PDA

View Full Version : Netflix has come to Canada!!!!

Darcy Parker
09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Alright, for everyone else here stuck in this shithole of a joke of a country, we can finally subscribe to Netflix! Of course, we don;t get the disc rentals, just the streaming, and due to fucked-up distribution deals we only get a fraction of what is available in the U.S., but I guess it is better than nothing.

And, the first month is free!!!!! It is $7.99 a month, payable via credit card or PayPal. The PS3 player is out, and installs quickly from the Video menu in the XMB, and the picture quality is not bad. I am probably not going to cancel after the trial.

mark t
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
when you say it's "not bad"....i'm curious about this. I'm also curious as to how the speed of your internet connection affects the streaming.

Ian F
09-23-2010, 09:33 AM
when you say it's "not bad"....i'm curious about this. I'm also curious as to how the speed of your internet connection affects the streaming.

I can say in the US quality is great. Hell I was watching Pray for Death on my Iphone with the Netflix app and it looked great over 3G. Same with the HD copy (even though its not listed as HD) on the regular Netflix PS3 service.

Scott MacDonald
09-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I in the U.S. the quality is pretty good. I love this streaming service I've only been on it for like 2 months, but I'm addicted to it. My daughter was bored last night found that Princess and the Frog was just released, and chilled for however long it was on.

Darcy Parker
09-23-2010, 11:22 AM

I am on Shaw cable extreme speed, and the streams start instantly. The picture for HD stuff is about equal to most of my HD channels, but the SD stuff can be dodgy, lots of macroblocking on the episode of Red Dwarf I checked out.

Ian F
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I am on Shaw cable extreme speed, and the streams start instantly. The picture for HD stuff is about equal to most of my HD channels, but the SD stuff can be dodgy, lots of macroblocking on the episode of Red Dwarf I checked out.

Same happens with me in the US.

Yeah, I in the U.S. the quality is pretty good. I love this streaming service I've only been on it for like 2 months, but I'm addicted to it. My daughter was bored last night found that Princess and the Frog was just released, and chilled for however long it was on.

Bah, you need to watch Pray for Death with her or Revenge of the Ninja, both are valid Parent/Child movies!

mark t
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Darcy. Now here's a question for you.....how much does this affect people with downloading limits? I don't currently deal with that, but i know some that do...

Scott MacDonald
09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I am just happy to have another tool in my parental utility belt. Bored, , Read A Book, Play, DS, Wii, 360, Create Art, Write A Story, Walk the dog, play outside, call a friend, watch something on the Instant Queue.

RichardDoyle
09-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm probably going to give this a try. I have a laptop with an HD screen that I can hook up to my TV. I've never bothered to do this before but this provides motivation.

Down the line they're promising to directly support BD players and HDTV's with internet connections. I may finally have a use for the connection on my BD player.

RichardDoyle
09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Darcy. Now here's a question for you.....how much does this affect people with downloading limits? I don't currently deal with that, but i know some that do...

If it's streaming video, it may not count as a file download. It depends upon how they track that.

Ian F
09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
If it's streaming video, it may not count as a file download. It depends upon how they track that.

It does still count, it still transfer video even if streaming. I'm not sure how it's counted.

Mike S.
09-25-2010, 07:05 AM

It's rare, but streaming services have deals with various ISPs (Comcast, ATT, whatever) so that the streaming isn't counted against your allotment.

Netflix is not one of them. Streaming video eats into your data transfer limits as much as downloading.

mark t
09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I think that when the cable companies here also have a Movies on Demand service, AND are suppliers for the majority of the Cable internet services, there may not come a day when streaming movies doesn't count against your limit.

Armando Hernandez
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
well that's cool :D

mark t
11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Checked it out last night on the free trial, despite the slandering it's been taking in my circle of "movie nerd friends".

7.99 a month is not bad, but....the picture is not good. Granted, I don't have HD cable to compare it to, but I do have blu ray. The quality on these "HD" titles is about what i would expect from a decently compressed .avi download. Some of them have 5.1. Tested out PRINCE OF DARKNESS and Carpenter's VAMPIRES (I was pretty impressed to find these right off the bat), and the picture was not great. No 5.1 on either of these, not that it really matters.

The big turn-off here was complete lack of selection. Nothing. Their "New Arrivals" are at the newest, a year and a half to two years old. New Arrival in the Action/Adventure category....STREET FIGHTER.

Overall, not impressed. Maybe if they get more titles or somethign, but in the meantime, all set to cancel when the free trial runs out. The lackluster quality could be slightly forgiven if they had more of a catalog.

Oh, and they had DEATH FACTORY BLOODLETTING, which made me want to kick the crap out of my PS3. That movie BLOWS.

RichardDoyle
11-08-2010, 06:08 PM
The HD looks pretty good when I watched a couple. Are you sure you were actually getting it in HD? It does a measurement of available bandwidth when it starts and decides whether you can support HD or not. I started a movie when I had Torrent software running upstairs on my PC and that killed HD.

mark t
11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Some titles looked okay. I'm not too sure if it did this measurement that you speak of...it said HD on the selection screen, and let me pick 5.1 audio on some of the movies. My internet connection is high speed, shouldn't be a problem. A lot of friends of mine in Ontario are saying that they've noticed the same thing.....with the exception of a very few titles, none of the HD titles look particularly HD. They don't look horrible, they're just not good. As i said, comparable to an .avi download.

RichardDoyle
11-09-2010, 05:36 PM
It might be that the two HD titles I've watched were quite recent and shot on HD video. The only older film I watched wasn't HD in the first place.

Thomas D.
11-09-2010, 06:34 PM
That would be pretty funny if only Canadian movies were available. You search for Martin Scorsese and it says:
"No results found. Did you mean...Atom Egoyan?"

mark t
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Haha.....for sure. Richard, apparently 12 ROUNDS looks fabulous. I have yet to check it out.