PDA

View Full Version : 'THE SOCIAL NETWORK' (Fincher)

Aaron G
09-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Seems to be getting some killer reviewers from non-sucky reviewers and looks like another Fincher master work, written by the West Wing's Aaron Sorkin, looks like a quality production:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/facebook-movie-built-to-pick-a-fight-says-sorkin-20100927-15t86.html

While we all argue about has-beens like Scorsese and Mann, it seems that Fincher is quickly becoming the film-maker of this age with every movie.

I've got high expectations for this film, any Maniacs seen it yet?

mark t
09-28-2010, 08:16 AM
I was not a fan of BENJAMIN BUTTON. I liked Eisenberg in SQUID AND THE WHALE and ZOMBIELAND, but his style grates on my nerves. Despite the fact that this "looks" like a Fincher film, the subject matter holds zero interest for me.

John G.
09-28-2010, 08:51 AM
I've got to echo Mark's sentiments on this one... looks very dull. Ironically, when it comes to aging "name" filmmakers, WALL STREET 2 looks to be more cutting edge.

mark t
09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I had no interest in the first WALL STREET, but I am interested in seeing it now, along with the followup. :)

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll take that "has been" Scorsese over Fincher any day (not to turn this into a contest, but Aaron did go out of his way to say that ;) ) - I think this looks rather dull, to be honest, but I will see it.

Wostry Ferenc
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Never liked any of his films.

Ray Kanne
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Not even Zodiac, Wostry?

Ray Kanne
09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I like some of Fincher's work but he's pretty hit and miss really. I have absolutely no interest in this new film though. I can't for the life of me figure out why he would want to make something this boring and overtly mainstream. I'm sure it will do well with the all the people hooked on facebook no matter how it turns out. From what I've heard the film is nowhere close to being accurate to the real life story it's trying to tell.

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Zodiac had the advantage of a great script, which shouldn't be underestimated. He's a gifted stylist, but I don't always click with the subject matter he elects to film. Zodiac is far and away his best film, followed by Seven. The Game and Panic Room are fun, superficial thrillers. I don't care for the rest of his work.

Wostry Ferenc
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Not even Zodiac, Wostry?

It's boring and it looks like everything was poured coffee over it.

I remember seeing SEVEN and laughed through the whole thing. I mean where does it rain all the time???

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
London? :D

John G.
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
You won't find me complaining about SE7EN and ZODIAC... both are fantastic, particularly the latter.

Ray Kanne
09-28-2010, 11:30 AM

I remember seeing SEVEN and laughed through the whole thing. I mean where does it rain all the time???

Nowhere I suppose but here where I live it actually rains almost all of the time. There are examples of other cities like this as well. That said I'm not a big fan of Seven either. I really liked Zodiac though and wasn't bored even once during it's running time and I wasn't bored when watching it again via the director's cut either. To each their own I guess.

mark t
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I like SE7EN and ZODIAC. I still like FIGHT CLUB very much and enjoyed bits of PANIC ROOM. Didn't like BENJAMIN BUTTON, as I've said.

the thing that confuses me about this is, yes, Facebook is huge, Social Networking has been big for awhile, BUT....how can you expect a film about this subject matter to be relevant in say, 10 years time? Kinda setting yourself up for a movie that will have absolutely zero importance down the line.

Wostry Ferenc
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I find his visual style extremely one track, sallI'msayin.

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't buy that argument, I'm afraid. Films SHOULD reflect the times in which they were made. This is a big part of contemporary society, and while it may well change or completely vanish down the line, I don't think that's any reason, in itself, to think it a bad choice of material. I just don't like the looks of the cast, and truthfully the concept itself doesn't sound so much "irrelevant" as it does just, well, dull.

mark t
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
While I agree with you, Troy, the "dull" part is what I'm referring to. Sure, films should reflect the times in which they're made. However, a movie about Facebook is about as inspiring as a movie about.....I don't know, something else from this time period that nobody will care about down the line.

Like a movie being made about POGS.

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
We're pretty much in agreement, then... Maybe we need a film where the characters converse in text speak... "LOL!" "OMG!"

mark t
09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
We're pretty much in agreement, then... Maybe we need a film where the characters converse in text speak... "LOL!" "OMG!"

I am ROTFLMAO as we speak.

Adam L
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Zodiac had the advantage of a great script, which shouldn't be underestimated.

The script for The Social Network is absolutely tremendous. Having seen the movie, it's almost word for word the same as Sorkin's 2009 draft floating around the internet.

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
The script for The Social Network is absolutely tremendous. Having seen the movie, it's almost word for word the same as Sorkin's 2009 draft floating around the internet.

Well, that certainly bodes well for it, then. I'll be checking it out.

RichardDoyle
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I've got to echo Mark's sentiments on this one... looks very dull. Ironically, when it comes to aging "name" filmmakers, WALL STREET 2 looks to be more cutting edge.

Good lord ... Oliver Stone is almost 20 years older than Fincher. Fincher is still in his 40's.

RichardDoyle
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Almost anywhere on the east or west coast.

RichardDoyle
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
The way folks are talking, you'd think this was "Facebook: The Movie", which would indeed be a rather puzzling concept. When you're talking about the founding of a massively successful company that became worth billions in less than 5 years, with accusations of theft and deception surrounding it's early days, I'm not sure why this sounds boring to folks.

Adam L
09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
The way folks are talking, you'd think this was "Facebook: The Movie", which would indeed be a rather puzzling concept. When you're talking about the founding of a massively successful company that became worth billions in less than 5 years, with accusations of theft and deception surrounding it's early days, I'm not sure why this sounds boring to folks.

The Facebook movie is Catfish (http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/?p=5878). The Social Network is much larger, smarter, more ambitious, funnier, and surprisingly succinct. I can't link to my review before Thursday (when it appears in a local paper), but I can say that other than being hampered by the PG-13 rating, the movie far exceeds expectations.

Troy Howarth
09-28-2010, 05:37 PM

What can I say? What sounds exciting to one person doesn't necessarily sound exciting to another person. That said, Adam's enthusiastic response does give me room to hope - it sounds like it has a solid foundation, which will help.

Aaron G
09-29-2010, 06:00 AM
How can you not be interested in a film about the fucken Internet, the place where you are right now, and how it has twisted and changed the way humanity in the whiteman's world works, made by one of the best contemporary filmic stylists, and a talented screenwriter??? Sounds pretty EXCITING to me!! I thought Fincher was a tryhard with 7even, haven't seen the Game, Fight Club was interesting, Panic Room was good to look at, Zodiac a masterwork, Benjamin Button was meh, but looked good. I've grown to like Fincher's style, I think it's improved, and when he has good material is a modern American director who is really pushing the envelope of modern cinema form, not rehashing past glories like Scorsese and Mann (though Mann still experiments and takes risks). I prefer a director I initially though was a bum or show pony evolve into something else, than some supposed 'master' that basks in his past glories. That is DULL personified!

Your all conservatives!

Mike S.
09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
...WALL STREET 2 looks to be more cutting edge.

Not even close.

WS2 has no teeth/balls/whatever. It has nothing to say, and is one of those movies where you leave the theater thinking "why did someone bother to make this?"

mark t
09-29-2010, 08:44 AM

I'll tell you why it seems boring to me, based on the trailer....the font of the title is similar to that of Facebook. The word "facebook" is mentioned numerous times. The accusations of theft are mentioned for what, a half second? The rest of the trailer is beer, Eisenberg deadpanning in his deadpanning style, and people making out.

Granted, this is a summary of the trailer, and granted, a good or bad trailer doesn't define a good or bad film. But that's why it seems boring, and that's why I think that this is "Facebook: The Movie"

Troy Howarth
09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
How can you not be interested in a film about the fucken Internet, the place where you are right now, and how it has twisted and changed the way humanity in the whiteman's world works, made by one of the best contemporary filmic stylists, and a talented screenwriter??? Sounds pretty EXCITING to me!! I thought Fincher was a tryhard with 7even, haven't seen the Game, Fight Club was interesting, Panic Room was good to look at, Zodiac a masterwork, Benjamin Button was meh, but looked good. I've grown to like Fincher's style, I think it's improved, and when he has good material is a modern American director who is really pushing the envelope of modern cinema form, not rehashing past glories like Scorsese and Mann (though Mann still experiments and takes risks). I prefer a director I initially though was a bum or show pony evolve into something else, than some supposed 'master' that basks in his past glories. That is DULL personified!

Your all conservatives!

And you sound like a total poseur! But I guess that's your style. :D

John G.
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Good lord ... Oliver Stone is almost 20 years older than Fincher. Fincher is still in his 40's.
Fincher's been making movies for almost two decades now... I think that constitutes an "aging" filmmaker.

Troy Howarth
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Let's split the baby and agree to call them "veterans." :D

RichardDoyle
09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Fincher's been making movies for almost two decades now... I think that constitutes an "aging" filmmaker.

Everybody's "aging", but if you call someone an "aging filmmaker" you're implying that they are old. 48 isn't old.

64 is certainly getting there.

Ray Kanne
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Let's split the baby and agree to call them "veterans." :D

But isn't "veteran" most often reserved for people or things that have a career of 30 years or more?;):D

Troy Howarth
09-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Damn you, Kanne - damn you straight to hell!!

Ray Kanne
09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
:D:D:D

Aaron G
09-29-2010, 06:46 PM
And you sound like a total poseur! But I guess that's your style. :D

You just know you're gonna love the Facebook movie. I'm gonna bet the farm on it! Feh!

Daniel M
09-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I saw a screening last Wednesday. I'm a Fincher buff to begin with, and it exceeded expectations.

Troy Howarth
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
You just know you're gonna love the Facebook movie. I'm gonna bet the farm on it! Feh!

Just for that, I'm gonna make a point to despise it! It seems to me Fincher is repeating himself here in the same way that Shutter Island was a clear cut case of Scorsese revisiting Mean Streets!

:D

Aaron G
09-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Just for that, I'm gonna make a point to despise it! It seems to me Fincher is repeating himself here in the same way that Shutter Island was a clear cut case of Scorsese revisiting Mean Streets!

More like CAPE FEAR!

M Sanderson
09-30-2010, 05:10 AM
We're pretty much in agreement, then... Maybe we need a film where the characters converse in text speak... "LOL!" "OMG!"i thought the point of the film was about the way in which the main guy cannot connect properly with all those ppl around him, not about computer screens. as with facebook where you have 100s of friends but only probably ever see a small fraction of them. seems to be about social problems. surely this would link it to fincher's own anti-thrille ZODIAC and his upcoming remake of GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. seems to me like fincher is onto something with these films and perhaps discovering his identity as a filmmaker. the cerebral drama of ZODIAC has a chance to develop in this next film.

Randy Thomas G
09-30-2010, 06:00 AM
I've read some very good things about this from reliable sources. I'm lookng forward to it.

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
i thought the point of the film was about the way in which the main guy cannot connect properly with all those ppl around him, not about computer screens. as with facebook where you have 100s of friends but only probably ever see a small fraction of them. seems to be about social problems. surely this would link it to fincher's own anti-thrille ZODIAC and his upcoming remake of GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. seems to me like fincher is onto something with these films and perhaps discovering his identity as a filmmaker. the cerebral drama of ZODIAC has a chance to develop in this next film.

You may well be right. The only thing I was commenting on before was the concept of a film about the origins of Facebook - which, sorry, simply doesn't interest me. But if Fincher is on form and working from a really well developed script, it should pan out very well.

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
More like CAPE FEAR!

My God, yes... it's a clear CARBON COPY!!!

Chad Haden
09-30-2010, 08:39 AM
The gf and her friend want to see this, I'll probably go just for shits and giggles but I'd rather sit at home and watch Dolemite

Ray Kanne
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Indeed!!!! I would dare say it's a shot for shot remake with only a few rather small instances of difference. In fact I think two words in the script were modernized and that's it.

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Indeed!!!! I would dare say it's a shot for shot remake with only a few rather small instances of difference. In fact I think two words in the script were modernized and that's it.

And I fell for it, thinking it was something very different indeed. What a fool I am... I feel USED!

M Sanderson
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
You may well be right. The only thing I was commenting on before was the concept of a film about the origins of Facebook - which, sorry, simply doesn't interest me. But if Fincher is on form and working from a really well developed script, it should pan out very well.ebert addresses this point in his review:

It hurtles through two hours of spellbinding dialogue. It makes an untellable story clear and fascinating. It is said to be impossible to make a movie about a writer, because how can you show him only writing? It must also be impossible to make a movie about a computer programmer, because what is programming but writing in a language few people in the audience know? Yet Fincher and his writer, Aaron Sorkin, are able to explain the Facebook phenomenon in terms we can immediately understand, which is the reason 500 million of us have signed up.

To conceive of Facebook, Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) needed to know almost nothing about relationships or human nature (and apparently he didn't). What he needed was the ability to intuit a way to involve the human race in the Kevin Bacon Game. Remember that Kevin Bacon himself need not know more than a fraction of the people linking through him. Same on Facebook. I probably know 40 of my Facebook friends well, 100 glancingly, 200 by reputation. All the others are friends of friends. I can't remember the last time I received a Friend Request from anyone I didn't share at least one "Mutual Friend" with.

i honestly think it sounds excellent, for ppl who are into ZODIAC and might want to see some of the ideas developed.

Ray Kanne
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
And I fell for it, thinking it was something very different indeed. What a fool I am... I feel USED!

I as well compadre, USED and ABUSED.

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Ray - Yep, I think I might cry now... :(

M Sanderson - Very interesting review; Ebert is, I think, one of the most interesting and insightful critics - I don't always agree with him, but he does know his stuff and he tends to be thoughtful.

M Sanderson
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM
he really can't be arsed with horror though, can he?

good reviewer of thrillers, i've always felt. he has good things to say about ZODIAC.

oh, and he is to werner herzog what mark kermode is to THE EXORCIST

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
He's very keen on a lot of directors I admire, including Herzog, Scorsese and Polanski (though he despises The Tenant). He raved about Halloween but tended to dismiss much of Carpenter's subsequent work - though he DID give Escape from LA and Ghosts of Mars great reviews, funnily enough.

RichardDoyle
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM

You mean the one with Denzel Washington?

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey, come to think of it... I think Scorsese was cashing in on that one, too!

Paul Casey
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
CARBON COPY is hysterical.

Troy Howarth
09-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Haven't seen it in years, but I do remember liking it.

Adam L
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
A review (http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/?p=5891). At least, the longer than the newspaper version.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Interesting review... it's a pity they went for PG-13; it sounds like it does hurt the film on the whole.

mark t
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
With the marketing of this as (sorry, Richard), FACEBOOK: THE MOVIE, why would anyone attempt a hard R or NC-17? of course it's going to be a PG13.....that's more than likely the age group that are going to see it. Whether or not it's clever or more insightful than its marketing campaign, cut the teens out of the audience, and I doubt you'd see very high receipts for this one.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Not sure I follow your logic, Mark. We're talking a David Fincher film here, not a Disney flick. Since when can't teens get in to see R rated fare, anyway? I sure as hell did.

mark t
10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Not sure I follow your logic, Mark. We're talking a David Fincher film here, not a Disney flick. Since when can't teens get in to see R rated fare, anyway? I sure as hell did.

The logic is that Joe movie-goer isn't going to say, "Wow, Fincher's back". They're going to say, "Hey, Facebook movie". The studio is going to look at it and say, "let's market this as a Facebook movie, people love Facebook". In that same breath, somebody is going to say, "The kids will love it. All of these kids love Facebook. I know it.....I've got one or two myself". Then they're going to market it to, and rate it for that age group.

If you can come up with another reason that they would go for a PG-13, including, as Adam's review mentions, clumsily dodging R-rated obstacles, lay it on me.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Of course the average viewer isn't going to give a damn about Fincher. I can't imagine the average movie goer being all that excited about this concept, period. I'm saying the studio figured they'd get more asses in the seats with PG-13 as opposed to an R - and I think that's an instance of harming the end result in that regard, at least based on what Adam is saying.

mark t
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Of course the average viewer isn't going to give a damn about Fincher. I can't imagine the average movie goer being all that excited about this concept, period. I'm saying the studio figured they'd get more asses in the seats with PG-13 as opposed to an R - and I think that's an instance of harming the end result in that regard, at least based on what Adam is saying.

So, what logic of mine aren't you following? :D Add "because more teens will care about a Facebook movie than adults, and a more mature rating might hurt that attendance", and you've got exactly what I was saying. I'm not saying that it was good, I'm just lending an opinion of why they might've gone for the PG-13 instead of an R.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 12:24 PM
See, I thought you were saying it was the logical move since only kids will be interested in such a film. :)

mark t
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
No. That's not what I was saying at all. :P

RichardDoyle
10-01-2010, 04:20 PM
With the marketing of this as (sorry, Richard), FACEBOOK: THE MOVIE ...

CURSES!!!

Aaron G
10-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I couldn't give a shit about how the film is marketed, as long as it's a good film and from initial reports from smart, non-fuckwit critics, it sounds like a compelling, interesting film that isn't just overwrought hype with some mind-boggling set-pieces like fucking INCEPTION.

From reports it sounds like a fucked up John Hughes movie about douche-bags. I'll take that and Fincher's CGI-noir-nhilistic-Kubrick bullshit or whatever the nerds call it!

Paul Casey
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
It's been a while since I saw the trailer (well, since it came out, I guess), but I remember the commercials for Fight Club just basically showing people fighting. I laughed that one off until someone whose opinion I trusted told me it was awesome.

cworkman
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
This movie looks interesting, and I'm interested enough in Fincher's work to give it a shot. I have a feeling that it's going to be the number one movie this weekend; it's opening in more theatres than any other new release, is getting a major push from its studio, and is getting the best reviews of just about any movie this year. None of that means it's great, of course, but it gives me some hope that it's at least good (and probably will generate some Oscar buzz).

Daniel M
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
The best thing I've seen in a multiplex in 2010.

I'm a card-carrying member of the David Fincher Cult though, so read into that what you will.

CarterStevens
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Everybody is talking Fincher but it was written by Aaron Fuckin' Sorkin, which is enough to get my ass planted in a seat whenever it reaches here in the sticks.

Kevin H
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I thought this was brilliant. Easily the best film I've seen this year.

I can't wait to watch this again. I do believe the PG-13 conceit hurt the film, that would be my only minor complaint. Other than that...near perfection.

This is right up there with Zodiac as Fincher's best film.
His direction of Sorkin's script is something to behold. Not a wasted shot and all the beats perfect.

Wow.

Larry Wilson
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I loved it too. Driving to the theater, I wasn't very enthusiastic. How could a movie about the founding of Facebook be any good? Man, was I wrong. Not only one of the best films of the year, it was by far the most entertaining. It's the second film this year with an indelible last image, the first being Inception (ducks from all the virtual rocks being thrown). And the topping on the cake -- the use of Baby, You're a Rich Man during the closing credits. It doesn't get more perfect than that. :D

Kamyar
10-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm kind of torn. First of all, I'm opposed to any of that Internet shit that's going on, it's way too 1984 for my liking. The actors in this movie are all complete jackasses as well, hate Timberlake, hate that dude from Zombieland and hate the new Spider-Man. It's kind of like "The Skulls", a bunch of douchebags playing spoiled Harvard-dicks is not my kind of fun.

But the movie is very well made, has some interesting ideas that go beneathe the surface of the whole superficial Facebook hoo-ha, but then again it's just a modern-day version of the 80's Yuppie film essentially. The whole society is resembling the mid/late-80's at the moment anyway, so it's the perfect film for this generation. Hedonistc, egotistical, superficial.

Alex K.
10-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I loved the trailer. Thought it was brilliant. Have yet to see the movie.

Wostry Ferenc
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
A technically well made film that I couldn't give two shits about. Just like about all of Fincher's films.

Also, just before The Social Network I've watched THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES, this year's foreign-Oscar winner, and it's such a much more accomplished film on every level that The SocNet couldn't even compare.

Aaron G
11-16-2010, 06:32 AM
I just saw THE SOCIAL NETWORK, and thought it was fucking brilliant, and will more than likely win Fincher his first Oscar and probably get one for Aaron Sorkin, and maybe even Justin Timberlake!

Kinda felt like a jizzed-up version of WALL STREET, CITIZEN KANE, but for this generation, another fine fuck-you to crapitalism. Really taps into the Gen-Y zeitgeist of greedy, rockstar-wannabe fuckheadness and the artificiality of it all linked in with all the fucken computer shit - I shouldn't complain because the fucken computer shit has paid off my mortgage and sent me on world trips, even landed me up in this 'place'!

It's a great film, a great example of modern American cinema working on all cylinders. I loved it. Makes me feel dirty now whenever I use Facebook!

Terry Carpenter
11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
and maybe even Justin Timberlake!

Don't say such foolish things.

Aaron G
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Don't say such foolish things.

It's American culture we're talking about here, not Shakespeare.

The film should be retitled: DOUCHEBOOK the movie - this is what you want, this is what you get! (and a $100million lawsuit to Johnny Lydon for using his song ...)

RichardDoyle
11-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I thought Timberlake was very good, but I really think an Oscar nom should go to Jesse Einsenberg. Her really showed a new side of himself and did it without being very showy.

cworkman
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm not a fan of his music, but Justin Timberlake is proving himself to be a very versatile and gifted actor. He's been very good in everything I've seen him in. (And no, that doesn't mean that all the films themselves were very good.)

Aaron G
11-18-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm not a fan of his music, but Justin Timberlake is proving himself to be a very versatile and gifted actor. He's been very good in everything I've seen him in. (And no, that doesn't mean that all the films themselves were very good.)

Yeah I'm starting to like him more than that other douche Marky Mark who is quickly turning into the new Sylvester Stallone or something...