PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter slander?

John G
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
On the 9/14/10 Screened.com podcast about 13 minutes in one of the commentators makes the assertion that John Carpenter(Halloween, The Thing, etc.) and John Carpenter, the alleged Bob Crane killer are the same person. I messaged them twice nicely that they are different people and that they should correct this statement. Well they haven't corrected it on the podcast or the website. I guess I just want to know if this is slander or libel? It's a fairly popular website and it seems really irresponsible to make such a mistaken and reputation damaging statement like this.

Andy Copp
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Were they trying to be funny or humorous? Because I think it is pretty much common knowledge among EVERYONE that they are not the same person. Wouldn't have killing someone have interrupted Carpenter's film career? Hello!

John G
09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Were they trying to be funny or humorous? Because I think it is pretty much common knowledge among EVERYONE that they are not the same person. Wouldn't have killing someone have interrupted Carpenter's film career? Hello!

I listened to it twice and he isn't joking. These guys are paid film critics, this isn't an amateur podcast or site.

Troy Howarth
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM
No doubt if and when he becomes aware of these irresponsible allegations, he'll sue for slander... Mind you, it IS kind of funny that professional film critics could be this effin stupid.

Dan Erdman
09-21-2010, 08:22 PM
These guys are paid film critics, this isn't an amateur podcast or site.

Really? Coulda fooled me...

David Lopez
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
The Crane-killin' Carpenter died several years ago. Even a cursory search on the web could have turned that up. Those guys need to do a little research.

Andrew Ellis
09-22-2010, 12:12 AM
What's really stupid is that isn't exactly obscure info. Willem Defoe played accused murderer John Carpenter in "Autofocus".And besides I think that whole murder happened around the height of director Carpenter's career (maybe he was mad because Crane was sleeping with Adrienne Barbeau, so he snuck away from the set of "Halloween"or "The Fog" to bash his head in with a tripod?) That's a pretty dumb mistake to make.

Ian F
09-22-2010, 12:16 AM

I never even knew the guys name was John Carpenter, that's such a dumbass mistake even not knowing that. On the subject itself, most I recall from Auto-Focus was my wife thought Crane was such a horrible human being she was happy when he got el klabonged with the tripod.

Vincent Pereira
09-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Love these internet podcats by self-proclaimed "film critics". The thing is, even if Carpenter (who they take such joy in bashing) had retired after making only DARK STAR, he still would have accomplished more than those two douchebags ever will. And besides that, the fact that they clearly don't realize that the John Carpenter from AUTO FOCUS is not the same John Carpenter-the-filmmaker (who has accomplished more than they ever can possibly dream to accomplish) just serves as an example of how sloppy and pathetic so much of the so-called "internet journalism" of their ilk is.

Vincent

Steven Millan
09-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Love these internet podcats by self-proclaimed "film critics". The thing is, even if Carpenter (who they take such joy in bashing) had retired after making only DARK STAR, he still would have accomplished more than those two douchebags ever will. And besides that, the fact that they clearly don't realize that the John Carpenter from AUTO FOCUS is not the same John Carpenter-the-filmmaker (who has accomplished more than they ever can possibly dream to accomplish) just serves as an example of how sloppy and pathetic so much of the so-called "internet journalism" of their ilk is.

Vincent

I tell you,everywhere you turn while on the 'Net there's always some wannabe Roger Ebert and Vincent Canby with a podcast,a movie blog(although there's several real good ones from half of the forum members here[such as {ex-forum member}Fred Adelman,Andy's,William's{with his good buddy Tom Simmons}, and Chris']),or a webcam(on YouTube)always telling us about a certain film,and its certain director/filmmaker,for there's so many of them that I've already lost count.

And BTW,I'm going to ignore whatever reviews(whether good or bad)when it comes to John Carpenter's new film THE WARD(as well as LET ME IN),for I've learned to just not go by anyone's word and see the film for myself and make my own conclusion after seeing the film.

Troy Howarth
09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Maybe this is why I avoid podcasts altogether? And I can't say I read anybody's blog, either.

paul h.
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
And BTW,I'm going to ignore whatever reviews(whether good or bad)when it comes to John Carpenter's new film THE WARD(as well as LET ME IN),for I've learned to just not go by anyone's word and see the film for myself and make my own conclusion after seeing the film.

Amen to that.

Daniel M
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Confusing an electronics salesman who hung around the HOGAN'S HEROES set with a world-class film director because they share the same name is just unfathomably stupid. Carpenter could easily sue for defamation.

Robert Graysmith's THE MURDER OF BOB CRANE served as the inspiration for AUTO FOCUS and, to this day, is still the most compelling true crime book I've ever read.

Todd J
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Robert Graysmith's THE MURDER OF BOB CRANE served as the inspiration for AUTO FOCUS and, to this day, is still the most compelling true crime book I've ever read.

I wondered if it was worth checking out. I dig both his Zodiac books, so I'll have to look this one up.

Derrick King
09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Maybe this is why I avoid podcasts altogether? And I can't say I read anybody's blog, either.

If you have any interest in stand up comedy, Marc Maron's WTF (http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/) is a must. Heck, even if you aren't a stand up fan, some of these would still be fascinating. (i.e. the 2-part Carlos [joke thief] Mencia)

As for movie related podcasts, the only one I listen to is Doug Loves Movies (http://douglovesmovies.com/)

Troy Howarth
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I'll have to check those out... I do love some good stand-up; seeing George Carlin live was a real treat back in the 90s...

Steve R
09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
If I have this right,

Slander is by word of mouth
Libel is in writing
and via podcast? Guess we'll need a new term.
Podcusation???

Daniel M
09-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Plibel or Podfamation.

Ian F
09-22-2010, 08:37 PM
And I can't say I read anybody's blog, either.

BOO! :p

Troy Howarth
09-22-2010, 08:58 PM
No offense, of course - it's simply that my time online is rather limited, and I tend to go either here or to my email. :)

Ian F
09-22-2010, 09:13 PM
No offense, of course - it's simply that my time online is rather limited, and I tend to go either here or to my email. :)

LOL.

That's fine! Actually, I rarely write the reviews anymore, I found someone early on who is far better than me, and well only a fool passes that up.

Funny thing about this thread was it got me to pull out BTILC today and finally get the soundtrack, so I guess some good came from it!

Troy Howarth
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Great soundtrack for a wonderful movie....

cworkman
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Vincent

This post is great!!! I absolutely agree, Vincent! The Internet has allowed anyone and everyone with the ability to type with two fingers to think that he or she is a serious film critic. Too bad these people almost always have more drive than they do talent.

Ian F
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Great soundtrack for a wonderful movie....

It is! I'm convinced if I ever have a professional fight (no clue why I would) or have some excuse for introduction music I want this from from 38 seconds onward to introduce me! :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RgcU_AZ3vI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RgcU_AZ3vI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's really amazing how diverse Carpenters music sounds, one movie never really sounds like another, it's hard to avoid slipping into reusing ones previous works. Although for some reason Prince of Darkness and They Live sound similar to me at times. Then again they were made within a one year period of each other (which I have to imagine was hectic for him).

Andrew Ellis
09-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with Troy. I like two-way (or more-than-two-way) conversation with fellow plebians, but blogs are too one-way, on one hand, but they also often lack the "learned authority" of a published book or magazine, on the other (not that those are necessarily always that learned or authoritative).

I don't mind movie blogs though, nearly as much as political blogs. I'm generally moderate politically, so I used to argue with both people on the right and left. Nowadays though they get all their "facts" from blogs, so they're often wrong or completely one-sided. I will be debating with somebody. and to prove a point they'll post a link to some blog written by someone as ignorant and generally anti-clever as they are, as if that proves anything (or as someone mentioned in another thread here, they'll post a link to "The Onion" or something, not realizing that it is SATIRE). I actually used to teach debate, and when my students had strong feelings on an issue, I had them argue the OTHER side as good practice. That's almost a lost art though in today's blog society.

Which is not to say you guys' fun, entertainment blogs are not good, but I've just had a hard time warming up to stuff like that (and Twitter, don't get me started on Twitter. . .)

Steve R
09-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah I love the EFNY soundtrack, too

However if we're talking stop 'em dead in their tracks cool
entrance music, I'd suggest another from the same era

The Long Good Friday

That opening intro theme played by sax n' synth is just
the coolest. by Francis Monkman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXxYKave6o

Daniel M
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
My favorite Carpenter composition is the opening them to ASSAULT FROM PRECINCT 13, with EFNY running a close second.

I also love the bit of Debussy (ENGULFED CATHEDRAL) he used in ESCAPE. Great, eerie arrangement.

Daniel M
09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Carpenter, Hooper, Bromley-Davenport, Figgis...Maybe it's just my own musically-snobbish background showing, but I do tend to have a thing for director/composers.

Troy Howarth
09-23-2010, 08:47 PM
My favorite Carpenter soundtrack is Prince of Darkness - that driving theme that plays over the end titles just does it for me. Assault on Precinct 13, Vampires, The Fog, Escape from New York, Christine... all great scores, too. Halloween, of course, is the most iconic. The film itself is crap, but Village of the Damned does have a great score. I like the remix of the Escape theme for Escape from LA. Truthfully, I like all the Carpenter scores - though Dark Star is far and away the least memorable, and I don't think In the Mouth of Madness has a score entirely deserving of its imagery and atmosphere. Carpenter's son, Cody, did a TERRIFIC score for Cigarette Burns; I'd love to have that central theme on CD.

Robin Bougie
09-24-2010, 06:31 AM
As for movie related podcasts, the only one I listen to is Doug Loves Movies (http://douglovesmovies.com/)

While not unentertaining, that is kind of an odd choice since that podcast (despite its name) has very little to do with movies. Mostly they just banter about whatever for awhile, and then play a guessing game based around cast credit listings in the Leonard Maltin book. Someone with absolutely zero knowledge about movies could host this show and it wouldn't be any different -- providing they had a copy of Maltins book to refer to.

Robin Bougie
09-24-2010, 06:35 AM

If you don't partake in something at all, how do you know what you're missing? Totally disregarding an entertainment medium because the majority of the content on it sucks, seems shortsighted. After all: 90% of all entertainment (regardless of the medium) totally blows. But there are nuggets of good stuff everywhere too.

Troy Howarth
09-24-2010, 07:17 AM
If you don't partake in something at all, how do you know what you're missing? Totally disregarding an entertainment medium because the majority of the content on it sucks, seems shortsighted. After all: 90% of all entertainment (regardless of the medium) totally blows. But there are nuggets of good stuff everywhere too.

Well, you have to admit that you're coming to this with a vested interest. ;) I don't think it's fair to call me shortsighted, however, as that implies that I'm missing out on something vital. I don't doubt that there are some great blogs out there - I'm sure yours is fine, for example, and as I already told Ian I'm not dismissing those who write them - but between watching and reading about films and coming here to discuss, I like to think I know more than the average bear. Mind you, I've never played the "expert" or "authority" card, and I'm not about to now. The few blogs I've tried - and I won't name names - tend to be overrun with ego. I'm sure there are some great ones, but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out that badly by not seeking them out... mind you, when I made that little post, I wasn't looking to damn anybody who writes for them or reads them. Truthfully, it's not even meant as a criticism of any kind; I just don't bother with them as a rule of thumb.

Derrick King
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
While not unentertaining, that is kind of an odd choice since that podcast (despite its name) has very little to do with movies. Mostly they just banter about whatever for awhile, and then play a guessing game based around cast credit listings in the Leonard Maltin book. Someone with absolutely zero knowledge about movies could host this show and it wouldn't be any different -- providing they had a copy of Maltins book to refer to.

I agree, I listen to DLM because it is funny. That is all it is, 45-50 minutes of comedy. I should've explicitly stated that Doug Loves Movies is a live comedy show that is supposed to be, but rarely is, about movies and not a serious movie podcast.

RichardDoyle
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Everyone has only so much time. I never go to see the ballet. Why? I like other things better and I don't have enough time to go. I am quite sure there's a lot of rewarding entertainment that I'm missing because I've never learned to appreciate the ballet, but I can live with that.

Robin Bougie
09-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I agree, I listen to DLM because it is funny. That is all it is, 45-50 minutes of comedy. I should've explicitly stated that Doug Loves Movies is a live comedy show that is supposed to be, but rarely is, about movies and not a serious movie podcast.

I'm with you, it is funny. I'm listening to the new one right now, actually!

Troy Howarth
09-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Everyone has only so much time. I never go to see the ballet. Why? I like other things better and I don't have enough time to go. I am quite sure there's a lot of rewarding entertainment that I'm missing because I've never learned to appreciate the ballet, but I can live with that.

I'd say that's a reasonable way of putting it. I can only repeat: when I said what I said, that wasn't a slam against bloggers per se... it's just something that doesn't interest me.