PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this World War 2 movie

Joe M
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
The scene I remember was a US soldier in a foxhole manning a water cooled machine gun ,(big round barrel),and mowing down wave after wave of japanese on a small hill (with a ravine in between),in white naval uniforms and eventually some made there way to the soldier .Then he jumps out of his foxhole and uses his pistol and hand to hand combat.And in the last scene it shows the dead japanese littered all over the hill.It was in color and I checked the ww2 movie database looking for it.Very memorable scene and you dont see many movies with the japanese wearing the white uniforms.

Daniel Robinette
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm not sure what movie this is but it sounds boss to me. I want to see it.

Alfred Chamberlain
09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
The uniforms are weird, but also the fact that it's in color.

Smells of Sam Fuller, but I can't place that scene in his ouvre.

Phil B.
09-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a scene in Fuller's THE STEEL HELMET (1951).

Problem is, it's in black and white and the enemy were Korean.

Alfred Chamberlain
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a scene in Fuller's THE STEEL HELMET (1951).

Problem is, it's in black and white and the enemy were Korean.

...I actually flashed on Fixed Bayonets, from the same year, as it is a siege movie, but it has the same two problems (Koreans and B&W).

The scene described here seems like it could be post-Peckinpah, because of the scope of its violence. When did you see the film? And can you recall if it was color or colorized?

Steve R
09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
That sounds a lot like
Bataan

it's got that machine gun ending you describe,
but it's black and white, and the enemy at the
end is rendered mostly in sound effects. So well
you can see them.

maybe you saw a colorized version?

Joe M
09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow, didnt think about korean movies,I remember this scene from the 70's on TV.Thanks for the feedback and the titles.Seems like a Beach Red 60's type movie.