PDA

View Full Version : A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss

KennethR
10-08-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcwm7

That's airing on BBC4, any UK members taping it? I'd love to try and snag a copy, it looks really cool and I doubt it will air here in the US

Phil B.
10-08-2010, 10:37 AM
That does look good.

That little video clip in that link had Romero, Sangster, Steele, Carpenter, and Corman. I wonder if it will be up for sale after broadcast.

Richard C
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll probably record it (if I remember!). Will have to work out how to connect my Sky+ to my DVD recorder but I'm sure it won't be too difficult.

KennethR
10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
If you manage to record it let me know, I'd like to work out a trade or something.

Thanks

Stefan A.
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
That video says it's not available in my area...weird. But one clip played for me and I saw Barbara Steele, so I'd definitely be interested. Wonder if they got Clive Barker, Stephen King and/or Peter Straub (the greatest horror writers alive) to appear.

Mark Meakin
10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
It was okay but an hour is not long enough to cover the 30s & 40s.Mark Gatiss went around the Universal sets including the opera one still standing from the 1925 version of Phantom Of The Opera.He also chatted to Sara Karloff & Gloria Stuart in what was probably her final interview.There were clips from Dracula & Frankenstein (naturally) as well as Mystery Of The Wax Museum among others.John Carpenter was interviewed during a segment on Val Lewton & I was surprised he did not rate the films he produced very much.Hammer & I also assume Amicus mainly next week for the 50s & 60s followed by a screening of one of my favourite Hammer films The Brides Of Dracula.

Jonny Redman
10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Wonder if they got Clive Barker, Stephen King and/or Peter Straub (the greatest horror writers alive) to appear.

I can't recall reading anything about them being in it. There's a basic overview of all three episodes in the press release...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/08_august/25/visualarts.shtml

League Of Gentlemen star and Doctor Who writer Mark Gatiss celebrates the horror film in a new three-part series for BBC Four.

Mark begins his exploration of the genre by looking at the golden age of Hollywood horror of the Thirties and Forties and examines some iconic pictures directed by Englishman James Whale (Frankenstein, The Old Dark House and Bride Of Frankenstein), who lent the films a camp sensibility, and populated them with a largely British ex-pat cast.

The second episode concentrates on the complete reinterpretation of the genre. In the 1958 remake of Dracula, the original vampire with heavy face and foul breath was gone and along came the Byronic Count in the shape of Christopher Lee, a bloodsucker of almost gentlemanly proportions. It was at this time that horror films turned from black and white to colour and began to feature an element of sex, tapping into an increasingly permissive society.

The last programme in the series explores the gritty and graphic new wave of horror cinema from Night Of The Living Dead in 1968 to the movie Halloween ten years later, the first of the great slew of slasher films which were to dominate the next decade. Mark details the shifts in the horror genre, and meets leading film-makers from the era.