PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Wasteland 10th Aniversary Show

42nd Street Pete
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry I haven't been here for awhile. When you wind up the caretaker for your 80 something year old parents, your time isn't your own anymore. This October marks Cinema Wasteland's 10th aniversary. HG Lewis, Camile Keaton and Reggie Banister were the fan's vote to return. First timers include Gloria Hendry, Jim Van Bebber, Caeter Stevens , Carol speed and others.

Onece again I will have a deal for you DVD collectors. Being no store carries this stuff anymore, I'll have an exploitation smorgasborg of Nazis, Nuns, bikers, Zombies, Cannibal, Kunf Fu & More. All priced bewtween $5 & $10 each. I'll have three releases of my own, plus my daughtre's DVD , Atomic Bombshells of the 50's.

Trust me, this show is well worth attending.

Matthew B.
09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm attending, but then again, I never miss a show. I'll be by your table to make some purchases for sure.

Keith B.
09-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Wish I could attend, but I'm going to Monstermania this weekend.

Jason Lee
09-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Jim Van Bebber!!!...LOL, I hope he behaves himself!!

Would LOVE to meet THAT guy..

Andrew Ellis
09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Sorry I'm a little dense here, but hasn't Cinema Wasteland been around a lot longer than ten years?

I remember in the mid 90's I broke up with one of my girlfriends because I had what I think was one of their catalogs lying around with a cover illustration of this monster butcher selling all these chopped up female body parts, which my girlfriend found very offensive, and I didn't want to continue dating such a hypersensitive person. So I could have conceivably been married to a hypersensitive militant feminist if it weren't for the company that I seem to remember as Cinema Wasteland.

Is this a different company? Or maybe it's just been ten years since you started having conventions?

Alex K.
09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
You may be thinking of Chiller.

Keith B.
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Cinema Wasteland is put on by Video Wasteland....they've been at other cons as vendors for quite a long time before deciding to put on their own show.

Andrew Ellis
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
THAT explains it. I also remember now that Video Wasteland became Cinema Wasteland at some point. So was Pete ever involved with Video Wasteland? And did he, by chance, do that cover illustration? (Actually, I kind of like tasteless, un-PC stuff like that simply because it's tasteless and un-PC).

Oh, yeah and the convention line-up sounds cool--I didn't mean to go off on this rather irrelevant tangent. . .

Andy Copp
09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Ken Kish runs Cinema Wasteland and has always run Video Wasteland the old movie rental by mail service you are remembering. He has been doing this business for years and years, I have that old catalog too. I can't for the life of me remember who did the art for it though.

Keith B.
09-21-2010, 11:33 PM
I've never been to a Cinema Wasteland show......how does it compare in terms of size to Chiller, Monstermania, etc.?

42nd Street Pete
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
How does Wasteland compare to Chiller or Monster Mania? It Doesn't . There are no endless lines for autographs, there is a screening, panel, or film from the minute the con opens to the minute it closes. The promoter doesn't charge a fee($300) to show and indy film like Monster Mania does. No autograph is priced more than $20 where Chiller lets the guests ass rape the fans for signatures. Real horror, drive in & Grindhouse merchandise. People selling REAL DVDs. No egos here. A real party atmophere. No "promoter " playing that they are the star of their own show. A great no bullshit con that caters to the fans. How many conventions let the fans vote to bring back their favorite guests? And the fact that I'm willing to drive 8 hours with a bad back to get there. Anymore questions?

Frankie T.
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
People selling REAL DVDs.

When I flew out to Cinema Wasteland last year from California, there were plenty of tables selling boots. Just saying :)

Being that my only other experience with Horror Conventions (being on the West Coast) is Fangoria's/Creation Entertainment's Weekend Of Horrors, I have to say personally where I thought Cinema Wasteland excelled were the variety of guests and the intimacy/atmosphere. That alone was worth flying all the way out there for it.

Vendors room was great. Packed with wall to wall stuff and I loved seeing all my favorite companies there representing all of their stuff on DVD (Synapse, Toe Tag Pictures, etc.)