PDA

View Full Version : Question about vhs companies promotional items

Daniel Robinette
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I have an amazing Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 shirt that in the picture you will see the Media/Cannon Films logo's. I was curious if this shirt was a common shirt sold in stores back in the 80's or if the shirt was a promotional tshirt only given to video stores?

Any help would be grateful.

Matthew BB
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I would see a shirt with the same design available for order in Fangoria and Gorezone back in like 88-89. But I don't think it had the Cannon/Media info at the bottom.

This reminds of all the TCM2 promo materials that were on display at my local video store when it was first released way back. Posters, masks, a Leatherface cardboard stand up....the store gave them away, but people would have to act REALLY fast. Everyone was going apeshit for that stuff.

The only thing that I ever managed to get from there was a flat cardboard mask with a string on the back promoting the first TOXIC AVENGER.

Daniel Robinette
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I remember when TCM 2 came out on video because our local video store had the Cardboard Stand Up. Anyways thanks for the reply. I've had this shirt for a few years now. My buddy found it in a goodwill and he knew how big of a horror fiend I am so he bought it for me. I'm very curious to know how rare this particular shirt is.

Kieran M
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
That shirt (with Cannon logo) was indeed sold in the pages of Fango, and through FANTACO (which is where I picked mine up back in the day). It was also available as a sweatshirt.

An odd promo item that was released at the time of the VHS release was a bag of "TCM 2 CHILI MIX". For real! It has the poster artwork on one side of the paper-bag (about the size of a small bag of popcorn), and inside is an unmarked/blank package of (what I presume to be) chili mix. Amusing.

Daniel Robinette
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
That shirt (with Cannon logo) was indeed sold in the pages of Fango, and through FANTACO (which is where I picked mine up back in the day). It was also available as a sweatshirt.

An odd promo item that was released at the time of the VHS release was a bag of "TCM 2 CHILI MIX". For real! It has the poster artwork on one side of the paper-bag (about the size of a small bag of popcorn), and inside is an unmarked/blank package of (what I presume to be) chili mix. Amusing.

Thanks for the info Kieran! That's awesome about the TCM 2 chili mix promo. Do you still have your shirt?

Kieran M
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info Kieran! That's awesome about the TCM 2 chili mix promo. Do you still have your shirt?
Hey Daniel- yup, still have the shirt, sad to say ;) I'm kinda pathetic when it comes to hanging-onto horror-related stuff, even when it's a beat-up old shirt with cracked letters (the puffy red letters that spell out the film name all cracked on my shirt).

Daniel Robinette
09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm the same way when it comes to my shirts. I'm just lucky my shirt has stayed in the shape has been in and its been washed numerous times. I'm going to frame this bad boy.

Daniel Robinette
09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
double post