PDA

View Full Version : Any other movies with an unrelenting atmosphere like Black Christmas?

Chris Laughren
10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Black Christmas has always been a favourite of mine, the thick atmosphere really gets to you but I've been unable to find any other movies on the same level as Black Christmas. Death Dream(Dead of night) and Sleepaway Camp are the closest I've been able to find...are there any others out there besides the typical(and frankly not really scary) horror movies?

Garrett Sorensen
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Nothing gets thicker than Planet of the Vampires and Kill Baby Kill for me. If you don't want Bava I would recommend Lemora, Paperhouse, Eraserhead, Dementia, Carnivasl of Souls, some of the Val Lewtons, Murnau's Faust and Sunrise.....hmmm, maybe too many to list really. Death Dream is unrelentingly grim atmosphere for sure though.

Randy Thomas G
10-09-2010, 09:09 AM
This seems very subjective, but MARTIN by Romero reminds me of Deathdream in terms of intensity and atmosphere.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's CURE is one of the most striking, unnerving and atmospheric modern horror films I've seen.

jack p sampson
10-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Diabolical Dr Z would fall in this category also.

Daniel S.S.
10-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I felt that way about The Exorcist, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Night of the Living Dead but I agree with Randy, highly subjective.