PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Arthur Penn

Paul H
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Bonnie and Clyde, Night Moves, nuff said:

Arthur Penn, the stage, television and motion picture director whose revolutionary treatment of sex and violence in the 1967 film “Bonnie and Clyde” transformed the American film industry, died Tuesday night at his home in Manhattan, the day after he turned 88.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/movies/30penn.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&src=twt&twt=nytimes

Steve R
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I saw this quote in an obit,

As a boy, Penn had little success learning the watchmaker's trade from his father, who died without having seen any of his son's films.
"He went to his grave despairing I would never find my way in the world," the director said, "and the movies rescued me."

Jonathan H.
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Such a great career...out of his film work, NIGHT MOVES remains my favorite.

paul h.
09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I've always liked his films. I wish he had directed even more. Rest in peace.

Daniel M
09-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Sally Menke and Arthur Penn on the same day? Brutal.

Rest In Peace.

Shane K
09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Night Moves is one my personal favorites. Everything in it just clicks perfectly. God bless you Arthur, and may you forever rest in peace.

Jason Lee
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Coincidentally , just this week started to read the book EASY RIDERS RAGING BULLS by Peter Biskind in which Penn features prominently...and not always in a good light either!

Brett Evans
09-30-2010, 03:27 AM
I've always liked his films. I wish he had directed even more. Rest in peace.

Agreed. He didn't really make much worthy of note from the mid-80's onwards.

My favorite would probably be LITTLE BIG MAN ....

R.I.P

Ehren H.
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Ack!!!

Bonnie & Clyde was a childhood favorite, and I recently saw it again on Blu for the first time in maybe a decade. Blew me away again.

R.I.P. Mr. Penn

I got paid today, I'm gonna pick up Night Moves. I never saw it, but I'm rarely steered wrong on here.

Alfred Chamberlain
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I was flipping around last night and watched the final 30 minutes of Days of Heaven (for the hundreth time) on TCM. Afterward, they did one of their classy montage tributes to Penn, and that's how I heard about his passing.

I saw him speak last year at the no-concessions Harvard Film Archive and he was as clear-eyed and crisp as a 50-something. I believe he spoke between and after screenings of Night Moves and Mickey One (the latter of which I believe is his lost masterwork). As always at these types of events, there's at least one freak in the audience, and this one attempted to ask about the nubile Melanie Griffith's nude scenes -- she was 16 or so during filming -- but could only get out something like "Melanie...Griffith....she was...she was....how was it working with....teenage....breasts." And Penn's masterful answer, which both appeased the freak, diffused the situation, and ended that particular line of questions: "She was a gift to us all."

From Mickey One to Missouri Breaks, a decade of classics. Rest in peace.

David F
09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
First Penn, then Tony Curtis. We are losing too many good people.

Jonathan H.
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
As always at these types of events, there's at least one freak in the audience, and this one attempted to ask about the nubile Melanie Griffith's nude scenes -- she was 16 or so during filming -- but could only get out something like "Melanie...Griffith....she was...she was....how was it working with....teenage....breasts." And Penn's masterful answer, which both appeased the freak, diffused the situation, and ended that particular line of questions: "She was a gift to us all."

Love it! That's up there with the guy I saw earn the wrath of Margot Kidder by asking her about SUPERMAN III during a SISTERS screening.

Incidentally, those scenes with Melanie are Grade-A--hadn't realized she was under 18 then, but checking IMDb, it seems she was. Better get your copies of NIGHT MOVES on DVD before someone catches on and they pull it from the shelves...

At a festival screening of EN LA CAMA starring Blanca Lewin (see below), another freak who still lives in his mommy's basement, threw out a semi-articulate question about her extensive nudity in the film and tied it to the outfit she was wearing at the screening, which he found revealing and to his liking.
http://www.emol.com/especiales/teleseries_07/fotos/lewin.jpg