PDA

View Full Version : Shriek Show DVD discs coming cracked...

Eric R.
10-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I was just curious if anyone body else had problems with Shriek Show DVDs that come with cracks around the center hole on the disc. It originally
started with Man From Deep River and I went through two DVDs that came cracked. The same happened with Anthropophagus. I just figured it was from the discs getting juggled around in the mail but I have also had it happen a with discs I bought from stores. I bought a box set that contained both The Dark and The Being and both discs came cracked. I returned it, bought The Dark separately and it also was cracked. I also ended up going through 3 copies of The Being before I just attempted to fix the crack with super glue and making a backup copy.

I hate cracks as I have had them move all the way through the disc to the foil section making the disc unplayable. I wonder if it's just bad DVD cases with firm push tabs in the center, quality control problems, or just cheap plastic. This just further makes Shriek Show a company I tend to hate more than love. Every time I buy a Shriek Show disc I feel like I'm taking a gamble on that it will either be defective or have cracks. Do I just have bad luck or have other people had problems with cracked discs?

Marshall Crist
10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I have had a couple of tiny cracks here and there (not just SS) and so far none have expanded. But that has always been a concern.

paul h.
10-11-2010, 12:23 AM
There's a dvd rental place here in town that I quit going to because the cases that they used tended to crack the discs. Too tight. In the shriek show instance, it could be a combination of manufacturer and case hubs, or maybe you have really strong fingers. :)

Luis Domenech
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I have come close to cracking a disc trying to remove it from the hub but thankfully I've never bought one already cracked. Scuffed, scratched and loose discs? Yes, plenty of times - I'm actually more afraid to encounter a scuffed disc than a cracked one. A cracked disc (if slight) will still play without problems.

Shane K
10-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I've experienced not only scratches and scuffs, but also fingerprints on new, sealed DVDs. The thing is that none of them were loose, the only explanation is that they were carelessly manhandled at the authorization house. Wear some fucking gloves for chrissakes, you dirty apes! Whenever this happens, I always exchange them. I'm not paying for something that is in a compromised condition. Cosmetic imperfections, fingerprints, and scratches are my pet peeves. It's the only thing you'll ever find me bitching about aside from those cheap ass eco friendly cases, which are a total crock of shit. I always have extra elite/viva style DVD and BD cases on hand, for when I have to switch them out. Thankfully I've never had a cracked spindle on a disc, aside from Manitou (which I bought new and sealed, as I do everything), which had a huge chunk missing from the spindle. It wasn't loose in the case or anyhting, ity simply was not there.