood
10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Awesome!

Eric B
10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow, that's cool as hell!

Ian Jane
10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I am envious. That's rad as rad can be.

Andrew Ellis
10-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Very cool. He must be a pretty old guy by now, but it doesn't sound like he's mellowed out much with age.

One my film school professors was the renowned avante-garde filmmaker, the late Stan Brakhage, so I got to hear some interesting first-hand stories about Anger, and there were always rumblings that he was going to visit our campus and our film department, but, alas, it never did happen. . .

Alfred Chamberlain
10-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Very cool. He must be a pretty old guy by now

He's 80, and totally on the ball, altho he clearly dies his hair! The event was sold out even tho there were no advance tix, and I went with a bunch of friends. We were all wondering what he was going to be like -- as most of us had assumed he was long dead, actually -- and the consensus was that he would do whatever the fuck he felt like doing. And we were exactly right. When he was done answering questions, he was abrubtly like, "Well, folks, I'm going to wrap it up there. Goodnight." And that was that.

He told amazing stories about Bobby Beausoleil, and went on the record about their being lovers and further biography. Most of the crowd clearly didn't realize who Bobby was, and were shocked that Anger's former lover and film-composer was in jail to this day for murder -- especially since he'd already mentioned the deaths of Donald Cammel and other film-world people the movie-savvy crowd knew. They neglected to realize Bobby was one of the most infamous murderers of the 20th century!

He also mentioned that the bikers in Scorpio Rising were not Hell's Angels or even in a motorcycle gang, but were just guys who had bikes as hobbies.

Just an incredible evening.

Tim Mayer
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Saw him at the Millennium Film Institute in Manhattan in 1983. He showed LUCIFER RISING and it blew me away.

Albert P
10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
As did I! I was there on Saturday and Sunday night. Although, on Saturday, I was one of the group of about 12 people that they "turned away." After much gnashing of teeth they went ahead and let us in to see Anger speak.

He definitely doesn't look like you'd expect an 80+ year old guy should look.

Besides meeting Stan Brakhage and one of the Vienna Aktionists (Hermann Nitsch), this is DEFINITELY THE cinematic event of my life.

Alfred Chamberlain
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
As did I! I was there on Saturday and Sunday night. Although, on Saturday, I was one of the group of about 12 people that they "turned away." After much gnashing of teeth they went ahead and let us in to see Anger speak.

He definitely doesn't look like you'd expect an 80+ year old guy should look.

Besides meeting Stan Brakhage and one of the Vienna Aktionists (Hermann Nitsch), this is DEFINITELY THE cinematic event of my life.

Had to miss Sunday -- the night of his newest work -- as I was out of town. He definitely looks great, but clearly dyes his hair black!

I love Nitsch and Brakhage too -- if you live in Boston, I wonder if we've crossed paths!?

Albert P
10-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Had to miss Sunday -- the night of his newest work -- as I was out of town. He definitely looks great, but clearly dyes his hair black! I love Nitsch and Brakhage too -- if you live in Boston, I wonder if we've crossed paths!?
Well I'm sort of a hermit that almost never leaves my garbage can, but when I do go out, it's for stuff like this. So there's a possibility that maybe we have been in the same room without knowing it.:)

Marc Edward Heuck
10-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Glad Anger was on his better behavior. His performance at Curtis Harrington's funeral, as depicted by my friend Lisa Jane Persky, was much more off-the-rails, though no less entertaining:

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/obituaries/645/curtis_harrington.html

Albert P
10-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Glad Anger was on his better behavior. His performance at Curtis Harrington's funeral, as depicted by my friend Lisa Jane Persky, was much more off-the-rails, though no less entertaining:

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/obituaries/645/curtis_harrington.html
Interesting article! I had always read that Anger was an insufferable drama queen, but yeah, I guess he was in a mellow mood that night.

Alfred Chamberlain
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Interesting article! I had always read that Anger was an insufferable drama queen, but yeah, I guess he was in a mellow mood that night.

He certainly had Haden Guest off balance for most of the Q&A, and that's the first time I've seen the cucumber-cool Guest off-kilter at all. And similar to the Curtis Harrington memorial service in the above article, Anger corrected Guest for not pronouncing "Crow-lee's" name properly. I can't remember the rhyme he used to teach the us how to remember it that night, but it was something like:

My name is Aleister Crowley/
And I am master of magic unholy

Pretty great.