PDA

View Full Version : A modern movie goers state of mind

jack p sampson
09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I know a person who is so used to watching reality shows and other current fare that its virtually impossible for them to watch a movie that is not interrupted by commercials. I saw them watching Guns of Navarone once and they actually talked back to the tv screen during the mountain climbing sequence and said hurry up,climb faster,lol. amazing. nothing new here,just a comment and an observation.

Jason Lee
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
One of the reasons I stay home rather than go to the theaters these days...

Amy B
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
One of the reasons I stay home rather than go to the theaters these days...
Same here. That, and I'm not impressed with a lot of the crap that's coming out these days, or I'm getting old and curmudgeonly.

I do think reality TV is changing people's attention span and how they react to entertainment, though.

Andy Copp
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I finally got out and saw INCEPTION a couple of weeks ago (which I loved BTW) and we literally had to change seats because the teenager that ended up sitting right next to us (on a Tuesday night no less) wouldn't turn off the texting.

When I saw the Elm St. Remake I had to get an usher (a rarity to even find these days) and have the group of women behind me told to shut up or asked to leave because they came right as the movie started, continued to talk about the hamburgers they had ate, talked back to the movie, each other etc. LOUD non stop for a solid half hour. No one else in the theater said anything or even seemed to notice was the weird thing. One of them was even talking about how she hated scary movies! So bitch WHY WERE YOU EVEN THERE?!

mark t
09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
A lot of it is the whole lack of ushers thing. Notice when the whole "laser pen" fad was going on, motherfuckers were stacked 6 deep at the front of the theatre during the new Star Wars films to turf out anyone who shone a light on the screen. Once Lucas left town, he took the ushers with him. Nobody cares. Go complain to some kid working the popcorn stand these days (who doubles as the shift manager), and you'll get blank stares.

When he's done texting.

Andy Copp
09-30-2010, 08:25 PM
For that Elm St. Fiasco I was at a Reagal theater and to my shock and awe they did actually do something. The women then in turn complained that my seat was too far back and in their way but the usher told them that was how the seat was made and they had to deal with it! So once in a while they can get it right.

We've started sitting in the seats way near the front. In the stadium seating arrangement those are the ones in FRONT of the main walk ways that hardly anyone sits in. It has made a difference as no one really sits there and we are hardly disturbed.

Werner Von Wallenrod
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm a bit of a multitasker myself, so I get texting during a movie... But talking over a movie so you (or other people, of course!) can't even hear it, just seems strange. Like, why did you even pay to go in then?

Randy Thomas G
10-01-2010, 12:37 AM
I think people have always been stupid and rude but it's the absence of ushers that have made the difference. Still love seeing a film in a real theatre though, nothing can replace that experience, but mostly I now wait for films to play the local university arthouse theatre where I can watch it in peace.

Amy B
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
When I saw the Elm St. Remake I had to get an usher (a rarity to even find these days) and have the group of women behind me told to shut up or asked to leave because they came right as the movie started, continued to talk about the hamburgers they had ate, talked back to the movie, each other etc. LOUD non stop for a solid half hour. No one else in the theater said anything or even seemed to notice was the weird thing. One of them was even talking about how she hated scary movies! So bitch WHY WERE YOU EVEN THERE?!
See, that's what I mean. That's why I rarely see movies in theaters. I think the last one I saw was 30 Days of Night, and that was because 2 of my friends dragged me there. And there was a group of moronic teenagers who would not shut up right behind us. Messing with phones annoys me, too. If you wanna mess with your phone, I think you should just go out in the lobby. They were not just texting, but talking to their neighbors about whatever they were texting. Loudly. Argh.

Even as kids, I don't think we were nearly as bad as the people I've seen in theaters lately. At least I understood that when you go to the theater, you're supposed to sit down and shut up until it's over.

Luis Domenech
10-01-2010, 12:12 PM
God, the horror stories! Here's mine: A guy two seats across from me (in the same row) was snuggled into his chair and barefoot (either the food he was eating or his feet were smelling) and spent 97% of the screening of Buried texting. Sometimes I think people just go to the movies because it's the only place they can text in peace. Fucking imbeciles.

Matt D
10-01-2010, 12:20 PM
What cinemas are you lot going to? I choose to only frequent independent/arthouses which means I generally get a good crowd. I avoid multiplexes like the plague, which is where these morons normally flock to.

Other than that, I don't hold back telling people to shut up, first a look, then a shhh and if they persist, a simple "can you please be quiet" normally sorts the problem.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I still enjoy going to the movies. To me, the home cinema experience just isn't the same. I enjoy the "ritual" of going out and sharing an experience on the big screen. Some will disagree and that's OK - but they'll never convince me that the best home theatre set-up can replace the enjoyment that I, personally, get from going out and seeing a movie at the theatre. Are there occasional assholes to contend with? Sure. But my experience has been fine, by and large. Again, that's just me.

Keith B.
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I've enjoyed a very long streak of seeing movies without any assholes bothering me.....which means that I'm probably due for the most annoying experience of my life. Karma works like that.

Isaac K.
10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I hardly ever go to the movies mainly due to cost. Back in the mid 80s when the average ticket price was roughly the equivalent of a home movie rental I used to go almost every week. Today a movie ticket costs at least twice as much. It's just no longer affordable to do on a regular basis. But when I do go I rarely if ever see the kinds of behavior you guys describe. Maybe folks are naturally better behaved during matinees?

RichardDoyle
10-01-2010, 05:27 PM
See, that's what I mean. That's why I rarely see movies in theaters. I think the last one I saw was 30 Days of Night, and that was because 2 of my friends dragged me there. And there was a group of moronic teenagers who would not shut up right behind us. Messing with phones annoys me, too. If you wanna mess with your phone, I think you should just go out in the lobby. They were not just texting, but talking to their neighbors about whatever they were texting. Loudly. Argh.

Even as kids, I don't think we were nearly as bad as the people I've seen in theaters lately. At least I understood that when you go to the theater, you're supposed to sit down and shut up until it's over.

I think a lot of it has to do with how often people watch movies at home now. People are used to sitting in their living room and talking to the folks they are watching with. You don't see the same behavior in other settings like live theater.

RichardDoyle
10-01-2010, 05:30 PM
What cinemas are you lot going to? I choose to only frequent independent/arthouses which means I generally get a good crowd. I avoid multiplexes like the plague, which is where these morons normally flock to.

Other than that, I don't hold back telling people to shut up, first a look, then a shhh and if they persist, a simple "can you please be quiet" normally sorts the problem.

Actually, I have encountered far worse audience behavior at our local arthouse theatre than I have in multiplexes. Some idiot couple yacked through the first ten minutes of "Antichrist" before I finally had to tell them to shut up.

I agree though ... I have never encountered anyone who doesn;t respond to a stern request to knock it the hell off.

Keith B.
10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Maybe folks are naturally better behaved during matinees?

I have found this to be pretty true.....I mostly go to matinees, to avoid crowds and also escape paying 10-12 bucks for a single ticket, and I find them not only sparsely attended (which is good) but the people seem much more respectful of others. Maybe it's because only true movie fans are willing to make such an early time?

Robert F
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I think I was watching the Prom Night remake when a group of local teens being loud and making fun of the movie actually made the experience more entertaining.

But overall I rarely go to the movies and when I do it's a real treat, a little jabber doesn't bother as much as it used to. People are tend to be okay.

C.A. Hall
10-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Kids... I work at a movie theater that is surrounded by schools so a lot of our business depends on pre-teens and teens. Social Network was unfortunately rated PG-13 so naturally a lot of teenagers "wanted to see it". Sometimes I usher and I can honestly say that we do the best that we can. As a matter of fact, kicking kids out and telling them off, brightens up our nights...

One week we were showing a PG-13 Horror movie whose name escapes me. The General manager decided to show the movie in two theaters at the same time and designated one theater for teens and another for adults. Brilliant.