PDA

View Full Version : MGM HD is well worth the 8.95 a month!

Ian F
10-10-2010, 03:33 PM
With my DVD Recorder back and kicking ass (9 movies in two days), I figured it's time to get MGM HD. First thing is MGM HD is in the same tier as a sports package I have, so now I can get both for the price of one!

More germane is just how awesome this channel is! In the next 24 hours there are two Sho Kosugi Ninja movies (Pray for Death and Revenge of the Ninja), The Norsemen, Death Rides a Horse, Vincent Price, and the 1943 Revenge of the Zombies (1943) with John Carradine. The channel has already paid for itself!

It's now going to be a competition between recording programs from here and TCM! I just wish my recorder had a Hard Drive and a the ability to record anamorphic...well those are just minor complaints.

Steve R
10-10-2010, 05:34 PM
MGM HD used to be part of my package but last month, it was dropped from my line up. When I hit the channel now, I get an invitation to add it for more Moolah. I have been meaning to call to check with my provider(Fios Verizon)Despite the repetition, you are so right. There have been a lot of great titles shown. Gotta be patient, though. They had their dry spells.

Ian F
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
MGM HD used to be part of my package but last month, it was dropped from my line up. When I hit the channel now, I get an invitation to add it for more Moolah. I have been meaning to call to check with my provider(Fios Verizon)Despite the repetition, you are so right. There have been a lot of great titles shown. Gotta be patient, though. They had their dry spells.

Yeah, I'm only planning on keeping it for as long as good stuff appears. Granted I'm not thrilled with the ads. On the bright side at least the repetition will allow me to catch Revenge of the Ninja again.

The signal went out during Revenge of the Ninja for 8 minutes! So there is now a dead space of just black for on the copy! Oh well that's part of the adventures of taping off TV!

Matt Bauer
10-10-2010, 08:54 PM
To be honest, I was VERY underwhelmed with MGMHD after hearing so much about it when it was finally added to my package last year. I would look a week or more ahead and rarely find anything of interest. Yet in the last 2-3 months it's REALLY picked up, there's at least 2-3 films a week running on there that I'm interested in. Like you said, today I was excited about DVR'ing Pray for Death and Death Rides a Horse. And it looks like they're running some very good stuff through the end of the month too.

FYI, if you have Comcast (and it may be carried elsewhere too), Impact OnDemand runs a lot of the cheesier MGM fare in HD. For instance Revenge of the Ninja, Hammer, Slaughter and Enter the Ninja were on there a couple months back, and right now they have stuff like Friday Foster, L.A. Bounty and Sheba, Baby.

Troy Howarth
10-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Is Revenge of the Zombies out on DVD? I've always been curious to see that one.

Ian F
10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Is Revenge of the Zombies out on DVD? I've always been curious to see that one.

Not on an official one, I think its on Youtube. This version is also properly framed at 1:33:1, compared to other cable airings.

Dave Starry
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Two words...Roller - Boogie (in HD!).

Ryan O
10-13-2010, 06:44 PM
MGM HD and FX are pretty much the only reasons I still have DirecTV. I wish there was a way to just pay for those channels and nothing else.