PDA

View Full Version : Gangster movies on TCM Wed nite 9/15/10

Steve R
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
TCM PRIME TIME FEATURE: ALL-STARS OF PROHIBITION

8:00pm EST Al Capone (1959)
Chicago's most notorious gangster rules the city ruthlessly.
Cast: Rod Steiger, Fay Spain, James Gregory, Martin Balsam Dir: Richard Wilson BW-104 mins, TV-PG

10:00pm EST Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond (1960)
A small-time thief kills his way to the top of the New York rackets.
Cast: Ray Danton, Karen Steele, Elaine Stewart, Jesse White Dir: Budd Boetticher BW-101 mins

12:00am EST King of the Roaring 20s: The Story of Arnold Rothstein (1961)
A gangster rises to the top of the gambling racket.
Cast: David Janssen, Dianne Foster, Mickey Rooney, Jack Carson Dir: Joseph M. Newman BW-106 mins, TV-14

2:00am EST Lepke (1975)
A mobster sets up a murder for hire racket serving the nation's top gang bosses.
Cast: Tony Curtis, Anjanette Comer, Michael Callan, Warren Berlinger Dir: Menahem Golan C-110 mins

4:00am EST Mad Dog Coll (1961)
A young hood kills his way to the top of the mob.
Cast: John Davis Chandler, Kay Doubleday, Brooke Hayward, Neil Nephew Dir: Burt Balaban BW-87 mins, TV-PG

Steve R
09-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Haven't seen Al Capone in years,
but remember Steiger being very good in it.

Legs Diamond directed by Budd Boetticher, though known for westerns
did some good crime/noir stuff, too.
Lepke was a pre-Canon Golan film.

Anyone know these ?

Jonathan H.
09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Haven't seen Al Capone in years,
but remember Steiger being very good in it.

Legs Diamond directed by Budd Boetticher, though known for westerns
did some good crime/noir stuff, too.
Lepke was a pre-Canon Golan film.

Anyone know these ?

Don't know all of these, but been wanting to see LEGS DIAMOND for years. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alfred Chamberlain
09-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Don't know all of these, but been wanting to see LEGS DIAMOND for years. Thanks for the heads-up!

All I had to see was B-o-e-t-t-i-c-h-e-r and I went straight to the DVR...

RichardDoyle
09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm recording "The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond" and "Mad Dog Call" since they're AWOL on DVD.

There's a bunch of Hammer Horror nights Fridays in October.

October 1 - Horror of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Dracula, Prince of Darkness and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

October 8 - Plague of the Zombies, The Devil's Bride, The Reptile & The Gorgon

October 15 - The Mummy, The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Shroud and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

October 22 - X the Unknown, Five Million Years to Earth, These Are the Damned and Stranglers of Bombay

October 29 - Curse of Frankenstein, Revenge of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Created Woman and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Steve R
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Good stuff
Nice to see the Hammer Horrors populating TCM this October.

Looking forward to spending some quality time with
my prohibition friends tonight :cool:

Jon Houghton
09-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm recording "The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond" and "Mad Dog Call" since they're AWOL on DVD.

There's a bunch of Hammer Horror nights Fridays in October.

October 1 - Horror of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Dracula, Prince of Darkness and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

October 8 - Plague of the Zombies, The Devil's Bride, The Reptile & The Gorgon

October 15 - The Mummy, The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Shroud and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb

October 22 - X the Unknown, Five Million Years to Earth, These Are the Damned and Stranglers of Bombay

October 29 - Curse of Frankenstein, Revenge of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Created Woman and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

see it is shit like this that makes me wish you could pick and choose what channels you want when you subscribe to cable. I NEVER watch t.v. but I would totally be down for TCM and any other great movie channels; most other t.v. channels can go jump in a lake for all I care. Thanks a lot Richard, now you got me wanting to subscribe to cable :) :)

Steve R
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond.

What a moment.

So Legs take his new girl out to a club where they're having a dance contest.
She wants to win and points out the only couple she thinks will give them
any serious competition. Legs take out a cigarette, drops it and calmly bends down to retrieve it. He take a moment to light it AND the dress of that lady.
Sure enough she catches fire and her partner has to throw her down and douse her with drinks from the bar. Her dress is ruined, she's all wet and they are out of the contest.

The new girl looks at Legs and says, "Wow."

Cha cha cha, Legs!

RichardDoyle
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
see it is shit like this that makes me wish you could pick and choose what channels you want when you subscribe to cable. I NEVER watch t.v. but I would totally be down for TCM and any other great movie channels; most other t.v. channels can go jump in a lake for all I care. Thanks a lot Richard, now you got me wanting to subscribe to cable :) :)

I would definitely like to pick only the channels I want. I'd love to pay for movie channels and dump most of the networks, but they don't offer packages like that.