PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Tony Curtis

Thomas Hart
09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/01/movies/01curtis.html

It was the the first news item that came up this morning and I actually cried when I found out. I consider myself extremely lucky to has met him, if even for a moment.

May not have been considered one of the greatest actors, but god, did he make some great films (SOME LIKE IT HOT, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, THE GREAT RACE, SPARTACUS).

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
I hate to sound like a dick, but I can't say I was ever a fan - but he was terrific in The Boston Strangler and he did a neat uncredited cameo in Rosemary's Baby. RIP. :(

Jonathan Douglas
09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Goodnight, Danny Wilde. R.I.P. :(

Phil B.
09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Rest in peace Mr. Curtis. :(

Jonathan H.
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Damn...these headlines seem to be popping up at least once a day. I think I'll watch THE VIKINGS tonight as it's been sitting on my shelf for a little while now. For me, SOME LIKE IT HOT and THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS are the top of the heap so far as his film roles are concerned. Still need to check out THE BOSTON STRANGLER.

Lars Jacobsson
09-30-2010, 10:31 AM
R.I.P, Tony!
I'm watching OTHELLO, THE BLACK COMMAND tonight...

Alfred Chamberlain
09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

Goodbye Sidney Falco

Richard Anthony
09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
RIP Tony Curtis. A Hollywood Legend and a Great Actor. I loved his later work in Horror and Action Movies. He was Hilarious in the Horror/Comedies MIDNIGHT and LOBSTER MAN FROM MARS. The man was a Great Storyteller. I found myself reading his Biography one day and I couldn't put it down. He will be missed. RIP Tony.

Steve R
09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Years ago, I was running a meeting in New York. First week on the job, trying to look good. One of the people in it gets an urgent call, the guy has to be put through, he is calling from Hawaii. Who the hell is calling and interrupting our meeting?
It was Tony Curtis. Damn. I was so impressed. Sure take the call, that's Tony Curtis!

Ehren H.
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
A great actor who will be missed dearly. Vikings is one of my dad's favorite movies, saw it a lot as a kid. Need to watch it again. Wasn't Janet Leigh in it, as well?

Steve R
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
he did some great bio pics
The Boston Strangler
Houdini
The Great Imposter

Marshall Crist
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Saw SEX ON THE RUN at a downtown fleapit and it completely destroyed any preconceptions I had about Curtis.

He must have had quite a life. RIP.

Shane K
09-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Rest in peace Mr. Curtis.

Paul H
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
R.I.P. Tony:

Broke a Hollywood taboo in the 1950s by insisting that an African-American actor, Sidney Poitier, have co-starring billing next to him in the movie The Defiant Ones (1958).

Appears on sleeve of The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

David Lopez
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I just watched him the other day in the gawd-awful THE MANITOU.

RIP.

RichardDoyle
09-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I hate to sound like a dick, but I can't say I was ever a fan - but he was terrific in The Boston Strangler and he did a neat uncredited cameo in Rosemary's Baby. RIP. :(

He's also very good in "Sweet Smell of Success"

Jonathan Douglas
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Turns up uncredited in CHAMBER OF HORRORS (1966) also. Love THE GREAT RACE (1965) with him and Lemmon together again, a big dumb fun loud long spectacle, Peter Falk's great in this too.

<object width="425" height="264"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsoZI6HIErI?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsoZI6HIErI?fs=1&amp;hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="264"></embed></object>

Phil B.
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Love THE GREAT RACE (1965) with him and Lemmon together again, a big dumb fun loud long spectacle, Peter Falk's great in this too.

One of my guilty pleasures as well, especially on lazy weekend afternoons...Push The Button Max!

Jim R.
09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I remember Tony's voice in an episode of THE FLINTSTONES as "Stony Curtis". I'll also champion the film BRAINWAVES, although I understand Tony was stoned out of his mind during the making of this movie! Not very good was a movie I think was called THE MUMMY LIVES. But if you've ever wanted to hear a mummy speak in a Egyptian-by-the-way-of-the-Bronx accent, here's your movie!

Russ F
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
he was terrific in The Boston Strangler

Indeed he was. I'd enjoyed Curtis in many other films, but it was Strangler that convinced me he could be a great actor. Not to slight his talents, but I wonder what inspired him to give such an intense, poignant performance in this film...?

Robert Simon
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Was lucky enough to meet him at Chiller a few years ago. Even though he was in a wheelchair he got there about an hour early and stayed forever, as the real Hollywood stars do. They appreciate their fans. I was thrilled to talk to him about "Some Like It Hot" and have the DVD signed by him as a cool remembrance. RIP Sir.

David Steigman
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I also am a Tony Curtis fan and I will miss him. My favorite film with him is Some Like It Hot..
But I also like the Manitou..
Farewell Tony, you will be missed ...

Mark Meakin
10-01-2010, 05:41 AM
I also am a Tony Curtis fan and I will miss him. My favorite film with him is Some Like It Hot..
But I also like the Manitou..
Farewell Tony, you will be missed ...
He was also terrific in Spartacus & The Vikings.RIP Tony.

Emanuele Sheriff
10-01-2010, 07:13 PM
A legend! Fabulous in Sweet Smell of Success, The Boston Strangler and Some Like it Hot. I also grew up watching him here in the UK in the early 70's on The Persuaders with Roger Moore. AND Jamie Lee is a product of his loins, so respect and farewell!

Zane C.
10-01-2010, 07:53 PM
RIP, Mr. Curtis.

Was never a big fan, but sad to hear this anyway...not too many older Hollywood actors left, and now's there's one fewer. :(